Centennial @ Franklin

zoosee12

i want to say a whole lot to a lot of different people, but unlike some people i have respect for other members on the board no matter how obscene,rude, or wrong there comments are, so im going to leave it at that....

...on to the actual topic itself, Centennial wins this game by a field goal. heres why, ive been following CHS football since they opened, my sister was in the band, her class was the first class to go from fresh. to seniors. she was in band, i was at all the home and some away games as kid, and i wasnt the typical kid who got up and ran around, often times i was on the fence with the students cheering for centennial...fast forward a few years....im now a junior at CHS having followed the program for close to 9 years, and from as far back as can remember, Centennial has only won the game the week before Franklin once! and that year was 2004 my freshman year, that was the year CHS had the lead late into the third quarter, and we lost cause a) the team got the 'big head at halftime' b ) we fumbled and FHS scored and we could get it going again.

Centennial won last week, marking only the second time they've won the week before franklin! granted the team that year was one of the best the school has ever had, but i see alot of simularities in that team, as the team thats here now. and personally this team has most potential/talent/drive to win, than any other team ive been around...and for those reasons Centennial wins this game 10-7

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too have been around Centennial since it's inception, with son's that played. Having a son that played for Franklin including the State Championship game as a senior - and now following the both programs as a fan.

I haven't seen Centennial live this year - just on Channel 3 or 9. Regardless of the win last week, their defense has not shown enough to keep Franklin to only 7 points. As well, you haven't paid much attention to Franklin's Defense - no way does Centennial score twice. This squad is too quick to the ball, too disciplined in their assignments, and simply more athletic than the offensive line from Centennial.

Barring a Miracle - Franklin goes up by 3 scores by halftime, and subs in judiciously in the second half. Enough to rest some players, but not too much to keep the momentum for the playoffs.

It's tough to get respect at 1-8. It's tough to get respect when it's the same old story year in and year out at CHS - Great Fans, Good Athletes - Poor Coaching.

No doubt you are not the same team as earlier in the year. Everyone improves as the season progresses. Sophomores are paying more like Juniors and so on....

But every team holds this claim. What hasn't changed is the weakness that has always plagued this team. When it gets to crunch time - old habits die hard.

Maybe 45 - 6 was an outrageous prediction, and yes it is a cross town game (I have a hard time calling it a rivalry until CHS wins one) - so throw out the records and the stats. It still comes down to coaching the players up and game planning (offensively and defensively) and for the simple reason of Donnie Webb coaching up the defense - I still say Franklin big!

Edited by faninthestand

i still think it will be closer than what everyone is thinking

emotionally centennials team and fans are on highs and we want to go out with a bang

centennial finally found an offense that works and the fans are as loud as they've ever been

and we're bringin back the kilt tradition that was left about 4 years ago

Zoosey, my buddy. I love you man, but I don't know what's more crazy, you predicting Centennial by 4 or you saying the fans are as loud as they've ever been.

Faninthestand can probably testify to this, Centennial always had better fans than the results on the field probably waranted. Then when they finally made made the playoffs in '02, the fans were absolutely insane (that was the kilt year). I was at the Columbia game with a friend from Northeast Ohio (they know a bit about h/s football) and we both remarked that student section was one of the smallest we've ever seen at a high school game.

I admire your school spirit and that of some of your friends, but I've talked to other alums my year and old and we almost always remark on how the crowd has drastically died down over the past 2 years.

faninstand,

Hypothetical question for you, just for fun. A lot of people think the year Franklin went to the State championship game, Centennial had their most talented team yet even though it failed to make the playoffs (went 6-4 but missed out on tie breakers). You probably remember some guys on that team, Meggs, Steele, Dumke, Wolfe, Buchannan. [/i] If coaching was equal, do you think Centennial would have beaten Franklin in the regular season and been the WilCo high school in the championship game?

I think Franklin was superior in kicking and at linebacker, but centennial was better on the line and had more playmakers. I know you've seen more high school than me, and so I was just curious what you think. Don't answer if you don't want to.

The 2003 and 2004 teams were loaded, and were in the mix to win the title. But as it so often happens in this region, coaching ability is a real difference maker. From the offseason to the practices- and more importantly- the preparation for an opponent and the game time decisions are the real distinction between winning games and wondering how you lost. Talent-wise, Centennial had the horses then to go far. They've often had enough talent to go to the playoffs

It is only speculation, but put Tim Johnson or Ron Crawford in charge of that bunch and things would've been different. But of course, those two coaches wouldn't have run the wishbone, and they DEFINITELY wouldn't have blown winning opportunities like they seem to do time and again. What would've been Centennial's history had Brock stayed and not gone the college route?

However, it is a dangerous game to speculate on what might have happened or could've happened. What about injuries? What would have been Antioch's fate had Coker not gotten hurt? Or Gallatin's fate without the ineligible player issue?

It is what it is.

Centennial loses by 20.

faninstand,

Hypothetical question for you, just for fun. A lot of people think the year Franklin went to the State championship game, Centennial had their most talented team yet even though it failed to make the playoffs (went 6-4 but missed out on tie breakers). You probably remember some guys on that team, Meggs, Steele, Dumke, Wolfe, Buchannan. [/i] If coaching was equal, do you think Centennial would have beaten Franklin in the regular season and been the WilCo high school in the championship game?

I think Franklin was superior in kicking and at linebacker, but centennial was better on the line and had more playmakers. I know you've seen more high school than me, and so I was just curious what you think. Don't answer if you don't want to.

I know this question wasn't directed towards me but I feel compelled to comment on this, considering I was on the sidelines 4 yrs with centennial when they had superior talent to compete with franklin and make noise in the playoffs.

In 2004, Centennial should've beaten Franklin. There were some coaches (I'm not going to say all b/c there were only a few that were listened to on the sidelines) that didn't know how to make adjustments and didn't know how to coach in the "clutch". Centennial had more than enough talent to make a serious run in the playoffs but once again certain coaches didn't know how to make crucial decisions when they needed to be made. If you look back on the 2004 team, all the playmakers that were on the team are now, playing college football, not seating on the bench but are actually PLAYING. Now you tell me what needs to be done at Centennial. Centennial will never have a chance to beat Franklin unless they possess the quality athletes that the 2003/2004 team had. That's my thoughts.

Just for fun:

If Centennial had Tim Johnson and Franklin had Coach Gregory - no doubt in my mind Centennial has a better shot at winning in 2004 and in many other years. Not just due to Coach Johnson, but to his ability to surround himself with other coaches (Webb and Nowell) that couuld get the most out of student athletes game in and game out. No one was ever more prepared going into a game thaning the Rebels during Johnson's 3 year tenure.

in '04 - CHS had the better O Line and Franklin better Kicking (I'm slightly biased on that one), but after that I would probably say from an athlete standpoint it was a draw.

QB - Mikrut had more drive and hard nose play about him (similar to Bates) but I think the CHS QB that year was a good athlete but under coached)

RB - Steele was a talent for sure, but Darrien Waters was equal to if not better - mainly due to his ability to throw from the RB position (6 touchdown passes in 7 attempts) Steele was dangerous from a return standpoint, but Franklin had Hewitt who could also break it at anytime. Add in the Franklin Punter and Kicker and they took Steele out of that game.

Receiver - Meigs was good but in their scheme never developed. Hewitt, Campbell, Bryant (TE) plus others gave Franklin the edge here.

D Line - Bubba Lane, Tim Leach, Brooks Plummer, Carl Gilliam, Ben Seale brought it game in and game out. I know Dumke and other from CHS were strong that year as well.

Rest of the D - Unsung hero year in my mind was Franklin's Mac Hibbett. Played DE, OLB, CB, Spy whatever was asked of him and week after week had highlight after highlight.

Probably the most evenly matched year in this 10 year old Battle of Franklin - and no doubt the one I will always remember - Big Tim Leach picking up the fumble middle of the Fourth QTR and rumbling 79 yards the other way (out running Steele) for the deciding TD. Frustrating for CHS as they were driving, unbelievable for Franklin.

Just for fun:

If Centennial had Tim Johnson and Franklin had Coach Gregory - no doubt in my mind Centennial has a better shot at winning in 2004 and in many other years. Not just due to Coach Johnson, but to his ability to surround himself with other coaches (Webb and Nowell) that couuld get the most out of student athletes game in and game out. No one was ever more prepared going into a game thaning the Rebels during Johnson's 3 year tenure.

in '04 - CHS had the better O Line and Franklin better Kicking (I'm slightly biased on that one), but after that I would probably say from an athlete standpoint it was a draw.

QB - Mikrut had more drive and hard nose play about him (similar to Bates) but I think the CHS QB that year was a good athlete but under coached)

RB - Steele was a talent for sure, but Darrien Waters was equal to if not better - mainly due to his ability to throw from the RB position (6 touchdown passes in 7 attempts) Steele was dangerous from a return standpoint, but Franklin had Hewitt who could also break it at anytime. Add in the Franklin Punter and Kicker and they took Steele out of that game.

Receiver - Meigs was good but in their scheme never developed. Hewitt, Campbell, Bryant (TE) plus others gave Franklin the edge here.

D Line - Bubba Lane, Tim Leach, Brooks Plummer, Carl Gilliam, Ben Seale brought it game in and game out. I know Dumke and other from CHS were strong that year as well.

Rest of the D - Unsung hero year in my mind was Franklin's Mac Hibbett. Played DE, OLB, CB, Spy whatever was asked of him and week after week had highlight after highlight.

Probably the most evenly matched year in this 10 year old Battle of Franklin - and no doubt the one I will always remember - Big Tim Leach picking up the fumble middle of the Fourth QTR and rumbling 79 yards the other way (out running Steele) for the deciding TD. Frustrating for CHS as they were driving, unbelievable for Franklin.

I will agree for the most part about everything you said. Steele and Waters is a wash, Waters was utilized differently than Steele, but Steele was more dangerous with the ball as far as carries go. All in all, Franklin escaped with the victory in 04 and Centennial will never come that close again, until they get the talent level back up and they make a coaching change. And PLEASE, don't disrespect Steele by saying that Leach out ran him 79 yards for the td. Steele was tackled on the play, and Leach ran with a convoy that shielded him from Lambert and Meggs. Check the tape

when i refer to centennial football games being as lous as ever i was refering to the noise of the past couple of years

my freshman year there was a good deal of noise there

my sophmore and this being my junior, spirit here practically died

but the brentwood game finally proved to the school that we can hang with williamson county schools once again and thus the columbia game was the loudest it has been at centennial in 2 years

and it is only gonna get abot 3 times as loud this week at the franklin game

hpefully soon centennial might be able to get back to the spirit of 2002 and 2003

and to the comment 3 above mine:

we have those type of playmakers right now

scales at qb doesnt neccesarily have an great arm but has great speed and will be working on throwing on the run

kelly at WR has made some spectacular catches down the sideline over the season

frashad barlow can score at any moment if you get him the ball in the open field

mcclemore has an abundant ammount of interceptions this season (3 in one game)

hunt and thompson are hard hitters and have great speed on the OLB positions

ingram was a really hard hitter before he broke his leg

once bass gets back from injuries we'll actually have a kicker who can kick field goals

barlar is 4th in the state in punting averagin 40.8 yards a punt

hogan is one of the best linemans i have ever seen in high schoool and he plays both ways

lamont harris is a good saftey who has developed over the season

hardison can power foward for many yards(kind of reminds me of magochey or cohen)

and many others could make this team at any moment very dangerous

they just have to learn consistancy

whats great about this centennial team is that there are so many underclassmen playing so next year centennial should be back in contention

Edited by zoosee12