Seeding Teams for the Playoffs would be much Fairer

basketballisbest

I think they should change the Region vs. Region play in the play-offs. Keep East and West with 4 regions each but one year let Region 2 play Region 3 and then the next let Region 2 play Region 4 and so on and so on.

Now that could work ... alternate region matchups ... but keep it between the four on eaqch side.

One year ... 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4 ... and so on. The next year ... 1 vs 3, 2 vs 4 ... and so on. Alternating each year and also alternating the homefield advantage portion as well. Now ... THAT I could go for. No subjectiveness involved.

The private/public split should stay that way. They split for a reason ... let's not beat on a dead horse!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a matter of being stuck in a rut. It's a matter of what's the most unbiased way to do it. If seeding can be done WITHOUT any subjectiveness then I am for it. It can't be done. As long as there is any hint of subjectiveness ... i'm not for it. The current way leaves no doubt. Since seeding can't be done without subjectiveness ... I'll never be for it. The travel and region play is just a bonus. You can't seed statewide or regionally without bias. Can't be done.

Just let the teams play it out and pick the top four in the regions the way it is done now. If two good region teams have to face each other then what some people would like ... so be it. You are going to have to win them one game at a time anyway.

I don't see anything wrong with arranging the brackets based on wins-losses. I mean it may turn out that Riverdale plays a 3-7 or 4-6 team in round one, while Gallatin looks like they will play a 6-4 or 7-3 defending champ. At the moment Gallatin is 9-0 and Riverdale is 8-1. If both teams win next week wouldn't and an unbiased seeding arrangment dictate that the undefeated team(s) play the teams that get in with the fewest wins?

Flip that scenario on its head- Ravenwood, if they finish 7-3, doesn't deserve to have to face an undefeated team in the first round if there are teams that are 6-4,5-5, or worse out there, do they? Why do they have to face a tougher road?

Or how about this?

If Ravenwood and Cookeville both win this week they will each finish 7-3, yet one has to go on the road, the other plays at home.

I don't think this idea is really that bad. Like I suggested earlier, you could split the state in half if you want to avoid a West team traveling to the far East, but it is worth a look.

The bottom line with a playoff system is you get a true champion no matter what the scenarios are. There is no way you can run all over the state economically, u have some systems that can barely afford to have a sports program.Why send a team all the way across state with families haveing to go that far and flip that kind of expense to see a first round playoff game? Or having a region champ travel somewhere to play somebody who finished 2nd or 3rd in there region, because they have a higher seed.Each region is equally represented and it falls to the playn on the field as to who is the best.You have to play your way there, just because one region is tougher than another doesn't mean nothing.If your not the best team in your region then by no means are you the best in the state or should you recieve favor over a team that has busted its butt and won its region even though there region may be weaker. I agree you may not always get the best 2 in the championship but then again does it ever really happen at any level.Does the super bowl always have the best 2 teams or is the best 2 sometimes in the same division.Ive seen many years where Tennessee and Florida were the best 2 teams in the SEC but yet only one can go to the championship.The bottom line is to be the best you have to beat them regardless if its round 1 or the championship.The way it is now there is nothing political about it and its as economical as possible.Each team knows from spring practice on what they face to get there and win it, no political suprises and nothing controling there destiny but the playing on the field.Thats the way it should be :P I agree there is some questions to records some making it 3-7 and some not making it at7-3.The bottom line is if your not good enough to at least finish in the top 4 in your conference you dont need to be there.Many teams could schedule powder puffs as non-conference games to have a record, that really means nothing.Alot of teams scedule tough non-conference games to help prepare them for conference and playoff games.Why should those teams be punished for not taking the easy road and are earning there spot in the playoffs by finishing in the top 4 in conference again they know from day one what they must do to get there, period.Again if there is 4 teams field proven better than you are in 1 conference then how can you really be deserving of any oppertunities.

Edited by backinblack

I've never thought it was fair at all to see Maryville and Knox. Central in 3-4A play in the round of 16 every year! Both of these teams have been in the top 5 statewide the past 6 or 7 years (Central is a bit down this year), and every year one of them has to lose before they even get to the quarterfinals. That just doesn't seem right, but that's what we get with our regional playoff system.

No more D1 or D2! Place all teams in one division with 4 classifications and use the Merit System for the football playoffs. Teams that have 6 wins and do not qualify for the playoffs may attend a bowl game.

I like that!

I think they should change the Region vs. Region play in the play-offs. Keep East and West with 4 regions each but one year let Region 2 play Region 3 and then the next let Region 2 play Region 4 and so on and so on.

Good thought. Rotating the regions is a much better situation than we have today.

A lot of good points out there, but another point that needs to be addressed: there are teams with 3-6 records going to the playoffs and at least one team at 7-3 (Independence) that will not, simply because of the strength of the region they are in. Does this or any replacement system address that scenario?

I fully agree. I don't like the fact that a team with a losing record gets in the playoffs just because they are in a weak region.

The bottom line with a playoff system is you get a true champion no matter what the scenarios are. There is no way you can run all over the state economically, u have some systems that can barely afford to have a sports program.Why send a team all the way across state with families haveing to go that far and flip that kind of expense to see a first round playoff game? Or having a region champ travel somewhere to play somebody who finished 2nd or 3rd in there region, because they have a higher seed.Each region is equally represented and it falls to the playn on the field as to who is the best.You have to play your way there, just because one region is tougher than another doesn't mean nothing.If your not the best team in your region then by no means are you the best in the state or should you recieve favor over a team that has busted its butt and won its region even though there region may be weaker. I agree you may not always get the best 2 in the championship but then again does it ever really happen at any level.Does the super bowl always have the best 2 teams or is the best 2 sometimes in the same division.Ive seen many years where Tennessee and Florida were the best 2 teams in the SEC but yet only one can go to the championship.The bottom line is to be the best you have to beat them regardless if its round 1 or the championship.The way it is now there is nothing political about it and its as economical as possible.Each team knows from spring practice on what they face to get there and win it, no political suprises and nothing controling there destiny but the playing on the field.Thats the way it should be :blink: I agree there is some questions to records some making it 3-7 and some not making it at7-3.The bottom line is if your not good enough to at least finish in the top 4 in your conference you dont need to be there.Many teams could schedule powder puffs as non-conference games to have a record, that really means nothing.Alot of teams scedule tough non-conference games to help prepare them for conference and playoff games.Why should those teams be punished for not taking the easy road and are earning there spot in the playoffs by finishing in the top 4 in conference again they know from day one what they must do to get there, period.Again if there is 4 teams field proven better than you are in 1 conference then how can you really be deserving of any oppertunities.

I think if Tennessee adopted a playoff system similar to Virginia's it would ease travel costs and make for better playoff games. Of course, there would only be 16 teams from each classification earning a spot instead of 32.

The only drawback is that Virginia's regions consist of teams that are located close to one another, as opposed to a school's population.

I've never thought it was fair at all to see Maryville and Knox. Central in 3-4A play in the round of 16 every year! Both of these teams have been in the top 5 statewide the past 6 or 7 years (Central is a bit down this year), and every year one of them has to lose before they even get to the quarterfinals. That just doesn't seem right, but that's what we get with our regional playoff system.

What's not FAIR about Maryville and Knoxville Central having to face each other in the round of 16 every year? Who gives a flying Fig Newton if they have both been in the top 5 statewide every year according to some rating system? Who's to say that whatever rating system is used isn't flawed? That's besides the point though ... Both schools know how the system works ... If Central can't beat Maryville to get to Murpheesboro ... tough cookies. That's the kind of thinking that makes me love the existing system that's in place now. No one is going to 'separate' two great programs just to avoid them meeting earlier then what some folks think that they should. That in itself is a form of bias. I know the argument ... "well ... why should they have to face each other this early in the playoffs because they are two of the better teams in 4A." HOGWASH and HORSE MANURE! That sort of thinking is the start of biasness. You play the regionals first and work your way out. NO EXCEPTIONS.

I want to address the teams making it into the playoffs with losing records issue. IT IS FAIR. You may not like it, but the teams that get in did it according to the dictates of the system. What's the fuss about? So, they got in ... more then likely they will be put out in the first round. If not, the team they beat wasn't as good as people thought they were. I'd rather have 2-8 or 3-6 teams in the playoffs them having some committee somewhere cherry picking what team goes where according to wins/losses or whatever criteria that is to be used. BIAS will enter the picture in that scenario, whether it is premeditated or subliminal, there is NO way around it. I care more about unbias selection and placement then I do about 'perceived' worthiness.

Top four teams in the region go to the playoffs. No way for anybody to manipulate the system. It’s the only way to INSURE non bias selection and placement.

Edited by kwc

Nothing is perfect, but if TN would take the top four teams in each region (I know this still leaves some teams out), and seed them it would be much fairer and more balanced for the playoffs.

Let's look at an example using the 5A classification (obviously some of these spots are not yet determined and I used current records):

#1 Seed: Dobyns Bennett (9-0) would play # 32 Seed: Cordova (3-6)

#2 Seed: Gallatin (9-0) would play # 31 Seed: Coffee County (3-6)

#3 Seed: Ooltewah (9-0) would play #30 Seed: Warren County (4-5)

#4 Seed: Riverdale (8-1) would play #29 Seed: Antioch (5-4)

#5 Seed: Ridgeway (9-0) would play #28 Seed: Hunters Lane (5-4)

#6 Seed: Franklin (8-1) would play #27 Seed: Hendersonvill (5-4)

#7 Seed: Sevier County (8-2) would play # 26 Seed: William Blount (5-4)

#8 Seed: Houston (7-2) would play # 25 Seed: Science Hill (6-3)

#9 Seed: White Station (8-1) would play #24 Seed: Germantown (5-4)

#10 Seed: Dickson County (7-2) would play #23 Seed: LaVergne (6-3)

#11 Seed: Wooddale (8-1 would play #22 Seed: Lincoln County (6-3)

#12 Seed: Smyrna (7-2) would play #21 Seed: Millington (6-3)

#13 Seed: Farragut (6-3) would play #20 Seed: Brentwood (6-3)

#14 Seed: Ravenwood (6-3) would play #19 Seed: Lebanon (6-3)

#15 Seed: Cookeville (6-3) would play #18 Seed: McMinn County (6-3)

#16 Seed: Bearden (6-3) would play #17 Seed: Bolton (6-3)

You would seed the brackets and then play it off. The downside is travel expenses for teams. The upside is a greater chance that if one part of the state is stronger than another there is a greater chance that a team that loses once or twice to better competition won't have to face those same teams again earlier in the playoffs. It also increases the chance that your best two teams would make it to the finals. This could be done for each classification.

I am just curious, who would you suggest seed these teams, I look at your example and wonder how it is that DB is seeded above Ridgeway and Dickson county above Wooddale, and I know who Dickson county has lost to. I do not know who Sevier county has lost to and really do not care, because I do not know who all that these teams have beaten and who they have beaten, the current system seeds teams based on very similar schedules playing in region teams and using whatever system you suggest for seeding well it just would not be as accurate and as fair as you might think. There are undefeated teams out there that really have not played top notch opponents and there are teams out there that have lost 3 games that have played top teams, Dickson coutny for example, losses to Franklin and Riverdale, but they are 7-2, they must not be as good as OOTLEWAH.

Edited by West TN football

What's not FAIR about Maryville and Knoxville Central having to face each other in the round of 16 every year? Who gives a flying Fig Newton if they have both been in the top 5 statewide every year according to some rating system? Who's to say that whatever rating system is used isn't flawed? That's besides the point though ... Both schools know how the system works ... If Central can't beat Maryville to get to Murpheesboro ... tough cookies. That's the kind of thinking that makes me love the existing system that's in place now. No one is going to 'separate' two great programs just to avoid them meeting earlier then what some folks think that they should. That in itself is a form of bias. I know the argument ... "well ... why should they have to face each other this early in the playoffs because they are two of the better teams in 4A." HOGWASH and HORSE MANURE! That sort of thinking is the start of biasness. You play the regionals first and work your way out. NO EXCEPTIONS.

I want to address the teams making it into the playoffs with losing records issue. IT IS FAIR. You may not like it, but the teams that get in did it according to the dictates of the system. What's the fuss about? So, they got in ... more then likely they will be put out in the first round. If not, the team they beat wasn't as good as people thought they were. I'd rather have 2-8 or 3-6 teams in the playoffs them having some committee somewhere cherry picking what team goes where according to wins/losses or whatever criteria that is to be used. BIAS will enter the picture in that scenario, whether it is premeditated or subliminal, there is NO way around it. I care more about unbias selection and placement then I do about 'perceived' worthiness.

Top four teams in the region go to the playoffs. No way for anybody to manipulate the system. It’s the only way to INSURE non bias selection and placement.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Knox Central, are you good enough to be talked about with Maryville, well, I do not know lthe answer to that, I have not ever seen you guys play and likely will not, because you can not beat Maryville. Not only that, I took a gander at your schedule to see if there is any merit in the two teams coliding so early and do oyou know what I found, I found a KNox central team that has played 3 teams with winning records and lost to two of them, have beaten 5 teams with a losing record, that does not put Knox central in a class of excellence to me, but for poll voters in the Knoxville area well lets pat the local boys on the back, try competeing with Maryville or even beating them and you might have some merit then, until then I would not classify myself with Maryville because I have beaten a 6-4 Farrguat, a 4-5 somebodlly, a 1-8 Lenoir city, a 3-6 S. Doyle, a 4-5 Powell and a2- 7 CLinton. again Ha ha Ha

A lot of good points out there, but another point that needs to be addressed: there are teams with 3-6 records going to the playoffs and at least one team at 7-3 (Independence) that will not, simply because of the strength of the region they are in. Does this or any replacement system address that scenario?

If you are not good enough to be in the top 4 in your region then why should you go to the play offs, example Independence, I understand how tough that region is but if 4 teams in that region are better than well odds are there is a lot more out there that are better.