Bearden 4 Greeneville 2

Ilovethisgame

Interesting soccer67 that even the opposing coach questioned the call. Also, interesting that the writer actually seemed to know something about soccer, that's very unusual, of course there was some bias.

Sounds like Greeneville was trying to play an offside trap, which is a very risky tactic at best, especially with most of the refs that I has seen calling TSSAA games.

That's the way it goes sometimes. There are a number of teams no longer playing that can look back at something to complain about during their elimination game that changed things, but the result remains. Congratulations to Greenville on an outstnding season to make it that far.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Knoxville version reads pretty much the same (see my earlier post).

It was a great game - great defense in the scoreless 1st half and LOTS of offense in the 2nd half. Props to Bearden. They played two exhaustive games prior to this one and still looked formitable.

Greeneville runs the trap alot and does it well but you put your faith in the refs getting it right. Unfortunately, they are usually over weight, out of shape middle aged guys who think they can keep up with these athletic girls and they can't.

Edited by soccer67

That's incorrect Mjuhb. The official clock is kept on the field by the center ref in Middle Tenn. The clock operator is supposed to stop the clock with 2 min. remaining so there won't be that discrepency between the center ref (for stoppage time) and the clock.

thats how they do it in the regular season but in the post season has soon has the clock hits double zero the game is over

there no stoppage time at all

Edited by mjuhb

This game was much closer than the score indicates.

Score was 0-0 at the half. Bearden went up 2-0 early in the 2nd. Greeneville tied it at 2-2. Bearden GIVEN 3 PK's - made good on 1. PK given immdiately after Greeneville tied the score giving momentum back to Bearden. Still not sure why the PK was assesed. Score was 3-2 late into the game. Greeneville forward hauled down in the box with 5 minutes left - no call. Bearden's last goal came with about 1 minute left in the game after Greenveille pulls everyone forward in an effort to equalize.

Greeneville was not called for one PK all season - but got 3 last night - interesting.

Two other interesting notes are that Amy Porter was clipped from behind and taken down in the Greenville box in the first half.....no call. And Mary Alex Rochester was hauled down in the Greenville box from behind in the second half....no call.

I agree that the "handball" was questionable at best, but the box takedowns by Greenville were cards with the Porter takedown a red card offense (she had an obvious goal scoring opportunity). So, I guess it all evens out in the long run.

I agree the reffing was poor, but I have come to expect it -- especially with TSSAA events. Competent officiating is occassional but rare. The ref called most of the game 20-30 yards from the play for the entire game.

Two other interesting notes are that Amy Porter was clipped from behind and taken down in the Greenville box in the first half.....no call. And Mary Alex Rochester was hauled down in the Greenville box from behind in the second half....no call.

I agree that the "handball" was questionable at best, but the box takedowns by Greenville were cards with the Porter takedown a red card offense (she had an obvious goal scoring opportunity). So, I guess it all evens out in the long run.

I agree the reffing was poor, but I have come to expect it -- especially with TSSAA events. Competent officiating is occassional but rare. The ref called most of the game 20-30 yards from the play for the entire game.

[/quo

Dont know much about Amy porter but there is no one better than MaryAlex to take a big flop in the box. I think all referees are on to MaryAlex and her ability to flop.

:thumb: Not to sure about Porter but MaryAlex is known for flopping down in the box for a foul. Most refs are aware of MaryAlexs flopping and she wont get the call anymore :thumb:

Hmmmmm.....

Let's see here...."SMACK" goes the cleat on the achilles tendon, then the knee to the back of the thigh......down goes the player. I was standing right there on the 6 when it happened. Not one but two contacts were made and dangerous ones at that. If the ref was keeping up with the game..... well we know about the bad officiating. It is a wonder she got up at all.

Now to the "taking the dive" comment. If any ref ignores serious and career ending fouls like that, they should be banned from officiating, period.

FYI - Haypaul is not a Greeneville supporter. If you look at his/her posts they are a Farragut fan trying to disparage Bearden.

As a Greeneville fan - congrats to Bearden. You ladies had the toughest schedule to play and got it done. Beating the #1,2,3 and at the time #9 team is quite an accomplishment and is deserving the title "State Champs".

I have no problems with Bearden at all. What I ment to say in the last comment is that alot of refs know that Mary Alex goes down in the box often. When refs know that , they are not sure if it is a foul or a flop. In my opinion Bearden hit their peak playing time during playoffs and state. For two week Bearden had tough long hard games to play, they lost a couple but won the four in the row that they needed and deserve the title State Champions, They went to state for the first time (this team) and played like they were old pros at it. Congratulations to them for a job well done.