Notre Dame vs. FRA

DonCChatt

Was the penalty in the box obvious? I hate to see a agame like this decided on a PK. But, if the foul was obvious it had to be called. I just hope it wasn`t a ticky-tack call.

As a ND fan, I felt the call was correct. The ND player had beaten the FRA defender, and was about to take a shot on goal.

I more neutral observer might have seen it otherwise, but I doubt it.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone checked out the BOX SCORE stats TSSAA has posted on their website with the brackets? I was at the game, didn't keep count of everything, but things don't seem accurate, I do know ND definitely had more than 2 corner kicks.

Congrats to both teams for all the skill, effort, and heart they showed in this match . . . you are all winners !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

State tournament official game stats leave a lot to be desired.

As a ND fan, I felt the call was correct. The ND player had beaten the FRA defender, and was about to take a shot on goal.

I more neutral observer might have seen it otherwise, but I doubt it.

I don't think any FRA fan could question the call. My daughter is a senior on the FRA team; in fact she scored their only goal. However, albeit heartbreaking, the call was justified. Good luck to Notre Dame. You are a great and classy team. To the FRA girls, hold your heads up high! You should be proud of what you accomplished. You had a great year. FRA and ND showed everyone at yesterday's games how a Championship Game should be played. It had to be one of the best A/AA games ever played at the State Tournament. The students, the parents, the fans, the players, the coaches, the officals and everyone else involved conducted themselves with extreme sportsmanship and class. All involved should be extremely proud!!

State tournament official game stats leave a lot to be desired.

You mean, for example, recording more saves than shots? According to the "official stats" FRA took 7 shots, yet ND had 8 saves. At least the shot count looked responsible and normal for a high quality match as has been reported.

I'd bet a modest amount that CAK didn't have 30 "shots" against Jackson Christian. With only 7 JC saves, my guess is that any kick toward goal was counted as a shot. Same was probably true for USJ and if Catholic and Sweetwater had 53 legitimate shots between them, as reported, the match must have been about 4 hours long and both teams played without defenders.

Edited by hoya75

Same was probably true for USJ and if Catholic and Sweetwater had 53 legitimate shots between them, as reported, the match must have been about 4 hours long and both teams played without defenders.

You mean a shot that goes out for a throw in isn't a shot?! Then I have to change my stats from the boy's season! <_<

I don't think any FRA fan could question the call. My daughter is a senior on the FRA team; in fact she scored their only goal. However, albeit heartbreaking, the call was justified. Good luck to Notre Dame. You are a great and classy team. To the FRA girls, hold your heads up high! You should be proud of what you accomplished. You had a great year. FRA and ND showed everyone at yesterday's games how a Championship Game should be played. It had to be one of the best A/AA games ever played at the State Tournament. The students, the parents, the fans, the players, the coaches, the officals and everyone else involved conducted themselves with extreme sportsmanship and class. All involved should be extremely proud!!

Lots of class shown by your post zzzzz, ditto on your remarks.

Some shots can be shot without being saved by the goalkeeper. Remember they can miss or be blocked.

Yeah, Coniglio, I know that one. But more saves than shots is a tough one to agree with.

The fact that refs are the stat folks almost explains the problem, mtnman! :ph34r: They need to concentrate on reffing. I bet though, all kidding aside, that the ND v. FRA game counts were pretty close. The save count could well be similar to the shot count in a high quality match between two teams as good as these and mistakes happen---at least I seem to make lots.

As for the other games, it seems that whoever kept those stats did not make judgments on kicks v. legitimate shots--a pretty common thing. Of course some shots never reach the level of a goal or a save, but I just do not believe Catholic and Sweetwater traded 54 "shots" last night no matter how back and forth that game went. That many shots haven't been seen since the St. Valentine's Day Massacre.

As for that mean old CAK boys coach, BigZ or whatever, well everyone in Knoxville knows how that character counts! :thumb:

Edited by hoya75

Wow. While I wasn't outside during the game I called someone to get updates throughout. All I gotta say is that you people are LOUD! :thumb:

I agree it was loud ,lots of spirit and what about that PEP band from Notre Dame , I think that was a first for me at a soccer match. Very festive atmosphere.

That was one awsome game ! The girls were so skilled. I hate to see either team lose a game like that. The foul in the box that led to the PK was indeed a good call by the Referee it was a hard foul. The bad thing about that play is FRA's keeper had the line on the ball and would have easily gotten to it in time , no need to foul in that situation. Tough

The first and last game of the day proved to be the most competitive games... Knox Cath vs Sweetwater was a great game. The win for Knox was hard fought and could have easily went to Sweetwater, I counted 6 shots that went off the crossbar for the latter, several that were perried over by knox's keeper. Sweetwaters speed was amazing. The golden goal won it on a break away for Knox. I am glad I stayed for the whole game, I am not glad I rode my motorcycle to Chatanooga, I hit that cold front head on en route back to White House. =))

zzzzz,

Nice post! Your daughter, who is great player by the way, and her fellow seniors certainly can be proud of this season and their careers at FRA.

I am not a statistician (not even sure I know how to spell it), but I would certainly think there is a difference between a shot and a shot on goal. A shot on goal would result in a save or a goal, where a shot may be off frame or blocked by a defender? Should the person keeping the stats make a determination if a "shot" was legitimate. Because I have seen some players that seem to get to a point with the ball and don't seem to know what to do with it anyumore and just bfire it in the general direction of the goal. Usually resulting in nothing more than change of possesion.