Cloudland's New Coach

krichunaka

The Highlanders set the high standard for East Tennessee Football, and while other teams are also rebuilding, this has been a very difficult season for Cloudland. Losing their best runningback,Jordan Hughes, was a big blow, and it went downhill from there.

A few have complained, some louder than others, about Coach Keith's performance, but he was facing a monumental task to keep the Highlanders in the upper-echelon of Single A football. Whether he should've stayed another season to get things in order, I don't know, but for whatever reason(s) he decided today was the time to go.

There are several coaches already at Cloudland, so the hiring will probably come from inside: I have no idea who the frontrunner is, or, for that matter, who really wants it. There's Turbeyfill, Julian, and of course, others; all of them, good candidates. Will be interesting. Good Luck to Coach Keith, and to the Highlanders.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Highlanders set the high standard for East Tennessee Football, and while other teams are also rebuilding, this has been a very difficult season for Cloudland. Losing their best runningback,Jordan Hughes, was a big blow, and it went downhill from there.

A few have complained, some louder than others, about Coach Keith's performance, but he was facing a monumental task to keep the Highlanders in the upper-echelon of Single A football. Whether he should've stayed another season to get things in order, I don't know, but for whatever reason(s) he decided today was the time to go.

There are several coaches already at Cloudland, so the hiring will probably come from inside: I have no idea who the frontrunner is, or, for that matter, who really wants it. There's Turbeyfill, Julian, and of course, others; all of them, good candidates. Will be interesting. Good Luck to Coach Keith, and to the Highlanders.

Never in a million years did I think I would say this, but... I wish Coach Keith the best of luck, and I hope to see the Landers get back to playing their type of football. I know you guys had a rough season, but hang in there, you'll be back.

word I here is Mike Lunsford could be returning. Also I here Star Reporter Tim Chambers will be intervied for the job, Chambers coached basketball in the mid 80's and early 90's and was very successful. He also led Hampton to the watauga Conference Championship in the late 70's either way Cloudland will be on the winning track with either

I dont think this was a real big surprise ive heard rumors that keith may be retiring next year anyways.As i said before I think coach keith is a good guy and other than him not having any experienced players I believe alot of his problems was that he is an old school coach and things have changed alot over the years.And when you dont live up to the previous standards you're gonna catch alot of heat regardless of the circumstances,I know i wouldnt want to be a coach.I wish coach keith the best in the future.From what ive seen cloudland football will be back on track soon if they have the right leadership,also i want to say congratulations to the jr. lander team and especially to my kinfolk number #18 and #25.regional small school champs 10-0 this season

Junior 'Landers take first Regional football title

By Tim Chambers

Star Staff

tchambers@starhq.com

Like sitting down to a T-bone steak and a buttered baked potato after an appetizer, Cloudland saved it's best for last which proved to be fatal for the Rogersville Warriors.

Behind a potent ground attack led by Matt Cole and Casey Pritchard the Highlanders won the TMSAA's East Tennessee Small School Championship 41-21 Monday night at John Orr Field.

Cloudland finished the season undefeated at 10-0.

Cole carried the ball nine times for 157 yards and three touchdowns while Pritchard rushed for 90 yards on 10 carries with one score. Cloudland gained 315 yards on the ground.

"Our kids came out focused and ready to play," stated Highlander coach Ford Baker. "Every player did their part because this was the best game we've played all season."

The Warriors (8-2) failed to move the football on it's opening possession then shanked an 18-yard punt that gave Cloudland great field position at the 45.

Behind the dynamic duo, the 'Landers marched 55-yards on five plays capped off by a five yard run from Cole who tacked on the two-point conversion for a 8-0 lead. Pritchard broke two tackles on a 24-yard jaunt that helped set up the score.

Cloudland hit paydirt again in the period after a 21-yard run by Cole help set up a seven yard touchdown run by Pritchard. Tyler Shell delivered a spectacular block that led to Cole's gain.

The Warriors answered on it's next possession when Zach Bray broke free for a 43-yard touchdown run that cut the lead at 14-6 with 7:51 remaining in the half.

After a sideline revival from coaches Ford Baker and Scott Potter, the "Roan Mountain Regime" made a statement on it's next drive.

"We preached in practice that it would take a team effort all week," added Coach Scott Potter. "The defensive guys played their positions and didn't allow them to get anything cheap. Our offense was definitely getting the job done on that end."

A 25-yard run from Pritchard setup Cole's second touchdown of the half from 28-yards out. Another bone crushing block from Shell allowed Cole to make his way to the end zone.

The Warrior ground game came to a halt after Lucas "Pork Chop" McKinney disrupted their offense with two tackles in the backfield. Cloudland extended it's advantage behind a 58-yard run from Cole with 3:21 remaining in the half. Anthony Chambers found Josh Cordell on the two point conversion for a 28-6 lead.

The party continued with .11 seconds remaining in the half when Tyler Shell bulled his way over from the one. Kevin Stevens split he uprights for a 35-6 halftime advantage.

The Highlanders delivered the knockout punch at the 6:16 mark in the third after a 30-yard run by Potter led to a nine yard touchdown by Cody Clark that increased the lead at 41-6.

From that point the Highlanders emptied the bench with reserves playing the remainder of the contest.

Rogersville added two touchdown runs by Bray and a couple of two-point conversion that accounted for the final margin. Bray had a good outing rushing for 100 yards on 15 carries. Cambren Gibson added 70 yards on the ground from his quarterback position.

The Highlander line consisting of Cody Presnell, Tyler Dyer, James Ollis, Stevens, McKinney, Cody Bullwinkle, Elijah Buchanan and Cordell was a key reason that the team rushed for a game high 305 yards. Chambers ran the offense to perfection.

Another player that stood tall was cornerback Ronald Banner who accounted for 10 tackles. McKinney was credited with 14 stops.

Danny Arnett, Colby Gwyn, Jonathan Hill, Dacota Maney, Richie Winters, Dylan Hayward and Jordan Cazzonay all gave good efforts the entire way.

The win was sweet for team manager Eugene Johnson, who happens to also be the 'Landers biggest fan. "I love it, we're number one, the best," stated Johnson with a huge smile on his face. "I'm proud to be a Highlander."

Baker and Potter was quick to extend their thanks to the high school coaching staff for helping them with their efforts. They also praised the student body, faculty and fans for all their support.

"Everyone has backed us including parents, cheerleaders, coaches and others and this has really meant a lot the this group of kids," stated Baker.

"It doesn't get any better than this," added Potter. "We'll encourage all of them to go on and play for the high school next season. They will be a great group to watch in the near future."

------

Cloudland, 41-21

Rogersville 0 6 8 8 -- 21

Cloudland 12 23 6 0 -- 41

Edited by cuda44069

KRICH, The resignation is NOT official. I know that from a very good source.

ACDC,

Well, you're the Roan Mountain native, and I'm sure you have good souces, and plenty of em. But I'll let this one stand, because I'm also pretty confident in my sources.

If you're right, and something changes, then I'll publicly apologize here on this awesome website.

We went through this when I wrote that Coach Pitts was going to King College. Certain reporters were a little miffed, and discredited what I wrote, while indicating that it - Coach Pitts' resignation - hadn't happened. It went on for a couple weeks . . . .while Coach Pitts was packing his bags for Bristol. We'll see.

When I say NOT official, I don't mean that it's not going to happen in the next day or so. I'm just saying that his resignation hasn't officially went through the school and he hasn't officially said anything yet.

In the next day or so, however, you are correct --- something is more than likely to happen.

Well if this is true, I hope whoever takes over will have passion, disapline and expect our kids to give what it takes year around to be the best we can be. Talent is coming with abundance. They will need a strong leader. Need rules and they need to apply to every kid on the team. If you bend rules, they get broke. If my kid misses practice or don't have the disapline to work in the off season, let him stand on the sidelines.I don't care if we don't have but 20 kids, I want the 20 who will go the extra mile. The way I look at it, if you are going to be a bear,be a grizzly. Roan Mt has a passion for football , the kids want to play, Make them earn the right to put on a HIGHLANDER uniform.

word I here is Mike Lunsford could be returning. Also I here Star Reporter Tim Chambers will be intervied for the job, Chambers coached basketball in the mid 80's and early 90's and was very successful. He also led Hampton to the watauga Conference Championship in the late 70's either way Cloudland will be on the winning track with either

i bet chambers would be a good coach. who watches more ball games than anyone else. he waas a good player and knows baseball very well. send hom on up

There were a few of the big money backers up in Roan Mountain down here at the STAR office a little earlier asking me for a reference on Tim. He's a good coach. I played tee-ball for him 19 years ago. He would be great for the baseball job as well. Maybe he can get some of the old timers like Jo Jo to help him on the sidelines.

Edited by acdcfan