ALL TIME GREATEST PLAYER IN TN

CHS 2007

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of these posts include accomplishments after high school, on just high school accomplishments, here are my top 5's

High School only:

Leroy Thompson - Austin-East

Troy Fleming - Battleground Academy

Bobby Cifers - Dobyns-Bennett

Reggie White - Chattanooga Howard

Xavier Crawford - Memphis Tresevant

Top 5 Based on high school and college:

Steve Spurrier - Science Hill/Florida

Joe Steffy - Baylor/Tennessee & Army

John Henderson - Pearl-Cohn/Tennessee

Bobby Dodd - Dobyns-Bennett/Tennessee

Johnny Majors - Huntland/Tennessee

Top 5 Based on high school/college/pro careers

Doug Atkins - Humboldt/Tennessee/19 years NFL, both college and pro HOF

Reggie White - Howard/Tennessee/member both college and pro HOF

John Hannah - Baylor School/Alabama/member both college and pro HOF

Bill Wade - MBA/Vanderbilt/13 years NFL,First pick of 1954 NFL Draft

Bob Johnson - Bradley County/Tennessee/12 NFL Seasons,#1 draft pick

Edited by biglon68

Brent Collins not too bad either. How about Reggie White?

When Todd was a senior - I had heard of his abilities, and I believe it was a state playoff game or maybe the state championship game - - I decided I would focus on him for a play or two and only watch him and his reactions.

His team was playing against a wishbone triple option team. His first play, he stuffs the fullback at the line (with the fake of the dive), slides to the outside where the QB reads Todd and pitches off his force of the play, and then Todd sprints to the pitch man and makes the tackle for a one yard gain. It was unbelieveable to watch him play his linebacker position as a high school player.

I know there are other great Tennessee high school players - - but, he was THE best that I ever witnessed (and I'm not from his area of the state).

Gerald Riggs at Red Bank (DB ran into him in the slop in the 2000 semis)

James "Little Man" Stewart at Morristown West (DB ran into him in the the 1990 playoffs).

Jason Whitten from Elizabethton

all these had great high school and college careers. Stewart was a top 50 national prep and Riggs was something like the #1 or #2 rb prospect coming out.

Having cruised through the trophy room at Science Hill's gym, I have a greater appreciation for all the accomplishments of Spurrier. He would probably have to be all time if not close. I will add that Bobby Dodd from DB played before the Heisman so you can't hold that against players of past, not that he would have won it. Dodd accomplished alot in his high school, college, and coaching career. I think he won a state title, a college title at UT, and a coaching title at GaTech.

This is just a few...there are many that could be named. I'm sure there are many great players that could be deserving.

Edited by maroonandgrey

It is hard to stack any up against the Reggie Whites' & Steve Spurriers' but Jason Witten of Elizabethton led some great high school teams and did his thing at UT and now displaying his stuff for the Dallas Cowboys. 2 time Pro Bowler at 24 or 25 years old. He is right on the tail of the very best.

And from what I understand, is a really good guy as well. He does a great deal for the youth in dallas as well as back home.

All are wonderful players but when looking at all-time greats none are even in the Top 200. Tennessee has produced roughly 325 NFL players and several others who were college football hall of famers.

Tate and Jennings are the greatest from Pope John Paul II HS and Ravenwood HS in the short period they have been in existence.

Gulmire was good but Stan Fritts, Shaun Bohannon, Dave Griffith, Shaun Summers, Bobby Richards and Mike Caldwell are just a few Oak Ridge alums who went on to successful D-1 and /or NFL careers.

Maples may be the best receiver Maryville has produced but I'm aware of at least four Maryville Rebels who ended up in the NFL and numerous other D-1 prospects over the years but he has potential to be a great player in college.

Coker has the Talent to be someone special if he stays healthy and may be the best player produced by Antioch. Anyone know someone else to add to the Antioch list?

I'm not familiar with Adam Becker. Who is he? Where's he from? Position?, etc?

Because there are a lot of old school fans on this board, I’ll just ask you where some of these modern players rank.

Golden Tate

TC Jennings

Adam Becker

Spencer Gullmire

Tyler Maples

Lamarcus Coker