Henry County vs Melrose

Very good analysis prophet...I have a question, though...how many teams has HC played with the type of defense Melrose plays (i.e., big up front fast everywhere)besides Ridgeway? I think it will be an interesting matchup to see their speedy defense take on 34 and McNairl (who oddly enough is not being talked baout much relating to this thread).

I wish I knew the answer, I would say that Ridgeway was the only defense that we have face that could match up with the one for Melrose and we did not fair so well against you guys. I do not believe that their DTs' are as good as yours, and that was a huge problem for us in week 0. Good luck to you guys this week and maybe I will be on here next week talking about us and round 3.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I knew the answer, I would say that Ridgeway was the only defense that we have face that could match up with the one for Melrose and we did not fair so well against you guys. I do not believe that their DTs' are as good as yours, and that was a huge problem for us in week 0. Good luck to you guys this week and maybe I will be on here next week talking about us and round 3.

Hopefully we will both be able to keep going on into the quarters...best of luck friday!

Interesting points...I do know the Sheffield game was played on a Thur. night in absolutely HORRIBLE conditions - rain, cold, terrible field b/c it rained all week. Ridgeway played that same night and only beat Cordova 14-6. I think Henry County can pull off what many would consider to be an upset but they are going to have to play a disciplined game. I remember #34 and he was very hard to bring down. Melrose does have speed and athleticism but is often haunted by penalties.

I liked the propeht's analysis as well. When did you see #34 play crc? He is tough to bring down even by big physical guys. I remember him dragging a couple of tough (DI prospect) LB's for 5 extra yards! I was already impressed, but that really impressed me! This kid is just a sophomore!

Very good analysis prophet...I have a question, though...how many teams has HC played with the type of defense Melrose plays (i.e., big up front fast everywhere)besides Ridgeway? I think it will be an interesting matchup to see their speedy defense take on 34 and McNairl (who oddly enough is not being talked baout much relating to this thread).

rhsplaya55 - besides Ridgeway, the only other quick and physical defense that I felt like compared was an undefeated Jackson Southside team. Even though they are a 3A school, they had a very hard hitting quick defense. McNairl got hurt in the 4th and they came back to beat us in OT 30-33. If our offense can be multi-dimensional, we will put points on the board.

I liked the propeht's analysis as well. When did you see #34 play crc? He is tough to bring down even by big physical guys. I remember him dragging a couple of tough (DI prospect) LB's for 5 extra yards! I was already impressed, but that really impressed me! This kid is just a sophomore!

rhsplaya55 - besides Ridgeway, the only other quick and physical defense that I felt like compared was an undefeated Jackson Southside team. Even though they are a 3A school, they had a very hard hitting quick defense. McNairl got hurt in the 4th and they came back to beat us in OT 30-33. If our offense can be multi-dimensional, we will put points on the board.

I saw him play against Ridgeway in week zero. I am sure he got more carries per game as the year went on but he was not easy to tackle then! I think you hit the nail on the head - your offense needs to be able to run and pass to keep Melrose honest.

I saw him play against Ridgeway in week zero. I am sure he got more carries per game as the year went on but he was not easy to tackle then! I think you hit the nail on the head - your offense needs to be able to run and pass to keep Melrose honest.

Yeah, he's alot different now. He only played at tailback minimally against Ridgeway. He did start however on the D-line. Since that time he has had several 150+ yard games, one of which was Munford. I remember one game, don't remember against who, he broke loose in the defensive backfield and a DB came up to make the tackle, he promptly stiff armed the kid straight to the ground and went in for a score.

McNairl is still having a great year, but more so in passing than rushing. I think he was just shy of 900yds in the regular season. But of course #34 is picking up the slack in a big way! I am pumped about this game!!!

Weather report that I use off the net calls for 70 at 7, 64 at 10. Wind 9-13 and rain likely.

#55 told you what the field will be like if it rains, sorry about that but we will be playing in the same thing. These fields take a beating here in Memphis, of course now they are only used on Friday but alot of damage has been done.

Good luck and drive safe............

Weather report that I use off the net calls for 70 at 7, 64 at 10. Wind 9-13 and rain likely.

#55 told you what the field will be like if it rains, sorry about that but we will be playing in the same thing. These fields take a beating here in Memphis, of course now they are only used on Friday but alot of damage has been done.

Good luck and drive safe............

Well if it is going to rain then look for a Big Red Mud machine to drive straight up your guys ****!! The Big Red is on the way and Melrose better look out!!

I change if it is raining the score will be HC 22 Melrose 6

This could get ugly in favor of the Patriots.

I'm sorry that I am so excited, but I've been waiting for this one since last season. I still remember those seniors going to Memphis when they were in the 8th grade. They won then and they WILL WIN NOW!!!

There has beeen some talk of Melrose's offense being wide open of late, well 3 weeks ago after regulation, they were tied with Sheffield 0-0. then they scored 45 on an 0-9 Northside, and scored 34 on a Hardin county team that Henryconty scored 45 on. Now before Sheffield, they did score 39 on a 2-8 Raleigh Egypt. In the 5 games in which Melrose scored more than 17 points in the last 8 games their opponents that they scored more than 17 points against are a combined 11-39. Dont be so sure about that offense.

5-6 MUS 14-7

6-4 Whitehaven 10-7

6-5 East 58-6

7-4 Christian Brothers 6-0

1-9 Kingsbury 27-7

2-8 Hamilton 16-8

9-2 Fariley 12-6

2-8 Raleigh Egypt 39-6

10-1 Sheffield 13-12

0-9 Norhtside 45-0

6-5 Hardin county 34-22

Melrose may be 10-1, against a combined record of 54-61

Henry conty is just 7-4 but have played opponents with a combined record of

70-47

Roll Patriots Roll

These are very good points Prophet. BUT, I remember looking last year around this time and Melrose had only played 1 or 2 teams with a winning record and they lost a game to that 1-2 teams. They haven't played the stiffest competition but the truth is that Melrose AT the Mound is a different breed of animal. The numbers are in our favor but the odds are not. I think are guys can beat the odds. HC-27 Melrose-22

There has beeen some talk of Melrose's offense being wide open of late, well 3 weeks ago after regulation, they were tied with Sheffield 0-0. then they scored 45 on an 0-9 Northside, and scored 34 on a Hardin county team that Henryconty scored 45 on. Now before Sheffield, they did score 39 on a 2-8 Raleigh Egypt. In the 5 games in which Melrose scored more than 17 points in the last 8 games their opponents that they scored more than 17 points against are a combined 11-39. Dont be so sure about that offense.

5-6 MUS 14-7

6-4 Whitehaven 10-7

6-5 East 58-6

7-4 Christian Brothers 6-0

1-9 Kingsbury 27-7

2-8 Hamilton 16-8

9-2 Fariley 12-6

2-8 Raleigh Egypt 39-6

10-1 Sheffield 13-12

0-9 Norhtside 45-0

6-5 Hardin county 34-22

Melrose may be 10-1, against a combined record of 54-61

Henry conty is just 7-4 but have played opponents with a combined record of

70-47

Roll Patriots Roll

Prophet,

That was an excellent analysis. You made some great points... There's just one huge, fatal flaw with your entire thesis: Melrose's offense did not open up "as of late." It just opened up LAST WEEK, vs Hardin County!

I've seen Melrose play a number of times this year. Make no mistake about it, their offense was clearly a run-first pass-2nd offense. I know. I saw it with my own 2 eyes. It was only last week that there was a NOTICEABLE (and later publicized, though Melrose never did say exactly what that change was...) change in Melrose's offensive philosophy: Melrose employed a definite pass-first, run-2nd strategy!

The result: an offensive explosion!

Prophet, I'm gonna stop short of saying that Melrose will "explode" vs Henry County. I have no idea. I will tell you this though: Expect to see Melrose pass the ball practically 70% of the time!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Henry County fans...ya'll drive safely, tomorrow. Have fun @ the game. I suspect it's gonna' be one heckuva' football game!