You've got to be Kidding?

splainshornets

You can't judge the coach by the win/loss record any more than you can by any one player's performance.

Then how do you judge a coach??? And if you say by their influence on young men and women, I say go into counseling and not coaching. I'm not saying they have to win every game, but they need to be competetive to stay in the profession and competetiveness will translate into some wins.

Athletics involve competition resulting in wins and losses. This "orange slice and tunnel of love" mentality needs to stay in the AYSO and out of real athletic competition. Coaches have to be judged ultimately on competetiveness and that is only reflected in the win/loss record. And I didn't say win at all costs, I said judge people who enter into a career based on competition on their competetiveness.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe this coach should be let go as a coach. I have not heard anyone say fire him as a teacher. I have been going to Wartburg games for years and this coach for the last 3 or 4 years have not taught these kids any thing about football. It is all about teaching these kids the game of football and trying to restore some respect for these kids and the school. He shows no emotion on the side lines just stands there with his hands in his pockets all these kids needs his a coach with some fire in him wanting to win and get back to the basics of the game.

Football is a big money for these schools and for the last few years Wartburg is not making much money for this school because kids dont want to play for this coach and students do not want to support the football team because they do not win. I hate to say it but that is the bottom line not to many teams get supported it they do not win. B)

His first JOB is to TEACH these students, second is Coach Football. None of the partisans are complaining about his classroom abilities.

Have to disagree with you there. He was hired as a COACH. True, to coach, you must also be a teacher, but he was hired as a COACH. If he isn't doing his job as a COACH, release him from his COACHING job.

Edited by Rangerbook06

His first JOB is to TEACH these students, second is Coach Football. None of the partisans are complaining about his classroom abilities.

well here is my two cents and thats is about all my opinion is worth....I am not a fan of Wartburg ( nothing against them , I just do not support that team) . I do not have any ties to Wartburge in any form. I did attend a game there this year and I sorta felt sorry for the team. the team looked pretty under tallented but with room and ability to grow. we went thru the same thing here a couple of years ago but the fans and players stuck it out and now we are in our second straight playoff season.....things will get better and from what I hear Coach Davis is a fine coach. It is just plain ole part of the game to have down season with some schools having more than others. football is just a stepping stone for a majority of these kids and I feel a coach should see to it that they have the best time possible while achieving the best performance they can. the rewards will come. As many of you all know filling a coaches position in most Tennessee schools is hard. I am sure your coaches salary is not much better than ours and ours stinks....and then when you change coaches he can not always bring his assistance because there has to be an opening in the school system for that coach to fill....please be patient....good things will come to WCHS...

I believe this coach should be let go as a coach. I have not heard anyone say fire him as a teacher. I have been going to Wartburg games for years and this coach for the last 3 or 4 years have not taught these kids any thing about football. It is all about teaching these kids the game of football and trying to restore some respect for these kids and the school. He shows no emotion on the side lines just stands there with his hands in his pockets all these kids needs his a coach with some fire in him wanting to win and get back to the basics of the game.

Football is a big money for these schools and for the last few years Wartburg is not making much money for this school because kids dont want to play for this coach and students do not want to support the football team because they do not win. I hate to say it but that is the bottom line not to many teams get supported it they do not win. :thumb:

unfortunately, it is not as easy as that, in most cases to hire a new coach you must have a job for him first and that job usually is the one held by the coach being terminated. if they have extra positions available then it might work out.

Larry Davis is vice principal at Central Middle School, and I'm almost positive he sits in his room, maybe hands out a few detentions and does nothing all day, and I'm sure he got that job because of "connections", he really shouldn't be an administrator at all. But anyway, Wartburg has been suffering with this coach for long enough and I think it is definitely time for a change. You can see it in the players, they don't want to play for him. Especially with no support from the other kids at school and Ol Larry doesn't give much support either. I'm suprised there are still boys playing. I really hope something is done about this!

Guest Shocker0

Some memoriable quotes by Larry Davis in the Morgan County news this season:

"The game was in doubt for a long time"

"Our effort was great and I want to say I'm proud of our players"

"The [players] that are still with us are the ones I care about."

"I think we gave them fits"

"I thought we tried, they were just superior to us at this point in time"

"They have weapons galore and we were just overmatched this past week."

"when your down in talent, you have to be patient"

"If we win these last three games, we're probably in the playoffs." (didn't happen)

"not coming out to play was a big disappointment to me, because I thought we had gotten over that"

"It is the same old thing, until we get our up front situation settled, we're going to struggle"

"The offense didn't have much fight about us"

"We played decent defensively"

Feel free to add to this, I could only find 3 newspapers