Collierville vs. Bearden

siegelplayer

Congratulations to Coach Eric "PacMan" Turner! Your strategy of packing the box, kicking the long ball, most ofter out of bounds, and plowing through your opponents, worked! A little help from the refs didn't hurt you either. To bad your opponents stuck to playing soccer instead of playing your game. Hey, I'm not blaiming you! At least you had a strategy! Congratulations, once again! We'll see you next year!

Before you chastise me again, I want you to know that I sat back, took a deep breath, and collected my thoughts prior to this reply. I am a long-time reader of this messege board. and until your comment , I have hardly ever felt the need to comment, but just to read, get info, and enjoy. But your obvious slam of Eric Turner was totally unnessessary. Whether you agree with his style of play or not, the man has two state champ teams right now. Give him and his girls team a little bit of credit for beating the number 1,2, and 3 teams in the state. I assumed your comment about the refs had to do with the championship game since this particular thread is about that topic. I just don't see the point in name calling, thus my prior "sore loser" comment.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These boards are totally amazing! I never, even in my wildest dreams, thought I'd ever defend or even speak highly of Eric Turner in a public forum. Not that I don't like him, consider him a friend and a rock solid coach, because all of that is true. There's just something fundamentally wrong with taking up for anyone associated with the Evil Empire at Bearden. Amazing! :)

Seriously, BigG, you've got to know that feeling. :)

so once the whistle blew bearden had over half their team in the box? gosh, its amazing that with that many people back there that they still manage to score a goal. coach turner is a great coach who obviously knows what he is doing with back to back state champs boys and girls! there is no need to bash a coach or school. sore loser.. yes. bad officiating goes both ways. you got beat.. end of story.

These boards are totally amazing! I never, even in my wildest dreams, thought I'd ever defend or even speak highly of Eric Turner in a public forum. Not that I don't like him, consider him a friend and a rock solid coach, because all of that is true. There's just something fundamentally wrong with taking up for anyone associated with the Evil Empire at Bearden. Amazing! ;)

Seriously, BigG, you've got to know that feeling. :thumb:

Ha! Yeah, I know exactly what you are saying! :D

There's something I've just got to say. I find it so interesting that no one, not once has acknowledged the amazing accomplishment of Bearden's championship run. You've bashed the coach, style of play, bad refs, etc. But the bottom line is Bearden's win totally caught the pundits on this board off guard. Oh, there was talk of Siegel, Hendersonville, or Collierville coming away with the crown. But never was Bearden considered a real contender. But through alot of talent, alot of heart, and yes, a little luck, they came to Chattanooga as a 7th ranked team and systematically defeated the top 3 teams in the state. In my somewhat biased opinion, that is what we should be discussing here. Give this team the credit they deserve for a hardfought win.

I dont think there is anyone who reads this board has had bad calls as much as everyone has gotten no calls when there should have been. I am a parent of a Farragut player. When we went to state our first game was against collierville. We scored first. 15 min in the second half the ref called a phantom foul on us. They got a direct kick, it went in.

They did score another goal after that but we lost on our own. The girls didnt come out real strong and when they got the goal on the direct kick for some reason the girls just couldnt hold it together. We do not talk about loosing the game by the ref. The girls know they could have done better.

Another example of a bad ref. State tournament 2004. Farragut vs Germantown/Houston--Championship game. 10 min. into the game we score.

Well nevermind we didnt score. The lineman was to far upfield to see the ball go across the line. We show him on video but he wasnt interested. The score is 0-0 and with about 10 mins left Germantown scored on a corner kick. After that the game was pretty much over. Germantown played all their players back and always kicked the ball out of bounds. Every time the ball went out of bounds he would put in a sub. The burned around 5 min by putting subs in all the time. We told the ref thats they cant stop the game to put subs in every 10 sec. No comment from the ref. We lost. We were most upset about our goalnot being called and nothing could be done about it even though we had it on film.

It was a hard loss but we just let it go. At our soccer banguet we watched videos of the games through the year,,,the one we did not show on the video was the goal that never counted. We were past that now. We knew we played a great gamebut we did not let the "no goal" ruin the awsome game we played. We just look at it as a bit of bad luck.

We all know there are going to be good or bad calls in all games, I guess if you dont like it soccer may not be your sport. Bearden won all their games at state fairly. As a coach your job is the help the girls win and thats exactly what Beardens did. Bearden did what it needed to and the won CONGRATS :lol:

examples of aggressive vs conservative sytems

the bearden vs brentwood boys state quarter

its a classic examples of a team having patience conservative teams have it aggressive teams don't

in soccer if know a team is better than you are staight up attacking vs attacking soccer is out of the question your only option is to defend and use counter-attacking set plays that a coach has drawn up

in but the brentwood/bearden game brentwood would attack in numbers than bearden would get the ball to their striker and rico would start play and brentwood never got back into their defensive 3rd which made brentwood get greedy than the other 2 goals came

i see it all the time in high school soccer aggressive teams have ZERO PATIENCE its almost like they think the game is 20 minutes and they have to score 10 in that period of time

the only 2 ways i know to beat a bunker defense is 1 teach the to head the ball and 2 slow play it use that possession to back into the midfield or use the goalie to reset the attack and make them chase you spread them out than attack

coaching 101 spreading the defense makes for a easier attack

PATIENCE it actually works you should try it

Edited by mjuhb

regarding the ref's this season

now some people may not like this statement but it is 100% true

all the games i have been to this year the only time people complain about calls is when their kid has a call go against them

if its the other team on the bad end of a call its oh well they deserved it

i have learned one thing this season some parents think their kids can do no wrong

i havn't had any problems with officiating it has been i think about 80% good thier are some

* For all the complainers about officiating. If it's so easy, take some courses and buy a whistle. Much easier to complain from outside the arena than within. Think back to this summer and the World Cup--those were the best officials in the world and they still made mistakes.

* As someone above said, most of the whining about Bearden winning and blaming officials and "packing the box" is sour grapes from the supporters of teams who had a great season but came up short or board gurus who are swayed in their beliefs that east TN soccer is inferior to middle/west TN soccer.

* CONGRATS to Bearden on a great season...and they will be as good or better next year.

* And this is probably not the right thread but also CONGRATS to CAK. I was a doubter re their chances against Notre Dame but the Warriors got it done.

* For all the complainers about officiating. If it's so easy, take some courses and buy a whistle. Much easier to complain from outside the arena than within.

Yikes! I understand the sentiment, but I honestly think this approach is precisely why our referee pool is sub-par. Too many people with poor to no soccer background or playing experience have purchased a uniform kit and rule book, taken a ridiculously easy test and started blowing their whistles in high school competition. Refereeing in Tennessee needs TSSAA to tighten its eligibility standards and former players need to "graduate" to officiating. The last thing high school soccer needs is a bunch more unfit former parent/fan officials who are starting at the high school level because it is so easy to get certified.