Catholic VS Austin East

Digger20

I have no horse in this race. Just an old Ohio guy that closely follows high school football. Thanks to tivo, 99.1, and good enough health to attend live games, I have seen and heard AE, Fulton, and Catholic play plenty of their games this year. With 2-5A and 2-4A being a bit down this year, they have played the best ball IMHO, and have been the most fun to follow. All 3 of these teams could compete with any school in Ohio of simmilar enrollment. They all have fine talent.

Regarding AE vs Catholic. I have read where AE has improved a lot. Maybe, but they were pretty darn good to begin with. They lost early 14-13 to an outstanding Red Bank team that I believe will give Maryville all they want. They lost to Fulton by less than the score indicated (2 dropped td passes I think). Then lost to a Webb team by one point that could very well win state in their division/classification. Also AE beat a Brainard team that probably has more athletes than does AE.

Coach Graham is a little inexperienced, but smart, tough, passionate, and a strong leader. AE failed to make some defensive adjustments in the 1st Catholic game, and they won't make that mistake again. I really like the Troutman kid. Throws the best ball in the KIL after the Ryan boy at West. Most impressive thing about Troutman (other than his running ability) is his improved game management. He certainly deserves credit for that, but so does his coach.

People talk about Anderson at WR, and rightly so, but the reciever that can cause damage is Hinch. Anderson scores TDs, Hinch eats up some yards. The RB Johnson is patient and tough, and he uses his FB Jones well. The Jones kid can block, and he might just be one of the better "wrap-up" LBs in the region. AE has a bunch of defensive talent. I like the McCaleb kid up front, and Kimbrough at the DE/OLB. In addition to Anderson at DB, they have Thompson, and Smith who are quick and aggressive. I also like Price and Linclon Anderson at LB.

On the Catholic side everyone talks about Smith. Again, he desrevs it. However, I think it all starts with their coach. I too wish they were not on the radio every single week, but I tell you what. That guy is not just building players or a team. He is building a program to be dealt with for some time. Pemberton must have a heck of a staff, and obiously the $s if he can do all the other stuff.

Even with Smith, I give the overall skill position edge to AE. I think Catholic has good WR/DB types, but at this stage in the year the timing between Troutman and his guys will be better than it was when these two teams first met. I think the AE FB is a better blocker than the Hartman kid, but the Hartman kid might be a better runner. That spot is a wash. I think Catholic's LB are very good against the run, but could get tested by Troutman in coverage. I think that AE's LBs are better against the pass than the run, so the LBs could be a wash also.

Up front, I read where Catholic lost their Center to injury, and so I am sure that is a loss. It also seems like they dress half the school so I am sure they have another Center. I like the OT/DE Franklin. He has a D1 frame and ability. I think when Franklin and Kimbrough hook up it will be a battle. The other OL/DT I like is Tait. Only a Soph. I watched him against Fulton and he had 6-7 solos. No doubt Hammilton is the best DL in the region, but this kid might be the best OL. Great drive blocker. I look forward to seeing him and McCaleb battle. Just like Troutman, the Catholic QB Lindsey has improved also. I just think Troutman is a little more battle tested and so I give the edge to him.

Bottom line is if AE can stop Catholic from running the ball and the clock, they win. Catholic has to run the ball, and the clock...and stop AE's big plays to win. Edge AE. Good luck to both teams. Stay healthy because whoever wins will have to deal with Rogan, Freeney, Hammilton, etc next Friday, but whos looking ahead?

WOW!!!

What a great post!

Doesn't look like you know too much about the deep snapper, waterboy or QB's girl friend though. Thought about calling Hartmann's dad at the News-Sentinel for a sports writing job or do you just scout? Catholic's discipline will pull this one out.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!!!

What a great post!

Doesn't look like you know too much about the deep snapper, waterboy or QB's girl friend though. Thought about calling Hartmann's dad at the News-Sentinel for a sports writing job or do you just scout? Catholic's discipline will pull this one out.

My thoughts exactly :thumb: Sounds like he follows the game rather well. I have seen both teams and watched them on film several times. I know AE has a team full of athlete's but Catholic is more disciplined and more physical and will IMO win.

WOW!!!

What a great post!

Thanks IrishBBall. Don't know anything about the girlfriends, but I do know that Waterboy is a great flick, and Snapper is a good eating fish:). Not a scout or sports writer wannabee. Just a non NFL/D1 fan who is old school.....and

1. Enjoys watching coaches lead to help set a moral compass, not get a fat check.

2. Players who play for their friends, parents, pride and, not an endorsment.

3. Parents/communities who take pride in raising their next generation.

On the discipline issue, who knows with 15-18 yr. olds, or sometimes what a zebra sees or does not see. From what I recall AE has played disciplined ball with the possible exception of last week @ Seymour where the box score seemed to indicate that they had a number of penalties. I think Catholic plays with discipline on Offense. Very efficient, don't waste time, etc. On Defense, and Special Teams, I have seen them lose gap responsibility, and not stay in their lanes. All in all I think this will be a very well played game, and that AE because of their advantage at some of the skill positions will be able to overcome mistakes more easily.

I think that this game will be MUCH better then AE v. Catholic round 1!! Jaren seems to be right on the money with his passing game and that is a huge threat considering all the skill AE has!!! Natur is out for Catholic and that boy was huge which will put them down some. But you definatly cannot count out Smith and the rest of them, they will put up a fight, maybe more then AE can handle. I think AE has a bit of an advantage because like Ruse said, they have more skill in many positions plus Anderson can cover Smith well *unlike Fulton who has trouble in that department.* Game time is looming overhead and I can't wait to see what happens

I think that this game will be MUCH better then AE v. Catholic round 1!! Jaren seems to be right on the money with his passing game and that is a huge threat considering all the skill AE has!!! Natur is out for Catholic and that boy was huge which will put them down some. But you definatly cannot count out Smith and the rest of them, they will put up a fight, maybe more then AE can handle. I think AE has a bit of an advantage because like Ruse said, they have more skill in many positions plus Anderson can cover Smith well *unlike Fulton who has trouble in that department.* Game time is looming overhead and I can't wait to see what happens

Snap.

I am sure having Natour out does hurt Catholic. However, I heard their game on the radio against Kingston when he got hurt (I think). The guys announcing went on about how good he was, but also said that the major difference between Catholic this year and last was that they were rotating in many more palyers, especially on the DL. So I think they might have some depth. He is listed at 6-0, 210 which is pretty small @ DL, but probably perfect for Center in that Offense that they run. Most teams that run that have smaller/quicker OL. I have not seen them since he went out so I have no idea about the replacement. On the other hand both their Guards are very big (6-3 285 & 6-3 260) and awfully quick or they would not be able to run the stuff (pulling & trapping) they do. Their LT (Franklin) was just named a Mr. Football Fianalist, so while I am sure they will miss Natour, they do seem to have some other really good Big Uglies. Yeah, that Anderson/Smith match up will be good if they get to go at it one on one. If it stays warm, I might have to get my old bones over to West Knoxville.