Dobyns Bennett & the Playoffs

WaCoJaCo

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You people do me a favor tonight. Watch the Graham Clark show on Charter chanel 750 at 8pm. They will be showing the highlights and talking about the game. It will be interesting to see if Clark admits to mistakes with his play calling.

So can someone who watched this summarize the show? I don't subscribe.

You people do me a favor tonight. Watch the Graham Clark show on Charter chanel 750 at 8pm. They will be showing the highlights and talking about the game. It will be interesting to see if Clark admits to mistakes with his play calling.

No broadcast. So, no, Clark will not admit his mistakes.

No broadcast. So, no, Clark will not admit his mistakes.

It came on about 20 minutes late here in Bristol. They discussed the touchdown pass that was called back and the pass that was ruled out of bounds. Clark said the loss came due to a lack of execution. They hinted a lack of play calling as well.

Then they acknowledged the seniors and congratulated the team.

After watching this I was left with the impression that DB had opportunities to put the game away, but just failed to execute when they needed to.

Sorry to hear that about Coty, good ball player, played with real heart. Just wanted to know if anyone else had heard this, heard from a friend today that Dobyns Bennett and Sullivan South agreed to play next year, maybe as the last time. I would enjoy that, a non conference schedule of William Blount, Oak Ridge, Tennessee High, and Sullivan South (instead of Elizabethton) seems more exciting and beneficial. Anyone heard the rumor of DB v. South for one more year?

I really thought this might be the year that DB would make a good run. They had a strong defense, but kind of a bland offense. Clues to problems could be the struggles they had late with Sevier County. Also, friends in Kingsport tell me the biggest problems for the Indians is a weak late season schedule. Also, Region 1 5A is typically weak, as evidenced this year with Region 2 5A winning three of four in the first round. William Blount had a good physical line and Walker was a hard runner, so I knew they would give DB a good game, and they were used to dog fights such as they faced in this Region. I had hoped the Indians would make it to Round 2 as I was thinking about riding up to Kingsport to see a Farragut-DB matchup and hoping to follow the Indians through the playoffs. I would think DB needs to think about dropping some of those Sullivans and picking up a team such as Gallatin or Ravenwood, or even Maryville, which in addition to Oak Ridge would give them a tougher non Region schedule, and playing one of these teams down around Week 8 would help them going into the playoffs....

After reading some of these posts I have just a couple of observations. It's not just a DB thing it is a region one thing. How many players from NE Tennessee, specificly region one, go on to D1 year in and year out? Not Many. For that matter, maybe it's a state thing. I haven't looked at a roster break down, but how many of the young men who don orange and white and the Power T on the side of their helments on Saturday afternoon actually hail from the Volunteer state? I dare say less that 30 percent.

Second, to all you message board coaches I don't know what I would like to see more you trying to coach a high school football team for a week or Coach Clark or any high school coach get to peer over your shoulder at your workplace and criticize the job you do. The game is different today, the kids are different, the situations are different, the distractions are different, and coach's responsibilities are different. Most of us couldn't last a week as a high school football coach much less come up with a win on Friday night. Put down the Madden on X-box, they deal with the real.

Finally, stink it up. You had a good season. You've got every right to be disappointed. What you don't have the right to do is question the the players and the coaches. Truth be told it's their team. They put in the work, the blood sweat and tears. The rest of us just get to go along for the ride and enjoy following them play and get our hopes up for the glory of a Gold Ball. Guess what, when it is all said and done only 6 or so teams in the state will finish the season with a win and not disappointed. Your coach and your team had a good year and they represented your school and city well. They don't deserve to be hung out to dry.

Truth is they don't just play or coach for championships. They play and coach for the love of the game.

Edited by VikingVoice

After reading some of these posts I have just a couple of observations. It's not just a DB thing it is a region one thing. How many players from NE Tennessee, specificly region one, go on to D1 year in and year out? Not Many. For that matter, maybe it's a state thing. I haven't looked at a roster break down, but how many of the young men who don orange and white and the Power T on the side of their helments on Saturday afternoon actually hail from the Volunteer state? I dare say less that 30 percent.

Second, to all you message board coaches I don't know what I would like to see more you trying to coach a high school football team for a week or Coach Clark or any high school coach get to peer over your shoulder at your workplace and criticize the job you do. The game is different today, the kids are different, the situations are different, the distractions are different, and coach's responsibilities are different. Most of us couldn't last a week as a high school football coach much less come up with a win on Friday night. Put down the Madden on X-box, they deal with the real.

Finally, stink it up. You had a good season. You've got every right to be disappointed. What you don't have the right to do is question the the players and the coaches. Truth be told it's their team. They put in the work, the blood sweat and tears. The rest of us just get to go along for the ride and enjoy following them play and get our hopes up for the glory of a Gold Ball. Guess what, when it is all said and done only 6 or so teams in the state will finish the season with a win and not disappointed. Your coach and your team had a good year and they represented your school and city well. They don't deserve to be hung out to dry.

Truth is they don't just play or coach for championships. They play and coach for the love of the game.

You must not be a parent of a player...or better yet a parent of a player that has already graduated that is still involved in the day to day business of running a high school football program. The "second" jobs are numerous...Maintaining the field year round (mowing, fertilizing, sodding, overseeding, sanding, etc...), Running the Optimist Club, running the concessions for both major sports, fund raising (which is year round job), general carpentry, plumbing, and electrical work. The list is endless. And we are generally the parents who keep our mouth shut. Because we are the parents of the starters...most of the time yes, but there are those times that our "Superstars" get the short end of the stick also and we bite our lip. It is tough to keep quite when you are doing a lions share of the load. Sure, the coaches don't have time for these consequential details and somone has to take on the responsibility. And you think this volunteer work garners our players special treatment...think again. If anything, they are made to be examples. My point is, that sometimes we need to say our say and out of respect we are mum. These message boards provide "us" a place to vent and say how we think it should be done. You say, why don't you just go to the coach? If it is bad enough and warranted then we will however when you depend on someone to do a task you can't expect to stand there and dictate to them how it should be done. We all need creative freedom. And in the case of the situation regarding this thread it is of a nature that naturally applies to us all. There is a point at which action has to be taken but first you must allow your representative to represent. This issue is one that is very hallowed ground. You have an enormously successful coach that has continued in a program that replicates itself. His failure is a failure of repeated battle fright. When the stakes are highest his performance is lowest. Can that issue be fixed? Does he have the ability to correct his error. Can he navigate through this burial ground situation. Nine times out of ten...no. Not without devine intervention. This kind of problem requires soul searching. It requires truth serum. It requires confession and repent and consequently a consentual rebirth. Is a 50 year old man set in his ways capable of this? Maybe yes, maybe no. But if he is then the outcome is nothing short of Holiness. This issue is one that only Graham Clark can fix. It is the brick wall to a marathoner, the rip cord to a skydiver, it is the leap of faith that only we as individuals can take. And so how easy it is to say what the problem is here...Oh but how difficult it is in life to overcome the ultimate obstacle. The fact is we all must deal with our demons however some of us have the priveledge of dealing with it privately. Graham Clark must deal with it publically. It's the profession he chose...it is the life he loves. I think that presented with adversity a man such as himself will ultimately overcome. And I wish him well.

I think that presented with adversity a man such as himself will ultimately overcome. And I wish him well.

Excellent post. hopefully you have made clear what this thread should be about. I agree with vikingvoice that this is also a region 1 issue.

As for something he said that Ido not agree with, when I am doing my job at work, and I do something that negatively impacts others, I hear about it and try to make changes. they don't have to know anything about my job. they just know that they were impacted and that I was responsible. Same here. Fans and supporter do count - as you eloquently point out.

You must not be a parent of a player...or better yet a parent of a player that has already graduated that is still involved in the day to day business of running a high school football program. The "second" jobs are numerous...Maintaining the field year round (mowing, fertilizing, sodding, overseeding, sanding, etc...), Running the Optimist Club, running the concessions for both major sports, fund raising (which is year round job), general carpentry, plumbing, and electrical work. The list is endless. And we are generally the parents who keep our mouth shut. Because we are the parents of the starters...most of the time yes, but there are those times that our "Superstars" get the short end of the stick also and we bite our lip. It is tough to keep quite when you are doing a lions share of the load. Sure, the coaches don't have time for these consequential details and somone has to take on the responsibility. And you think this volunteer work garners our players special treatment...think again. If anything, they are made to be examples. My point is, that sometimes we need to say our say and out of respect we are mum. These message boards provide "us" a place to vent and say how we think it should be done. You say, why don't you just go to the coach? If it is bad enough and warranted then we will however when you depend on someone to do a task you can't expect to stand there and dictate to them how it should be done. We all need creative freedom. And in the case of the situation regarding this thread it is of a nature that naturally applies to us all. There is a point at which action has to be taken but first you must allow your representative to represent. This issue is one that is very hallowed ground. You have an enormously successful coach that has continued in a program that replicates itself. His failure is a failure of repeated battle fright. When the stakes are highest his performance is lowest. Can that issue be fixed? Does he have the ability to correct his error. Can he navigate through this burial ground situation. Nine times out of ten...no. Not without devine intervention. This kind of problem requires soul searching. It requires truth serum. It requires confession and repent and consequently a consentual rebirth. Is a 50 year old man set in his ways capable of this? Maybe yes, maybe no. But if he is then the outcome is nothing short of Holiness. This issue is one that only Graham Clark can fix. It is the brick wall to a marathoner, the rip cord to a skydiver, it is the leap of faith that only we as individuals can take. And so how easy it is to say what the problem is here...Oh but how difficult it is in life to overcome the ultimate obstacle. The fact is we all must deal with our demons however some of us have the priveledge of dealing with it privately. Graham Clark must deal with it publically. It's the profession he chose...it is the life he loves. I think that presented with adversity a man such as himself will ultimately overcome. And I wish him well.

Well said! Excellent!...Did Rick Reilly from SI help on this? I've got a sneaking suspicsion that you "bill" for rebutals. If not, you missed your calling. Seriously, well written!