Dobyns Bennett & the Playoffs

WaCoJaCo

The more things change....The more they stay the same

I wonder if at the start of next years football season DB will be ranked #1 again. I wonder if DB fans will be talking "State Championship" again. Or was this finally the straw that broke the camels back. Certainly the players and coaches worked their butts off this year, just like every year, and should be praised for that. But at some point we all have to face the facts. This team was not going to win a State Championship. These were the guys we have all been watching sinse the 8th grade, and were said to be the "great hope". This was the team that would "finally" bring home the Gold Ball. The result, not even close. I see the same pattern with all the past DB teams that were "expected" to win it all. There are probably several different reasons why DB falls flat in the playoffs. Looking past their opponent, "choking", poor play calling, weak schedule, and just plain ole gettin' beat by a better team. You could probably roll all those reasons up in a ball and that would answer the question. At this point I have come to the conclusion that not a single DB team is as good as we DB fans think. I don't think the coaching staff is as good as we think, and I am positive DB is not as good as the people that vote in the polls think they are. I am sure some DB fans will really let me have it for even saying that, but I speak the truth. Why don't we all just settle down and realize our place in this world. DB is probabbly the best team year in and year out in Upper East Tennessee, and thats about it. People have been telling us all year that we would get beat in the first round and now they are laughing at us. So DB fans, before Basketball, and Baseball season gets underway, please let this be your final leason. Just try to win the district and don't even mention going to state. thanks

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

waco,

Understandably, you're upset, but do you have to torch the

entire program? Why tear down the coaching staff? The

community supports the football team, and there is value

in winning your region.

DB beat their regional competition. The trick is to play

above your competition in anticipation of the playoffs.

One suggestion would be to travel and play tougher

opponents outside of your region. Oak Ridge fits

that bill, but maybe it will take more extreme

steps to play at "state" level.

There are plenty of opinions about this issue, and it

will be interesting to read what some other people

think.

The more things change....The more they stay the same

I wonder if at the start of next years football season DB will be ranked #1 again. I wonder if DB fans will be talking "State Championship" again. Or was this finally the straw that broke the camels back. Certainly the players and coaches worked their butts off this year, just like every year, and should be praised for that. But at some point we all have to face the facts. This team was not going to win a State Championship. These were the guys we have all been watching sinse the 8th grade, and were said to be the "great hope". This was the team that would "finally" bring home the Gold Ball. The result, not even close. I see the same pattern with all the past DB teams that were "expected" to win it all. There are probably several different reasons why DB falls flat in the playoffs. Looking past their opponent, "choking", poor play calling, weak schedule, and just plain ole gettin' beat by a better team. You could probably roll all those reasons up in a ball and that would answer the question. At this point I have come to the conclusion that not a single DB team is as good as we DB fans think. I don't think the coaching staff is as good as we think, and I am positive DB is not as good as the people that vote in the polls think they are. I am sure some DB fans will really let me have it for even saying that, but I speak the truth. Why don't we all just settle down and realize our place in this world. DB is probabbly the best team year in and year out in Upper East Tennessee, and thats about it. People have been telling us all year that we would get beat in the first round and now they are laughing at us. So DB fans, before Basketball, and Baseball season gets underway, please let this be your final leason. Just try to win the district and don't even mention going to state. thanks

WaCo ...that was a great post :)

I would encourage all the D-B fans to continue to support your program and your teams. This is a storied program with a great reputation, and no one at D-B has reason to be ashamed. Maybe disappointed, but they do continue to be one of the better programs in the state. It is hard to come in year after year and win it all, especially in the 5A class, where there are more teams capable of beating another team than in any other classification (I'm sure that will get all the 4A's fired up).

Year in and year out Dobyns-Bennett is one of the best and can stand tall and proud.

Upper East Tn and those 'Gold Balls' just don't go in the same sentence. I feel your pain for all of us that are used to coming up short in football. I really hate getting used to losing, but that is play-off football in this area of the state. :) NOT that it is acceptable but a reality. We (Cyclones) came up terribly short and me and mine won't get used to that feeling although we will learn from the mistakes of this season. We'll move on and be smarter for having the experience. Your young men are warriors and will do the same.

WaCoJaCo, I for one appreciate you starting this thread. You are 90% correct this time. It is an issue that needs to be discussed and not hidden in a closet as some DB and region 1 fans would like it to be. The only thing I do not agree with is that it has to be this way and that we should get used to it. I do believe that henceforth we should cut the state champion banter completely and turn the proverbial back to anyone who starts it in a thread or anywhere else.

I've been watching DB teams for 8 years now since my kids started going there and I was re-introduced to sports at DB. It seems to me that the teams in region 1 have gotten weaker (Jeff Co., Sevier Co. (they are better this year and remember they won state), Science Hill). I believe region 1 is much weaker relative to region 2 than it used to be. I also believe that DB is playing teams outside of region that it should not be - just so the local athletic departments can make $$'s. There are other problem areas but for starters, work on something that can be tackled - strength of schedule. And don't worry about not having a 10-0 regular season if that be the result.

You may not be able to strenghen region 1 in the short term but you can strengthen DB's schedule. There are 4 non-region slots. Fill them all with strong 4A,5A, and private school teams. Yes travel is an issue. Yes, it will not bring in as much money as playing South, Elizabethton, or Tennessee High. But it will build experience in the team. That fact needs to be faced directly by the DB coaching staff and the new athletic director and THEY need to take care of that business.

In the longer term, regional coaches and athletic directors need to meet and discuss ways to work together to stengthen the region. Is that even possible? Opposing schools work together? If they do that it will not hurt regional teams who play each other. It would absolutely improve everyone's chances of going further in playoffs whether they be DB, TN High, South, or whomever.

Pardon me for bringing up the DB band here. I've been watching them mature for 8 years too and they have and are finding this very solution. The band used to mostly compete in local competitions. These were relatively easy and they did well in them. But when they tried outside this area they did somewhat poorly. They changed their mindset. They complete locally now in exhibition for the purpose of both practice and to get input from the judges on what needs to change. They learn from these and make changes. Then they compete against the best. They learn from their mistakes and correct them. The result- a state championship after never in recent years coming closer than 5th place. Actually it was more a TN/KY championship since there is a Tn and KY Governor's trophy.

That's at least in part what the DB football team needs to do too. Get experience any time they can playing really good teams. The players will learn and so will the coaches.

Let me say this, I hope anyone who wants to get on this thread and say non-constructive, negative things about anyone's team needs to just go outside and show your immaturity by putting salt on a few snails.

Edited by DBGRAD70

Upper East Tn and those 'Gold Balls' just don't go in the same sentence.

Mo-East 1969

Tennessee 1971

Runner Up:

Cloudland 2001

Mo-West 2003

Don't really know where the official division is for "Upper East TN" I kinda always though it was between Mo-Town and Greeneville. When I'm there I know it, I just can't define it. It used to be where I could buy Dr. Enuf, but they sell that in Maryville now at Food City.

Edited by Red Rebels

Its tough to go home again. Its crazy that anyone would suggest giving up. My team went 5-5 but there is always next year and the year after that. I am sure most DB faithful dont and won't ever give up. I have always respected DB and always will. There are reasons for that and to suggest giving up is not one of them.

Edited by Wildmanfan

Its tough to go home again. Its crazy that anyone would suggest giving up. My team went 5-5 but there is always next year and the year after that. I am sure most DB faithful dont and won't ever give up. I have always respected DB and always will. There are reasons for that and to suggest giving up is not one of them.

I guess I never made myself clear. I wanted my post to say, Lets stop with the State Championship talk until we actually are in position to play for one. And to get to that point changes will have to be made. The coaching staff is the best DB has ever had but there has to be a change in the way they approch a game. The schedule in very, very weak. there is two changes that have to be made now.

At the start of the season everyone knew DB had two running backs capable of russhing for over 1,000 yrds. In the end they had about 800 combined. Friday night Clark only attempted 12 rushes with three backs. With DB's overall speed does anyone think that maybe in three tries you could pitch out to the wide side of the field to Barnes or Sylvester and score from the 5?

The schedule:

OUT - Elizabethton, South, Tennessee High

IN - Morristown West, Knox. Central, Alcoa

And who cares if you end up 6-4. William Blount was 6-4 and their moving on.

next year we are droping south for william blount souths tierd of playing us i guess but idk play calling was deffinatly questionable friday night we need to run our power backs in the middle n sylvester and barnes to the outside like u said waco but clark didnt figure that out when he should have but it wouldnt hurt to get rid of betsy and tenn high as well n pick up some region 2 or really good 4a teams morristown west would be nice