Dobyns Bennett & the Playoffs

WaCoJaCo

This isn't a particularly mature post Waco. It's about PLAYERS man, nothing more, nothing less. D-B was great in 2002, 2000, and 1998. All of those teams had PLAYERS. I'm talking about guys who were SEC, ACC, and other D-I players. Shoot, two of them were draft picks for goodness sake. Those teams were good enough to win it all. Championships also are won with some good luck. No way Red Bank was better than us in 2000, no way. But, they had a monsoon rain that benefitted their power running game and they beat us by a touchdown. Riverdale beat us in 2002 when we ran up and down the field all night, but lost our 275 pound Senior center and couldn't punch it in when it counted. We also let them pick up a shanked punt and return it for the game winner. That's what I'm talking about ....it also takes a break here or there to win a title. It's not about choking, bad competition, D-B stinks, or any of that garbage. All of these haters will be the first ones sprinting onto the bandwagon when D-B does win a title.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, these are inheriently long winded posts but these words are all heart felt. We from the South Side are trying to focus on one game at a time. It is already on paper that we won't play DB next year along with 2 others. Not playing DB is something we are divided on. I personally feel it is putting our tail between our legs but I don't think it was just our desicion. However, I see your view on the matter and I agree with the fact that you would want to upgrade your schedule. We hate you so badly but we admire you so much. We want to be and have the all the things great coaching and community support brings to a program such as yours. The whole state knows who Kingsport is without winning a championship. That is not good enough. You do everything right. We win in Optimist, we win in club ball, we rule in middle school and then in HS we fold. It is sickening. You train in the lower ranks, you deversify in middle school and then in HS you put it all together and it clicks. We have the most talent we have had in the history of Colonial Heights and it spans over 9 groups. But as we enter middle school many of our 7th graders are starters on the MS team and we at that point soul search for the decision of whether or not to send them to DB. A few go most stay. And we continuously anguish over whether we made the wrong decision or not. We were so hopful that you would go all the way this year. It inspired us to do the same. Who says we can't beat M West or Maryville. And how much respect would we have attained if Kingsport won both 4A and 5A in the same year. We have the fruit and it is time for our harvest...together. Then even you would respect us...your little 4A brethern. I think it is sad that at the beginning of the season Waco stated that DB would not make it past the first round...and he is one of your most staunch supporters on here. The sad part is that it came to pass. I think this...Graham Clark and Stacy Carter are the correct coaches and their direction is good. Stacy needs a little tweaking but he is still young. The fire you possesed against us this year is the fire you did not bring against anyone else. The fire we brought against TSH is the fire it takes to go all the way. I think instead of hating each other we should inspire each other and support each other to go the distance. It was awsome to see Bo and some of the other players at the Castle' in support of us. So in all these words do I have a solution. Maybe I have said it and don't realize it. Maybe instead to compete against each other we should bolster each other in our respective endeavors. Curt Phillips is not all we have. Coty Sensabaugh is not all you have. We must take it up another level. We have the weapons but we need more fire.

I don't want to make anyone mad, maybe I shouldn't be in here. My grandson has played for Ridgeway for the past 4 years. Five years ago they finally won a title in 3A, then got moved to 4A. We had good years and made the playoffs but couldn't get out of the Memphis area because of Melrose. Then we moved up to 5A and knocked Germantown out of the way and went to the semis at Ravenwood last year.

Every year our coach has us play games against a good 4a team and out of state teams. We have been right across the state line to Ms., gone to Mo., Ark, (twice) and Ky. (3 times) and had a N.Car. team scheduled the year that a 'cane came up in that area and flooded everything. There are all kind of teams out there that will help with cost of the trip. Plus this really helps bring your team together. But always know the rules on OT if you ever go out of state, this cost us a perfect record last year.

We took our g/son out to eat the other night and my wife told him how great it was that they were 10-0. His reply, "Don't mean anything usless we win state." We are the only team in this area to be 10-0 and this is only the second team in the history of the school to do it. I just don't think that is true and maybe later in life he will understand what I was trying to tell him. Never in all the years I played sports was I on a team that was 10-0, very few ever are.

If we don't win state I hope our booster club is smart enough to play up the 10-0 record and say nothing about the playoffs at the year end bash. I hope your's is also that smart.

If you are in a weak region like we are maybe you should really look at out of region games. But any team that wins 8+ games should have an extra scoop of ice cream on their pie. 10-0 should get them a whole pie and a 1/2 gallon of i/cream.

You weren't the only #1 to go down and we won by only 3 points. This thing is getting more even each year. Even Melrose has had alot of close calls this year. Most of the times when you change a good thing, it becomes a bad thing. When you see a player or coach, shake their hand, pat 'em on the back and tell them what a great season it was, I promise you, everyone will feel better..........

Okay, an upgrade in the toughness of the schedule,

but 2 4A schools and a very tough 2A.

Why not a couple of 5A or privates?

What is wrong with 4A schools? The best team in the state is arguably Maryville, wouldn't that be more than enough challenge to help move DB's program along? 1A 2A whatever, that just tells us how many students are in the school. Tough football is tough football. Granted, DB has owned whatever 4A schools around here that they have played lately, but they can always look to Knoxville for bigger challenges.

Another thought, and mind it that it is only a thought, what kind of pressure do you think is on the Coach and the Athletic Director to schedule those easy games? Why you ask, because no one wants to see DB lose any week in Kingsport.....lots of money can be lost if people become disinterested in DB playing games they can't win......mind you, this is just a thought.

IN - Morristown West, Knox. Central, Alcoa

Why not Maryville and Riverdale? You think they just wouldn't play us? I've heard some Riverdale fans on here that seem like they would love to. Too long a trip for regular season?

Compusatman, it may be best that South and DB not play each other for a while. I have never understood what the friction is. We work with each other for heavens sake! Seem self fueling - rivalry that is out of control. Seems like a good thing for level headed community leaders to work on.

The more things change....The more they stay the same

I wonder if at the start of next years football season DB will be ranked #1 again. I wonder if DB fans will be talking "State Championship" again. Or was this finally the straw that broke the camels back. Certainly the players and coaches worked their butts off this year, just like every year, and should be praised for that. But at some point we all have to face the facts. This team was not going to win a State Championship. These were the guys we have all been watching sinse the 8th grade, and were said to be the "great hope". This was the team that would "finally" bring home the Gold Ball. The result, not even close. I see the same pattern with all the past DB teams that were "expected" to win it all. There are probably several different reasons why DB falls flat in the playoffs. Looking past their opponent, "choking", poor play calling, weak schedule, and just plain ole gettin' beat by a better team. You could probably roll all those reasons up in a ball and that would answer the question. At this point I have come to the conclusion that not a single DB team is as good as we DB fans think. I don't think the coaching staff is as good as we think, and I am positive DB is not as good as the people that vote in the polls think they are. I am sure some DB fans will really let me have it for even saying that, but I speak the truth. Why don't we all just settle down and realize our place in this world. DB is probabbly the best team year in and year out in Upper East Tennessee, and thats about it. People have been telling us all year that we would get beat in the first round and now they are laughing at us. So DB fans, before Basketball, and Baseball season gets underway, please let this be your final leason. Just try to win the district and don't even mention going to state. thanks

great post.you have earned my respect waco. you do have a great program. you also have some overzealous fans that cause smack talk when a loss occurs. its never been the players- they are classy, some fans need to learn from them. honestly good luck in the future.

Why not Maryville and Riverdale? You think they just wouldn't play us? I've heard some Riverdale fans on here that seem like they would love to. Too long a trip for regular season?

Compusatman, it may be best that South and DB not play each other for a while. I have never understood what the friction is. We work with each other for heavens sake! Seem self fueling - rivalry that is out of control. Seems like a good thing for level headed community leaders to work on.

[/quot

Theres still a chance Maryville will end up in Region 1 5A and Campbell Co. will move out. Either way we would probably end up playing these two teams in the playoffs if we advanced that far. Im not a big fan of playing the same team twice in one year. Morristown West & Knox. Central are very good every year and Alcoa can play with any team in the state year in and year out. So what if you lose a couple games in Reg. season. Maybe with some competion during the season the coaching staff would figure out that you really do have to run the ball to beat good teams.

Simple solution for the 'long trip' excuse would be schedule it at a neutral site like Tn Tech at Cookeville with BOTH teams splitting the cost. That also would have fans from both schools traveling about the same distance.

See there is no problem that cannot be solved with enough folks having input.

I think 'part' of the problem involves voters from the AP when they hype one school just because of their location instead of their true capabilities. This is also partly the coaches fault in that they tend to not grant interviews to writers that tell the truth instead of seeing it their way. NOT saying DB is guilty of this as LOTS of schools do this. This was shown real well in 2004 when the AP voters had DB ranked #1 in the state and R'dale lower when R'dale was clearly the better team and was NATIONALLY ranked while DB was not. Again I am NOT taking a shot at DB, but the AP voters.

Part of the problem is OUR fault. I say this as when R'dale went north to play Worthington-Kilbourne folks kept saying why play a school out of state and not just schools locally. Unfortunately 'local' don't always make the 'team' better.

For me I have wanted R'dale to schedule and play Hoover in Ala for the last 4 years. Yes R'dale might have lost, but the team would have been better for it in the long run. In 2004 I 'think' we could have taken them and showed them a great whipping. Just my thinking, but it IS what I think.

Will this make DB better at playoff time? Probably, but no one will know unless they have the courage to try it.