Dobyns Bennett & the Playoffs

WaCoJaCo

To try and play the other side again, why would these teams west of Knoxville want to add DB to their schedule? Most of these teams seem to be fairly successful they way they are. Then again, I guess the question has to be asked if the teams would make more money if they did scheduled DB. Again, not to say that "money is everything" but from the point of view from people who have to look at those options......it might make teams want to play DB more often.

I still think that if DB adds Maryville and a couple of other teams from Knoxville that are tough, it'll make the program better since they will have more games where they are in those tough situations.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that most people in Kingsport know that the AP poll is a joke. The computer ratings are better but flawed too. I'm guessing that is because you can't compare regions very well with stats that are generated regular season. Not enough corelational data between regions. The ole garbage in, garbage out syndrome.

Lost Ole Dad, what do you think the chances are of DB playing Riverdale regular season? Like at game 0? I'm not sure I buy the old wives tale that its really hard to beat a team twice in one year.

I think that most people in Kingsport know that the AP poll is a joke. The computer ratings are better but flawed too. I'm guessing that is because you can't compare regions very well with stats that are generated regular season. Not enough corelational data between regions. The ole garbage in, garbage out syndrome.

Lost Ole Dad, what do you think the chances are of DB playing Riverdale regular season? Like at game 0? I'm not sure I buy the old wives tale that its really hard to beat a team twice in one year.

No idea as my son graduated this last May and I am not as close to the program as I once was. I know that Coach A is a good guy and WILL do things to make this team better. This was proven when he scheduled McCallie this year after W-K chickened out of the rematch.

Usually we play Siegel in Week 0 though as that schedule is set at least for a year or two.

Maybe the solution for the WHOLE state is that ALL the coaches meet and try to work things out in the way of scheduling. This is also hard to do as there are two competing Coaches organizations vying for their little free time. This also involves the one thing that is a constant in all things football unfortunately and that is MONEY!

Maybe the TSSAA should get involved and earn some of the money all the schools are paying them? Maybe the solution is to go back to three classes? I don't really know as I do not have access to records and the money issues involved.

Maybe a help would be a board made up from knowledgeable CoachT posters to aid the TSSAA.

Main thing is we all have to think out of the normal box to make Tn football BETTER in the long run.

2 years ago Ooltewah tried scheduling DB and DB didn't want to. DB should start playing stiffer non-region competition.....

You are wrong. DB could not schedule a game with Ooltewh as DB had already set their schedule. You make it sound as if DB does not want to play tough non-region teams. Ask MBA about that

Well, these are inheriently long winded posts but these words are all heart felt. We from the South Side are trying to focus on one game at a time. It is already on paper that we won't play DB next year along with 2 others. Not playing DB is something we are divided on. I personally feel it is putting our tail between our legs but I don't think it was just our desicion. However, I see your view on the matter and I agree with the fact that you would want to upgrade your schedule. We hate you so badly but we admire you so much. We want to be and have the all the things great coaching and community support brings to a program such as yours. The whole state knows who Kingsport is without winning a championship. That is not good enough. You do everything right. We win in Optimist, we win in club ball, we rule in middle school and then in HS we fold. It is sickening. You train in the lower ranks, you deversify in middle school and then in HS you put it all together and it clicks. We have the most talent we have had in the history of Colonial Heights and it spans over 9 groups. But as we enter middle school many of our 7th graders are starters on the MS team and we at that point soul search for the decision of whether or not to send them to DB. A few go most stay. And we continuously anguish over whether we made the wrong decision or not. We were so hopful that you would go all the way this year. It inspired us to do the same. Who says we can't beat M West or Maryville. And how much respect would we have attained if Kingsport won both 4A and 5A in the same year. We have the fruit and it is time for our harvest...together. Then even you would respect us...your little 4A brethern. I think it is sad that at the beginning of the season Waco stated that DB would not make it past the first round...and he is one of your most staunch supporters on here. The sad part is that it came to pass. I think this...Graham Clark and Stacy Carter are the correct coaches and their direction is good. Stacy needs a little tweaking but he is still young. The fire you possesed against us this year is the fire you did not bring against anyone else. The fire we brought against TSH is the fire it takes to go all the way. I think instead of hating each other we should inspire each other and support each other to go the distance. It was awsome to see Bo and some of the other players at the Castle' in support of us. So in all these words do I have a solution. Maybe I have said it and don't realize it. Maybe instead to compete against each other we should bolster each other in our respective endeavors. Curt Phillips is not all we have. Coty Sensabaugh is not all you have. We must take it up another level. We have the weapons but we need more fire.

Good post. Dobyns Bennett, a traditionally winning program, and up and coming Sullivan South are a testiment to Kingsport football. Not to forget Sullivan North, although with fewer skills players they still give you their best always. Kingsport football is to be respected. Our approach may be wrong, but year in and year out we are succesful. Geography and location may be a deterant to change, money is as well, but Kingsport football is still to be respected. The rest of the state can sing their praises and glories, 4 other #1 seeds lost. A #1 seed (statewide or regionally) does not mean your invinsible, it means you should be in the game the whole game, as we were. Take that into consideration. Go Indians, Go Rebs, Go Raiders.

You are wrong. DB could not schedule a game with Ooltewh as DB had already set their schedule. You make it sound as if DB does not want to play tough non-region teams. Ask MBA about that

Well is that not the truth? I remember DB did at first say yes and then changed their mind and said they want to play someone that could play all three games as in Varsity, JV and Freshman instead of Varsity and Freshman. Anyways, that was 2 years ago so it doesn't matter. I just brought it up because of the talk about DB not playing better non-region competition.

Keep you heads up Indians and fans! Seniors we appreciate your hard work and dedication. Use this experience as a foundation to build a successful life.

This was a bitter defeat. My only comment is that D-B needs to play better out of conference competition like the old days! Back in the heyday of D-B football we took on the top teams from Virginia, Illinois, Indiana, Georgia, North Carolina and Florida. I know KCS has budget constraints but I'd much rather see D-B lose to a tough out of state team once or twice a year than beat local 4A teams by 40 points. Hopefully we can find a way to schedule the McCallie, Riverdale, MBA calibur teams regular season to prepare the boys for the playoffs. Bringing home a gold ball would make everybody forget about loses to out of state power houses at seasons end!

Roll Tribe!

Okay, an upgrade in the toughness of the schedule,

but 2 4A schools and a very tough 2A.

Why not a couple of 5A or privates?

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned the quality of athletes that the state produces to go on and " actually play" D1 college ball is very small. Most dissagreed with different excuses. I totally agree about playing other competition, but geographically it is hard to travel 2 plus hours (plus money) for %100 of your the non conf games and %50 of conf. DB already traveled 2 or more hours 3/5 times this year. IF DB is really going to get serious about playing up to their competition then why not out of state?? Look at all the good schools DB could play in VA NC and SC within 3 hours. Now we are talking competition! I'm sorry but DB cant be the number 1 in 5A and not have several players being recruited by some D1 schools. It can happen BUT so can lightning strikes. With only 3-4 starters coming back and a Jr class that hasnt exactly dominated in prior yrs, why would South drop??? They thought they could beat DB this year and not next, somebody missed the bus!! Good luck to South, TN H and all of the ETN schools. I dont care who brings home the gold ball, just somebody!

No idea as my son graduated this last May and I am not as close to the program as I once was. I know that Coach A is a good guy and WILL do things to make this team better. This was proven when he scheduled McCallie this year after W-K chickened out of the rematch.

Usually we play Siegel in Week 0 though as that schedule is set at least for a year or two.

Maybe the solution for the WHOLE state is that ALL the coaches meet and try to work things out in the way of scheduling. This is also hard to do as there are two competing Coaches organizations vying for their little free time. This also involves the one thing that is a constant in all things football unfortunately and that is MONEY!

Maybe the TSSAA should get involved and earn some of the money all the schools are paying them? Maybe the solution is to go back to three classes? I don't really know as I do not have access to records and the money issues involved.

Maybe a help would be a board made up from knowledgeable CoachT posters to aid the TSSAA.

Main thing is we all have to think out of the normal box to make Tn football BETTER in the long run.

TSSAA get involved? The only way they will get involved is if they can put more $$$$ in their pockets. Even state politicians wont tackle those guys when it comes to money. Ever noticed the student section for playoffs football or basketball? It stinks that a student ticket is marked up %40 from 5 to 7 just for the good ol boys pocket book! Not only did the prices go up but more games too. At the minimum student prices should stay the same.

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned the quality of athletes that the state produces to go on and " actually play" D1 college ball is very small. Most dissagreed with different excuses. I totally agree about playing other competition, but geographically it is hard to travel 2 plus hours (plus money) for %100 of your the non conf games and %50 of conf. DB already traveled 2 or more hours 3/5 times this year. IF DB is really going to get serious about playing up to their competition then why not out of state?? Look at all the good schools DB could play in VA NC and SC within 3 hours. Now we are talking competition! I'm sorry but DB cant be the number 1 in 5A and not have several players being recruited by some D1 schools. It can happen BUT so can lightning strikes. With only 3-4 starters coming back and a Jr class that hasnt exactly dominated in prior yrs, why would South drop??? They thought they could beat DB this year and not next, somebody missed the bus!! Good luck to South, TN H and all of the ETN schools. I dont care who brings home the gold ball, just somebody!

What South fans/parents really want to drop is their AD. He is the source of many undigestable problems. Namely, most bad communications with DB.