Dobyns Bennett & the Playoffs

WaCoJaCo

I suggest we all focus our energy this weekend rooting for Hampton in 1-A.

I agree that we should all now root for Hampton. The truth is tho that nobody really cares - unless you're a school like DB that you can really hate and root for the opponent regardless of what region they're from - like Central & crew. BTW, this year nor the year we played Red Bank were the years we had the best chance to win state. it was 2002 I believe, when Riverdale ended our season in the semi's. We could and should have won that one.

------- the thread that never dies ------

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feel your pain maroonandgrey, at least you all made the playoffs. Oh and I wasn't trying to say anything about making excuses. Just trying to explain how it works.

Since they closed our last thread about Oak Ridge I got to go somewhere.

Hey Bounder....it is tough not (Oak Ridge) playing football right now, I have always thought DB had a first class program, Graham Clark is a good coach, first class guy, and according to my friends up there, they had a solid defense, but the offense was a little lacking, they were not able to run the ball on William Blount at all and the game remained close and they lost late..they say and the schedule weakness late in the season hurt them too, but overall, this is a great program, and man, I wish we had that nice new facility at Blankenship like they got opened up last year up there at J Fred, they have nice coaches offices, weight rooms etc there...wish OR could get funding for a ficility like that at Blankenship...

Hey Bounder....it is tough not (Oak Ridge) playing football right now, I have always thought DB had a first class program, Graham Clark is a good coach, first class guy, and according to my friends up there, they had a solid defense, but the offense was a little lacking, they were not able to run the ball on William Blount at all and the game remained close and they lost late..they say and the schedule weakness late in the season hurt them too, but overall, this is a great program, and man, I wish we had that nice new facility at Blankenship like they got opened up last year up there at J Fred, they have nice coaches offices, weight rooms etc there...wish OR could get funding for a ficility like that at Blankenship...

the new field house was built 80% or more by private donations - alumni mostly. don't wait on the city or school system to build it. band together an find the funding yourselves.

the new field house was built 80% or more by private donations - alumni mostly. don't wait on the city or school system to build it. band together an find the funding yourselves.

Yes and the fact that it was done mostly by private donations is a great testament to how much the community believes in the school. Don't you think it would be great if the next venture of the alumni association would be to completely renovate J Fred? City engineers are saying the time has come for something to be done or the facility may become unsafe in the near future.

Weak Schedule!!!!!! This takes place every season with the DB fans talking about how good their team is but they never get out of East Tennessee much less face the good Middle Tennessee teams. If DB is to ever win a state championship they must upgrade their non region schedule. What happened to the game they used to schedule against MBA? Take a look at Ravenwood's non region schedule, can we say tough?

Edited by cbg

This thread certainly proves one common saying found on the T-shirts around D-B. "Loved or hated, but NEVER igonored". D-B has been out of the playoffs for 3 weeks and we're still talking about them. That's a tribute to the passion the Indians create. Whether you hate them and love seeing them fail, or you love them and die inside with their losses, 90 years creates passion not found in most programs. As I've said in other threads, D-B will eventually win a state title. Then, others will have to find something else to criticize (and they will). The shame of it is the timing. Judging by who is left in 5A, this would have been a great year to win it. However, as timing so often works, this D-B team wasn't the right one to come around on the wheel to do it. It will time up sooner or later. Just ask Sevier County from 1999.

What happened to the game they used to schedule against MBA?

I don't know what happened, although distance (300 miles or so) probably played a big factor.

Gosh, what two great games those were. Both went into overtime (one to 3 OTs), the visitor won both times at what were difficult places for road teams to win, DI vs. DII, and both matchups featured the two programs with the most all-time wins in Tennessee.