Dobyns Bennett & the Playoffs

WaCoJaCo

It should be able to be done. Just a matter of how you approach it. Man is just a coach, not God. When Rankin was here even I was able to talk to him, and that was a real effort on BOTH our parts.

BTW when you see Bush please tell him I want a raise! :(

If I was good friends with any of the coaches I would talk to them about it. I only know a few of them well enough to speak. I think that would be a conversation for "good friends".

The last time I talked to Bush about a raise he told me to run for Congress and I could just vote myself a raise.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be able to be done. Just a matter of how you approach it. Man is just a coach, not God. When Rankin was here even I was able to talk to him, and that was a real effort on BOTH our parts.

BTW when you see Bush please tell him I want a raise! :(

Some of the coaches have read this thread. I've stumbled across a couple online reading it. They know.

BTW, I told W 3 weeks ago that it'd be a mistake to fire the SecOfDefense. He just wouldn't listen. :lol::(

Edited by DBGRAD70

Hey, I started this thread. But I never once intertained the thought that Clark or any other coach should leave DB. This is the best group of coaches DB has ever had. We as fans are just dumbfounded at what happens in the playoffs. Great coaching and for the most part great play calling in the regular season. It has nothing to do with other areas of the state having better athletes, nothing to do with "choking" and not about players blowing assignments. These coaches have gone up against the best coaches and teams in the state in regular season and beat them. They beat MBA on their home field ending a 34 game win streak when they were ranked 16th in the nation. They have proved they can out coach the best in regular season. For the most part they do a good job in the playoffs. The pass play to get them to the 5yrd. line at the end of the game was a great call. Then they went completly numb. Nobody can argue the point that the three plays called at the 5 were even close to the right plays. Probably 75% of the fans there that night new that the game was lost because of really bumb play calling. That was the third playoff game DB has lost due to poor play calling, once they got beat by the weather, once because of turnovers and the rest of the times they got beat by better teams. Yes, this years team was good enough to win it all. These are the players everybody has been watching since they were 8th graders. Yeah, no superstars but they played very well together and they were very good as a "team". There were a lot of very good players on this years team. Exactly what it takes to win it all. Another thing that has hurt DB in the past is lack of a running game. At the beginning of the season there was a lot of excitment about the running backs. A transfer from Washington DC that had run for over 1,000yrds. as a Junior and Justin Sylvester a very quick and athletic Soph. that everyone was saying would be a star. To back them up DB had three fullbacks that could of started for any team in east tn. The running game was basically non existant all year. DB's top rusher averaged a mere 6 carries per game. You can beat the weaker teams in the area and Region 1 by passing most of the time. You cannot win in the playoffs without running the ball. This is proven ever single year. So to put it in simple terms....These are good coaches, but they will never do well in the playoffs until the start running the football and do a better job at play calling.

Well said.After 16 pages I am still amazed at the good comments.

Another thing, Coach Watson is a awsome defensive coach. I can't remember a playoff game where his defense did not give the offense a chance to win. No matter what gets thrown at him, he always makes the right adjustments to stop them. And when he makes mistakes he will admit it. Whatever they are paying him its not enough.

I agree 100%. He is awesome.

Watson is simply fantastic. I would put him up against anyone. The best I have ever seen at making adjustment in 'real time.' Hard to believe that we lost when we only gave up 13 points.

It is amazing we are still talking about this but that is a credit to the importance of D-B football to the identity of the region. That's right, the whole region roots for and against the Indians. Ask Central, Gate City, South, etc. what their greatest memories are - they are their few wins against D-B. (Don't bother asking THS, they have real State and National Championships).

In recent years, we all hoped (and/or hoped against that- ?) the Indians could run the table. The truth is they are not going to be able to. Their best chance was several years ago when they lost in the mud to Gerald Riggs and Chattanooga Red Bank (now routinely eliminated in the 4-A playoffs by Maryville).

This year was the best chance they were going to have for the foreseeable future. The various causes for the W-B defeat have been debated at length on this thread and in Kingsport for almost a month and I do not have anything to add. The simple fact is that 5-A and 4-A football in NET is not good enough to win a state title. That doesn't make it any less important during the season for those who play it and support it in some way. HS Football is still a great part of our local culture.

I suggest we all focus our energy this weekend rooting for Hampton in 1-A.