ROUND 3: Sycamore at Pearl-Cohn

Big Country

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Sycamore getting a huge upset win last week..... it's hard to put together two of these in a row. Unless PC has a really off night, I don't see them losing this one.

I've seen the Lohin kid play and he is a good player, no doubt about it. To say he's been the best player on the field each time he's played may be stretching it somewhat.

Sycamore is out for REVENGE in this rematch of two 4-3A teams. Both teams have won the first two, with Sycamore upsetting Meigs and Station Camp. Sycamore appears to be the underdog AGAIN in this one. Sycamore's offense, led by Lohin, Carrigan, and Holden, will continue to put the usual 28 points. The key for Sycamore winning this game is their defense, anchored by Vanderford and Cannon. Sycamore's defense doesn't need to let out in the third quarter like they did at Pearl Cohn earlier in the year. They have to stay solid all 4 quarters like they have been on their 5 five game winning streak. I believe if Sycamore stops the "Mason duo," then they have the W. Sycamore's special teams is also another major key in this game and they cannot have any mistakes. Sycamore's Seniors have worked hard the last 4 years and I hope they can get a win Friday and help the team advance to the 3A Semifinals. Halstead and staff will have this team ready for another UPSET Friday, I believe. There will be lots of fans from Sycamore there and good luck War Eagles.

Sycamore 28 Pearl Cohn 21 :D

With Sycamore getting a huge upset win last week..... it's hard to put together two of these in a row. Unless PC has a really off night, I don't see them losing this one.

I've seen the Lohin kid play and he is a good player, no doubt about it. To say he's been the best player on the field each time he's played may be stretching it somewhat.

I'm trying to think of a better athlete they've played, and that makes me think even more that what I'm saying is not a stretch. Austin Lohin has not gotten much media attention, because Pearl and Station Camp have been the headliners all year in this region. I've watched all but a couple of their games this year (including the Pearl Cohn game), so I've seen a lot of talented players. Randall Toney from Station could be as good an athlete. Toney has a step on him, but I don't believe he's as strong, Mason is quick and taller but same story with the strength, so there has not been a better combination that I have seen of speed, quickness, strength, coordination, and explosiveness on the field. If you watch him get in the open field or (and this is something no one talks about much with Austin) watch him hit somebody from his safety position...you will see this guy is a special athlete. If you've seen him play basketball you know he's got serious hops. He plays both ways 4 quarters all as the team's QB for a very good reason: He is a tremendous athlete. Of course, this is just opinion, and I haven't seen every team every game all season.

I'm a little surprised that these two are still in, but once one knocks the other out, I think the winner will run into better teams like Fulton. Pearl Cohn must shut down the gap up the middle, and Sycamore must slow down Pearl Cohns speed and takes advantage of their undisciplined play. It makes no difference to me...good luck to both teams. Have at it! :(

How's Fulton your clearcut pick in the other game when Knoxville Catholic beat the Falcons by 2TD's in their first meeting. Catholic will also be helped by the fact that they played and beat a decent team to prepare them for a "big game environment" last week in Austin East. I do believe that Fulton is the better team athletically but I'm just wondering why you believe they'll be making the trip to the midstate next week and playing a team that they're "supposedly better than" despite the fact that they haven't even proven to be able to beat KC yet :(

Hey John I love Austin Lohin as a football player as well. He is an excellent athlete who's an outstanding player and there's only one word to describe him. That word is WINNER!!!! When the going gets tough in a Sycamore game you'd better expect that #10 is going to get the football in his hands and make a great play to help the War Eagles win. With that having been said though the best PURE ATHLETE on the field in this football game has got to be Pearl-Cohn's Rashad Mason. Did you see the highlights of that long TD reception he had in the White House game last week???? It looked like Randy Moss was playing high school football :lol:

I don't see why GreenbrierCat2 can't seem to give either of these teams any credit. Both of these teams started their current win streaks with wins over what team????? THE GREENBRIER BOBCATS!!!! Sycamore beat them late on a play made by a guy I'll simply start referring to as #10. Pearl-Cohn beat them by shutting down the running game completely and running all over them at the same time. If you don't have anything positive to say about either of these two quarterfinalists then DON'T POST!!!! I can't recall Sycamore & Pearl-Cohn fans in the past getting on here while Greenbrier was playing in the state title game or in the state semifinals and simply clowning on their success. Show class and support your region representatives for the rest of the postseason and don't start saying how they're going to lose in next week's semifinal contest.

One of the main storylines to this game has to be the coaching matchup. Sycamore head coach Gary Halstead and Pearl-Cohn head coach Tony Brunetti have coached together in the past. I imagine that both of those fine football staffs are really enjoying this week (even though I am sure that neither of them would admit to tell you that same thing) :lol:

Another storyline has to be the play of both quarterbacks in this one. We are supposed to receive some rain throughout the course of this week and that means that ball security is going to play a major factor in this one. The quarterback that makes the most plays but at the same time doesn't turn the football over to the opposition will be the guy taking snaps in a state semifinal contest on Thanksgiving Weekend.

remember who won state last year?

Livingston Academy, went 5-5 during the season and put together five straight upsets to win out

How's Fulton your clearcut pick in the other game when Knoxville Catholic beat the Falcons by 2TD's in their first meeting. Catholic will also be helped by the fact that they played and beat a decent team to prepare them for a "big game environment" last week in Austin East. I do believe that Fulton is the better team athletically but I'm just wondering why you believe they'll be making the trip to the midstate next week and playing a team that they're "supposedly better than" despite the fact that they haven't even proven to be able to beat KC yet :lol:

Hey John I love Austin Lohin as a football player as well. He is an excellent athlete who's an outstanding player and there's only one word to describe him. That word is WINNER!!!! When the going gets tough in a Sycamore game you'd better expect that #10 is going to get the football in his hands and make a great play to help the War Eagles win. With that having been said though the best PURE ATHLETE on the field in this football game has got to be Pearl-Cohn's Rashad Mason. Did you see the highlights of that long TD reception he had in the White House game last week???? It looked like Randy Moss was playing high school football :)

I don't see why GreenbrierCat2 can't seem to give either of these teams any credit. Both of these teams started their current win streaks with wins over what team????? THE GREENBRIER BOBCATS!!!! Sycamore beat them late on a play made by a guy I'll simply start referring to as #10. Pearl-Cohn beat them by shutting down the running game completely and running all over them at the same time. If you don't have anything positive to say about either of these two quarterfinalists then DON'T POST!!!! I can't recall Sycamore & Pearl-Cohn fans in the past getting on here while Greenbrier was playing in the state title game or in the state semifinals and simply clowning on their success. Show class and support your region representatives for the rest of the postseason and don't start saying how they're going to lose in next week's semifinal contest.

And I don't see why BigCountry thinks his opinion is more important and classier than any one else's. Believe me, beating a team that is young and rebuilding, much less has numerous boys injured does not mean that they have a state championship team. Sycamore won by two, and Pearl Cohn shut us out, as well as beat Sycamore the first time around. With that, I'd say Pearl Cohn has the stronger team, but because they have so much discipline problems on the field with penalties, I don't see them making it to the end, neither do I see Sycamore getting there either. Fulton is convincingly a stronger team as they have shown for years. Dennis Rogan against Austin Lohin is not even a question, but I don't think we will see that matchup.

As for not posting...... :D You first. :)

Big Country, you're probably right about the big receiver for Pearl Cohn. I think he's probably got Lohin on pure athletic ability, although when I saw him play against Sycamore he raised my expectations so high watching him warm up...and then dropped 3 easy passes and got run down trying to run a reverse when I was expecting to see another gear. Still, that kid is a physical specimine, and a great athlete at 6'5"-6'6" and 225-230 lbs.