Football Stadiums

VolunteerGeneral

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah..I asked about Johnnie Hale a couple of years ago and was surprised to hear it was a lady. It`s always neat to learn a little history and remember those special people. Someone from Milan linked a website at that time that had a great story about her. I can`t find it now, but it would be nice if someone can link it again.

http://www.milanalumni.org/missjohnny.htm

I looked up the story about Ms. Johnnie. It is a wonderful story and i encourage everyone, especially any Milan fan, to read it. It is kind of long however, so for those of you who aren't as interested in the details, here is the gist of it.

"In addition to instigating the beginning of a football team, she picked the school colors (Purple and White), set the first school "Fight-Song" to music, and--if I am not mistaken--she helped to write the school Alma Mater. And, there is no way to count the number of times that she was invited to be the guest speaker at school pep rallies, sports banquets, and other functions in the school and community. (There are countless photographs of Miss Johnnie speaking at these events.)

There is no way to know how many young persons Miss Johnnie encouraged to participate in sports. Bill Lowery writes: "I have so many fond memories of Miss Johnnie. She was always on my case because I played baseball but not football. So, I finally went out for football and played during my senior year."

Her love and support of the school sports program did not go unnoticed. Because she embodied the "spirit" of Milan High School, and, because of the community-wide appreciation for her love of the school, in 1963 the Milan city leaders named the football stadium in her honor"

Edited by BulldawgDynasty

I think that's a good idea. How did every team get their stadium name? I read the article about Johnnie Hale and I was much impressed. I'm sure there are lots of good stories that fans could share. We were talking about how Johnnie Hale stadium looks now with the new dressing rooms/restrooms and concessions stand. Always a great fan base and atmosphere.

For the old timers in the area, it's not unusual that this topic would come down to two stadiums: Paul Ward Stadium in Huntingdon and Johnnie Hale Stadium in Milan.

I played against 4 of Paul Ward's teams in the early 60's (we only won 1 of those games) and he is a legend around here. I also played a couple of games at Johnnie Hale Stadium back then (if that is what it was called then??)

IMHO, the closest thing to legendary status to Paul Ward, coached at Johnnie Hale Stadium and that was John Tucker!!! It's hard to grasp the history of playing in those two places I don't care where you are from!! But, I've been there and done that and proud of it (well, I played on Pudor Field in H-town but, been to many games at Paul Ward Stadium).

Edited by duckman38201

Since this seems like a true football fan's thread.........................................

Camden's old high school was one block south of the court square. Part of the old building remains. When the new high school was built (currently the Camden Jr. High School) from 1958-60, there was much discussion as to whether to build a football stadium at the new high school or continue playing football at the city park field (currently the CHS baseball field). Several of the county commissioners were against spending additional money to build a new stadium and field simply because they didn't think the money should be used for football. The vote was close. It went something like this: There were 12 for and 12 against prior to the vote. A group of parents and businessmen got together and went to one of the county board members who was against the vote, and told him that they were really disappointed that he was against the motion because they had wanted to name the field after him. He switched his vote in favor of the field. The new field was leveled by the bulldozers and a concrete structure was built for seating. The total cost was $20,000. The field was named "Wright Field" after the county commissioner who voted on the 13-11 winning side of the motion. The group of parents started calling themselves the Camden Quarterback Club, and have supported the Lions ever since.

*****I can remember when Paul Ward was the head coach at Huntingdon. He was one of the greatest high school coaches I have ever seen. Now days, some of the colleges would probably try to hire a coach like him.

Since this seems like a true football fan's thread.........................................

Camden's old high school was one block south of the court square. Part of the old building remains. When the new high school was built (currently the Camden Jr. High School) from 1958-60, there was much discussion as to whether to build a football stadium at the new high school or continue playing football at the city park field (currently the CHS baseball field). Several of the county commissioners were against spending additional money to build a new stadium and field simply because they didn't think the money should be used for football. The vote was close. It went something like this: There were 12 for and 12 against prior to the vote. A group of parents and businessmen got together and went to one of the county board members who was against the vote, and told him that they were really disappointed that he was against the motion because they had wanted to name the field after him. He switched his vote in favor of the field. The new field was leveled by the bulldozers and a concrete structure was built for seating. The total cost was $20,000. The field was named "Wright Field" after the county commissioner who voted on the 13-11 winning side of the motion. The group of parents started calling themselves the Camden Quarterback Club, and have supported the Lions ever since.

*****I can remember when Paul Ward was the head coach at Huntingdon. He was one of the greatest high school coaches I have ever seen. Now days, some of the colleges would probably try to hire a coach like him.

Now days you would have to donate money to get something named after you. That is a good story about Camden.

I was lobbying pretty hard for more visitor side bleachers until they switched us to the middle TN region. We really have enough visitor seating until Huntingdon or McKenzie comes to town. Riverside usually brings quite a few too. None of the middle TN schools bring enough people to warrent an addition. Eventually, if they ever get us back in the region where we belong (with Huntingdon and others) I would like to see Camden build additional visitor seating out of concrete and move the current visitor (bleacher stands) to either end zone for the bands. There have been a lot of good improvements with the field and stadium over the past two head coaches - Fisher and Ward.

Volunteer General.. You're obiviously not a native of West Tennessee or you're 25 years old. Paul Ward coached the Mustangs for 25 years and had an all time record or 169 and 62, with a winning % of 71%. He had 3 undefeated teams and 7 teams that had only one loss.. He retired from coaching in 1975 after the heartbreaking loss to Bishop Byrne 15-14 in a state playoff game. We call that game the "Mouthpiece Game" where Bishop Byrne missed the extra point and the ref calls a penalty on us for not having a mouthpiece in. They moved the ball half the distance to the goal for the 2 pt. conversion and we lose. He continued as Superintendent of HHS system for several years and helped mold many boys into men by his leadership. He still attends practice to watch the boys and attends most of the games. He's still revered here in Huntingdon.

i remember that game. we all thought it was funny at the time(WE WERE JUST KIDS) but it wasn't because it cost a great coach a gold ball. always great memories when you see the names PAUL WARD and JOHN TUCKER on a thread.