Football Stadiums

VolunteerGeneral

I was at Huntingdon this week doing some work on the new addition at the school. I saw the stadium and got to wondering who Paul Ward is/was. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks VG

EDIT....I`ve been asked to change the title of this thread and make it inclusive of all stadiums.So if your stadium is named after someone then give us a history lesson about that person.

Thanks VG

Edited by VolunteerGeneral

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Volunteer General.. You're obiviously not a native of West Tennessee or you're 25 years old. Paul Ward coached the Mustangs for 25 years and had an all time record or 169 and 62, with a winning % of 71%. He had 3 undefeated teams and 7 teams that had only one loss.. He retired from coaching in 1975 after the heartbreaking loss to Bishop Byrne 15-14 in a state playoff game. We call that game the "Mouthpiece Game" where Bishop Byrne missed the extra point and the ref calls a penalty on us for not having a mouthpiece in. They moved the ball half the distance to the goal for the 2 pt. conversion and we lose. He continued as Superintendent of HHS system for several years and helped mold many boys into men by his leadership. He still attends practice to watch the boys and attends most of the games. He's still revered here in Huntingdon. Edited by Mr. Mustang

Always an interesting night when you play at Paul Ward Stadium. You can bet on a hard fought game with the home team every time. I know Mr. Ward is well respected but I have to admit I didn't know about the mouthpiece thing until I read it a few minutes ago. WOW!!!

Not to mention they have a good concession stand!!!!

Had to throw that in there Shelley :lol:

A lot of people dont know it but johnnie hale was a woman.

Yeah..I asked about Johnnie Hale a couple of years ago and was surprised to hear it was a lady. It`s always neat to learn a little history and remember those special people. Someone from Milan linked a website at that time that had a great story about her. I can`t find it now, but it would be nice if someone can link it again.

Volunteer General.. You're obiviously not a native of West Tennessee or you're 25 years old. Paul Ward coached the Mustangs for 25 years and had an all time record or 169 and 62, with a winning % of 71%. He had 3 undefeated teams and 7 teams that had only one loss.. He retired from coaching in 1975 after the heartbreaking loss to Bishop Byrne 15-14 in a state playoff game. We call that game the "Mouthpiece Game" where Bishop Byrne missed the extra point and the ref calls a penalty on us for not having a mouthpiece in. They moved the ball half the distance to the goal for the 2 pt. conversion and we lose. He continued as Superintendent of HHS system for several years and helped mold many boys into men by his leadership. He still attends practice to watch the boys and attends most of the games. He's still revered here in Huntingdon.

I`m not new to West TN. Been here though most of my life. Since 75 in Jackson so he`s a little before my time I guess. But thanks for the info. Interesting story about the BB game.

Yeah..I asked about Johnnie Hale a couple of years ago and was surprised to hear it was a lady. It`s always neat to learn a little history and remember those special people. Someone from Milan linked a website at that time that had a great story about her. I can`t find it now, but it would be nice if someone can link it again.

Bulldog Fan #2... Huntingdon had an awesome team that year. We were undefeated going into the Bishop Byrne game with shutouts against Milan,Chester County, Northside and Southside. That was when the playoffs had 3 classifications and we played up to AA ball. No doubt had we been in A ball where we were supposed to be playing we would have waltzed through to a Championship. The next year our only regular season loss was to Milan in the first game of the year 14-6 and we miss out on the playoffs and go to Collierville in the Charity Bowl and got hammered by the home team.

Edited by Mr. Mustang

Volunteer General.. You're obiviously not a native of West Tennessee or you're 25 years old. Paul Ward coached the Mustangs for 25 years and had an all time record or 169 and 62, with a winning % of 71%. He had 3 undefeated teams and 7 teams that had only one loss.. He retired from coaching in 1975 after the heartbreaking loss to Bishop Byrne 15-14 in a state playoff game. We call that game the "Mouthpiece Game" where Bishop Byrne missed the extra point and the ref calls a penalty on us for not having a mouthpiece in. They moved the ball half the distance to the goal for the 2 pt. conversion and we lose. He continued as Superintendent of HHS system for several years and helped mold many boys into men by his leadership. He still attends practice to watch the boys and attends most of the games. He's still revered here in Huntingdon.

:)B):thumb: VG waved bye to 25 a long time ago. Actually, he could be classified as an "Old Timer" too. B)