Union City Boys Basketball - Look Out All!

uctfan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chipper..I was waiting on Lake Co 007 to reply to this post..but since this is Thansgiving 007 may be feasting..But..I did notice that you said a team will good post players would hurt U.C...Are you talking about players like Springer and Geanes,with long arms or just monsters down low..Springer and Geanes will have the speed to shoot outside or take it to the hole..As far as your press and ball handling..Lake Co is that one team that has a true guard that can handle the ball...U.C. has been impressive so far...I saw the Central score compared with Lake Co's..But Lake Co actually trailed in that game 12-10 in the first quarter...After the football players came in,gradually built a lead..I believe it was 22 at one time..without Springer..And Central had Blake Davis,who made several 3's, on the floor against Lake Co...plus helped Central in handling the ball..Word I have is that he didn't play against U.C....So..if you compare the scores..with Springer not playing for Lake Co and Blake not playing against U.C....I'll just say ..I like our chances!

Springer and Geanes are not post players.After Sep get tired u are n major trouble against our pressure.We have went against a Ricky Taylor 6'3,Harrison Jones 6'5,Jeremy Rhodes 6'5,Chris Reeves 6'3 and Haywood has 2 guards that are better than Lake Co's guards.We have beat Haywood and Bolivar.Im not comparing the 2 scores but if Obion would have playd with the intensity they playd against UC,the Lake Co Obion score would have been a lot closer.

How much will the loss of Weidle have an effect on this team?

Not that much. Union City has more to pass to and more players who can step up and take the shot. They will have their ups and downs but when it comes to the big games Union City and the Sisco Kid will be in HIGH gear. They will make a good team that controls the ball turn it over more. They ( Union City Players ) are really in-your-face type defense and playes the ENTIRE game as it might be the teams last.

Union City has no limits. They play hard, listen to their coach and play what wins games....... in your face.... D E F E N S E !! D E F E N S E !!!!!

Springer and Geanes are not post players.After Sep get tired u are n major trouble against our pressure.We have went against a Ricky Taylor 6'3,Harrison Jones 6'5,Jeremy Rhodes 6'5,Chris Reeves 6'3 and Haywood has 2 guards that are better than Lake Co's guards.We have beat Haywood and Bolivar.Im not comparing the 2 scores but if Obion would have playd with the intensity they playd against UC,the Lake Co Obion score would have been a lot closer.

Sep doesn't know what tired is!

Bigster...On another thread you stated that Union City hasn't done anything yet by beating Haywood and Bolivar,both at Bolivar and Obion Central....Now Bigster,you are a very knowledgable follower of high school sports here in West Tennessee,that comment was a little naive wasn't it??...Now,I know Union City is not high on your list of favorite teams,but come on....A single A school beating two tradition rich AA programs way away from home,probably with a handful of fans backing them??..Give the defending champions a little more respect than that....

For folks that want to view those comments,go to the Halls-West Carroll thread...I responded to those comments on this thread because UC-LC doesn't belong on that thread... :D

Union City plays another AA opponent tonite on a neutral floor when they face off against Covington.I'll try to give updates on the game....Bigster,I know Covington isn't Brighton or Amorel,Ark or a tournament in Marion,Ill,but they are a good opponent....

Halftime....

Union City-41

Covington-24

Union City jumped on Covington midway thru the 1st qtr breaking open a 6 all tie into a 26-8 lead...The biggest lead of the first half for the Tornadoes was a 25 point 38-13 lead before Covington went on a mini run with 9 straight to pull within 38-22..Union City's defense has caused the Chargers problems all nite...

Union City Leading Scorers....

J.Simpson-14pts

R.Simpson-8pts

A.Coby-6pts

C.Allen-6pts

Covington Leading Scorers.....

M.Weaver-9pts

K.Wiseman-6pts

Edited by backinthaoc

Final Score...

Union City-81

Covington-55

Union City Leading Scorers.....

J.Simpson-21pts

MJ Brown-17pts

C.Allen-13pts

R.Simpson-13pts

A.Coby-9pts

Covington Leading Scorers.....

M.Weaver-18pts

D.Brown-13pts

K.Wiseman-10pts

Union City plays two big District 14A games next week.....Tuesday nite @ Halls then Humboldt visits Union City for an early showdown on Friday nite...Humboldt defeated the state champions three out of four times last year and were poised to play for a fifth time before Humboldt lost in the state semi-finals to Grace....Union City has won their 8th straight game dating back to last year...Union City followed a night where they hit 18 three point shots with 12 more three pointers tonite...They outrebounded the Chargers and forced them into over 24 turnovers which is what the Tornado defense is averaging on the season...

Edited by backinthaoc

Bigster...On another thread you stated that Union City hasn't done anything yet by beating Haywood and Bolivar,both at Bolivar and Obion Central....Now Bigster,you are a very knowledgable follower of high school sports here in West Tennessee,that comment was a little naive wasn't it??...Now,I know Union City is not high on your list of favorite teams,but come on....A single A school beating two tradition rich AA programs way away from home,probably with a handful of fans backing them??..Give the defending champions a little more respect than that....

For folks that want to view those comments,go to the Halls-West Carroll thread...I responded to those comments on this thread because UC-LC doesn't belong on that thread... :thumb:

Union City plays another AA opponent tonite on a neutral floor when they face off against Covington.I'll try to give updates on the game....Bigster,I know Covington isn't Brighton or Amorel,Ark or a tournament in Marion,Ill,but they are a good opponent....

I didn't know U.C. beat Central at Central..I thought Central's first game in the new gym was going to be against Gosnell..If you will notice in a lot of my posts..I said I may have underestimated U.C. and that they would be a challenge for the top spot with Lake Co and Humboldt...It wouldn't surprise me to see Lake Co lose to both Humboldt and U.C. the first time we play..Not saying that will happen..But ..I'll see about a month from now after the football players get in the flow..As far as beating Bolivar..that's usually hard for any team..but evidently this Bolivar team isn't the calibre of past Bolivar teams..As for Central...they are still struggling and U.C. beat them without Blake Davis..Sure..it wouldn't have mattered if he played as far as U.C. would have still won..but He was one of their best shooters as far as I could tell..Central will get better as the season goes along...As far as U.C. not being on my favorites list..I'm going to admit something to you...U.C. is kind of a gauge to see where we are at..Kind of like Duke and North Carolina...It used to be the same twenty plus years ago in football..Lake Co was a powerhouse back then and if we beat U.C..I felt like we could win the State Championship..After U.C. and Lake Co stopped playing..it got to be E.C.S. in football...So..Lake Co hasn't really had a long history as far as boys basketball..except for the past 10 years starting with James Avery,Harold Hughes and Co..But..I did play on a team that was pretty loaded with the Belk boys,Charles Rice,Jimmy Ray Robinson and Co...That team had a shootout with Union City and Willie Slayton..I remember Greg Davis..The team with Stanley Caldwell and Bonds..I use to go to U.C. a lot to stay with an aunt and played a lot of games in Chip King's back yard,even though he probably doesn't know me..So..it' really not that I dislike U.C...I just hate losing to them!But...it's really respect..Now I can go back to trash talking a little..lol

Edited by mrbigster