Fulton at Pearl-Cohn

Big Country

trust me when i say john henderson and santonio beard weren't the only two people on that team. see the thing is that's all everyone every talked about were those two players and they were great players but we were a TEAM that was on a mission. everyone talks about how they aren't talented like we were in 96 and 97. this kids have some of the biggest Hearts i have seen. to lose all they guys that they lost last year and to be in the position that they r in now i never would have thought it. point i'm trying to make is, it takes a team effort and that's what you are going to get friday night.

I agree 1 or 2 players don't make a team but I'm sure they played a key role in the success that PC had those 2 years not only by their play but by their leadership as well. Losing that many players from last year and being in this position this year is really a great accomplishment. That speaks well of the character that your kids have and the coaching staff as well. Good Luck this will be a hard fought game. May the best team win and hope that there are no injuries.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, so everybody except big country think where going to lose??? Thats real we will see friday! o yeah does fulton have a band?? Somebody let me know.

I also think you guys have a very good shot to win this game. You have the athletes and playmakers, they just have to take care of the football, and maybe force them into a couple of mistakes. I think an underrated part of Pearl Cohn is their secondary. They were the one team that really shut down Sycamore's passing game, and they did it two games. I have doubts that Fulton will be able to get much through the air against Pearl's secondary because they are so quick and BIG, so they will really have to run the ball well to win. "Most" of Region 4-3A is definitely pulling for you guys, so go make us proud.

Confidence!!!! PC wasn't the underdogs that year against Maryville NO WAY!!! They should have been unbeaten (or should I say you should have been unbeaten star LB of that particular team) in '97. A blown lead in the MBA game prevented that from happening but as I told athomp54 a few weeks back you guys never felt as if you were going to lose after that. You went unscored upon throughout the playoffs that year against Shelbyville, Whites Creek, Springfield, & Dyersburg (who you may have been underdogs against since they were unbeaten). Maryville hasn't lost a title game that they've played in since that year BUT you guys were clearly better than them in 1997. That's how it goes when your team consists of the likes of Henderson, Beard, Fitzgerald, Whitehead, Perry, Slay, Pratt, Holmes, Gates, Washington, Ridley, Lawless, Martin, etc.

I was working with the Dyersburg team when we played Pearl-Cohn in the semifinals. That was the most talented high school team we have ever faced, being slightly better than the Melrose team we saw 3-4 years later. We watched John Henderson loaf through half the plays in regular season games (watched on film) and believed we had a chance. Washington was the guy on that team who really amazed me--320 pounds and he could pull and lead. We hung in 7-0 behind until nearly halftime, when Henderson sacked our QB, took the ball away from him, and ran 40 yards to score. Santonio Beard was a load to tackle and the whole team was too good for high school.

I was working with the Dyersburg team when we played Pearl-Cohn in the semifinals. That was the most talented high school team we have ever faced, being slightly better than the Melrose team we saw 3-4 years later. We watched John Henderson loaf through half the plays in regular season games (watched on film) and believed we had a chance. Washington was the guy on that team who really amazed me--320 pounds and he could pull and lead. We hung in 7-0 behind until nearly halftime, when Henderson sacked our QB, took the ball away from him, and ran 40 yards to score. Santonio Beard was a load to tackle and the whole team was too good for high school.

What was the final to that game???? Something like 43-0 or 47-0???? Pearl-Cohn shutout their other playoff foes that year by counts of 42-0 (Shelbyville), 35-0 (Whites Creek), & 28-0 (Springfield). Albert Washington (#77) was who I was most impressed with from that team as well. He wasn't nicknamed "Pancake" for no reason. I also really liked Joey Martin (#64). Statistically about John Henderson that year you are absolutely right. He posted much better defensive numbers in terms of sacks and tackles as a junior than he did as a senior. Those stats can be found if you go to THE NFL's WEBSITE and click on the Jacksonville Jaguars team logo. You can look at his stats throughout high school and college when he won the "Outland Trophy" for being the best interior lineman in the country.

What was the final to that game???? Something like 43-0 or 47-0???? Pearl-Cohn shutout their other playoff foes that year by counts of 42-0 (Shelbyville), 35-0 (Whites Creek), & 28-0 (Springfield). Albert Washington (#77) was who I was most impressed with from that team as well. He wasn't nicknamed "Pancake" for no reason. I also really liked Joey Martin (#64). Statistically about John Henderson that year you are absolutely right. He posted much better defensive numbers in terms of sacks and tackles as a junior than he did as a senior. Those stats can be found if you go to THE NFL's WEBSITE and click on the Jacksonville Jaguars team logo. You can look at his stats throughout high school and college when he won the "Outland Trophy" for being the best interior lineman in the country.

Big Country, the final was 40-0..ive never seen nor probably never will see a team so dominant..Thieery was Stud too as opposite defensive end..Henderson and Thieery completely squashed the Trojan O-Line all nite..Beard was a delight to watch as he danced,jig-jagged,side-stepped the Trojans defence leaving them sprawled all over the field..Big John did not even come on to the field Until game time..he must have warmed up in the locker room..What A Sight To See ... A Giant among the young men of Troy..Nowhere to expose our O with those two Defensive men..Nuff said. GO FIREBIRDS :) .GO TROJANS :thumb: ..Hope We meet yall at the finals for another go at it !! :)

Big Country, the final was 40-0..ive never seen nor probably never will see a team so dominant..Thieery was Stud too as opposite defensive end..Henderson and Thieery completely squashed the Trojan O-Line all nite..Beard was a delight to watch as he danced,jig-jagged,side-stepped the Trojans defence leaving them sprawled all over the field..Big John did not even come on to the field Until game time..he must have warmed up in the locker room..What A Sight To See ... A Giant among the young men of Troy..Nowhere to expose our O with those two Defensive men..Nuff said. GO FIREBIRDS :) .GO TROJANS :thumb: ..Hope We meet yall at the finals for another go at it !! :)

He always warmed up in the lockerroom. If you saw that behind the scenes special at how he actually gets prepared for games then you'd know why. Someone could get arrested doing that to a high school kid out in public :)

Well I was there pulling for Sycamore last week as well but that doesn't mean that I dislike Pearl-Cohn altogether. I like all of the teams in the region for various reasons. I do not get your dislike for PC but hey like you say IT'S YOUR OPINION!!! You go and root for Fulton all you like this week. I'll be there pulling hard for the Region 4-3A team (Pearl-Cohn) to advance to the title game.

I agree totally. I don't get the reasoning, or lack there of, of people rooting against their OWN region. What kind of sense does that make? So you want your team to look even worse? You see it in college football all the time, even in the SEC. Hey, I can't stand Alabama or Florida, but I definitely want them to win their bowl games and out-of-conference games so the SEC looks good. When your conference looks good, you look good. So, obviously, I'm pulling for PC in this one, and I'm sure the Knox Catholic fans are pulling hard for Fulton.

I agree totally. I don't get the reasoning, or lack there of, of people rooting against their OWN region. What kind of sense does that make? So you want your team to look even worse? You see it in college football all the time, even in the SEC. Hey, I can't stand Alabama or Florida, but I definitely want them to win their bowl games and out-of-conference games so the SEC looks good. When your conference looks good, you look good. So, obviously, I'm pulling for PC in this one, and I'm sure the Knox Catholic fans are pulling hard for Fulton.

Exactly! I am a huge Notre Dame fan and I am glad to see teams that were on their schedule like Penn State, Purdue, Michigan (though I now wish they could have lost to Ball State), UCLA, Georgia Tech, & Navy are all bowl bound over the holidays. Makes the schedule look tough and it makes the guys look like they beat quality foes along the way. Like in Tennessee's case also. The SEC is going to send 9 TEAMS to bowl games this year which is truly amazing (Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, Auburn, Arkansas, LSU, & Alabama).

It's not an official rule but it is kind of a hidden rule that Region 2-3A teams should pull for Fulton this week and Region 4-3A teams should pull for Pearl-Cohn. Of course that's just my opinion and with that in mind I'll be there pulling for Pearl-Cohn in person this week (I'll also be tuning in to the David Lipscomb game and pulling hard for the Mustangs to beat Dyersburg). I'm a midstate man and I want every midstate team out there to advance and represent the area well :thumb: