The Ultimate Solution

larry

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't have to be great athletes, just athletes. Are you telling me there aren't more athletes to go around, per school, in Nashville or Jackson than there is in Perry County or Hampton?

There is nothing wrong with privates having this advantage but it IS an advantage.

You still haven't answered why a merit system can't apply to all of us together Larry. And how does that make me biased against small publics? I listed about 8 that I regularly root for...I noticed you listed 0 privates.

Finally, there is NO advantage to being in a metro area for the privates IF they don't recruit the cream...if they do then there is an advantage. So do you think they recruit? Be honest...

Just a question-- Could schools like Maryville, Fulton, Ravenwood, and Alcoa play in DII if they wanted too? I think they would be allowed to and I could see the making of a super conference that would get national attention and produce numerous prospects every year. This would be great! I think any public school would be allowed to move up to DII.

Does anyone know?

You still haven't answered why a merit system can't apply to all of us together Larry. And how does that make me biased against small publics? I listed about 8 that I regularly root for...I noticed you listed 0 privates.

Finally, there is NO advantage to being in a metro area for the privates IF they don't recruit the cream...if they do then there is an advantage. So do you think they recruit? Be honest...

The reason he doesn't answer is because the advantages of his small public would even out. I assume larry is from a place such as Trousdale, Alcoa, or South Pitt where they enjoy strong teams (privates) that he perceives as roadblocks. A merit system would even out any advantage his school has seen over the last few years (or longer). For people like Larry, any solution that alters HIS teams advantages is frowned upon ... but OK if it moves others out of the way. :D

Larry,

What would be wrong with using the "MERIT SYSTEM" for all schools and placing everyone back together? By using that system everyone would be on a level playing field and politics would be eliminated from everything. No one school (public or private) would have an advantage. Use the system, place everyone back together in four classifications and the attendance figures will begin to rise again because a state championship will be more valuable and cherished. Everyone knows that the Tennessee state championships have been watered down.

JMO, some schools and communities will fight the use of the "MERIT SYSTEM" because they political clout within the TSSAA will evaporate. This is nothing more than a turf war between adults/communities trying their best to receive some type of athletic advantage over all of the other schools.

Larry,

What would be wrong with using the "MERIT SYSTEM" for all schools and placing everyone back together? By using that system everyone would be on a level playing field and politics would be eliminated from everything. No one school (public or private) would have an advantage. Use the system, place everyone back together in four classifications and the attendance figures will begin to rise again because a state championship will be more valuable and cherished. Everyone knows that the Tennessee state championships have been watered down.

JMO, some schools and communities will fight the use of the "MERIT SYSTEM" because they political clout within the TSSAA will evaporate. This is nothing more than a turf war between adults/communities trying their best to receive some type of athletic advantage over all of the other schools.

The merit system will not work on that large a scale. You wouldn't like it if it did. You complain about the multiplier even though 4 of the 12 teams in the A-AAA semis are private. Privates don't make up anywhere close to 33% of the schools in those classes. So, why not tweak the system we have now by raising the multiplier to a more effective level? That would have merit.

The reason he doesn't answer is because the advantages of his small public would even out. I assume larry is from a place such as Trousdale, Alcoa, or South Pitt where they enjoy strong teams (privates) that he perceives as roadblocks. A merit system would even out any advantage his school has seen over the last few years (or longer). For people like Larry, any solution that alters HIS teams advantages is frowned upon ... but OK if it moves others out of the way. :lol:

Looks like to me a merit system would have GP in 5A, DL in 4A, and FCS in 3A along with Jackson Christian. The crying from you would be of sonic proportion.

The merit system will not work on that large a scale. You wouldn't like it if it did. You complain about the multiplier even though 4 of the 12 teams in the A-AAA semis are private. Privates don't make up anywhere close to 33% of the schools in those classes. So, why not tweak the system we have now by raising the multiplier to a more effective level? That would have merit.

Can you explain the disproportionate championships won by public schools like Alcoa, Maryville, Melrose, Hillsboro, Riverdale, and Trousdale? Why is their domination not in question? :lol:

Looks like to me a merit system would have GP in 5A, DL in 4A, and FCS in 3A along with Jackson Christian. The crying from you would be of sonic proportion.

Give the "MERIT SYSTEM" a chance and see who is crying!!!! It would be fair for everyone which is good unless you want to control the situation and wish not to be fair.

Edited by cbg

Ohio is a MUCH more populated state with a richer high school football history than TN and it works more the fine. :lol: