The Ultimate Solution

larry

"Also, because the public association didn't join with the privates in the 70s the small publics in Texas have been decimated in the last 30 years. In 1a they play 8 man ball. In 2a there is an 8 man and an 11 man league that schools can choose from. Why? Because as a seperate association the publics don't have any way to stop the privates from skimming the cream off the small schools...so they have."

that isnt actually very accurate. they play 8 man ball because they have a small population spread over a wide area out in the middle of nowhere. there isnt any way to field larger teams, there arent enough kids. they have played that way since i was a youth. they also play(ed) 8-man (maybe even still 6-man) ball out in the other plains states all the way up to montana. private schools have not had any important role in that area for the same reason. there are not enough kids.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ultimate solution would be shut up and do what is right for the kids and let "them" compete and have fun. And the grown ups with all their baggage and hangups just leave them alone instead of legislating championships.

The arrogance of public school people just drip from these pages, the arrogance that you have right to each and every kid, public schools DO NOT have a monopoly on every kid, thank God America is a free country where parents can choose to send their kids, those very same parents that still support public schools with their tax dollars, and by sending their kid to a private or church school it actually frees up resources for the kids in public school.

So do the right thing and put DI and DII back together and quit watering down Tennessee atletics.

Amen. Brilliant. It's fascinating to see the change in attitudes over the years. In the mid '60's, arguably the heyday of MBA football (32-0-1 from '66-'68), MBA had teams clamoring to get on their schedule. The same was true through the '70's. My freshman coach showed us thirty letters from schools hoping to get one of the two non-division games we would schedule. In the same period, Nick Coutras at Overton seemed delighted that his district schedule included both MBA and Ryan. The coaches relished a good challenge.

One wonders how a young man from a top public school program feels if he absorbs the unspoken message that his coaches are afraid to let him play a game of record against MBA or BA.

CoachT,

You are certainly entitled to voice your opinion. I would never take a post voicing your opinion as a sign of disrespect. Please continue to post your opinions. There are guys on here like Antwan, ELA, lazarus, StanTrott, etc. who I usually don't agree with but I respect their opinions.

Is the merit system up for a vote? I assume the answer is "No". Why? I think the answer is that an initiative like this needs a strong proponent who can rally support at the TSSAA Board of Control and Legislative Council level. My guess would be that administrators across the state would not vote in favor of a merit system.

Again, JMHO. I am often wrong but rarely without an opinion. :D

I would have to hire someone just to keep up with the classifications from year-to-year. It is hard enough once every four years. Guess I would manage, though.

Coacht,

Why are so many people against the "MERIT SYSTEM" that has worked well in other states? Do the people in Tennessee feel that they have superior brain power and just want to show the world how smart they are by inventing a new system that has never been proven to work? Could it be that the TSSAA Board of Control is scared of change like most people in the world so they are going to try and stick their head in the sand and hope that the problems go away?

I mean no disrespect but I shouldn't have posted here. I was simply making a one-time general comment about all the effort that would have to be put into this. I have no desire to debate the issue and I know that many fans think it would be well worth the effort. Good luck.

Honestly ... I think we would all greatly benefit from your opinion. You have a unique perspective given that you run one of the nicest sports forums (let alone high school) around and your former experience coaching and teaching youngins'.

Honestly ... I think we would all greatly benefit from your opinion. You have a unique perspective given that you run one of the nicest sports forums (let alone high school) around and your former experience coaching and teaching youngins'.

I can not be unbiased on this topic. I have coached in public schools since 1974 and have never been afraid to play or coach against anyone. When someone throws out a suggestion that I, by association, am afraid of anyone my objectivity goes out the window. Superiority attitudes, from anyone on either side, do not sit well with me.

I don't think Metro coaches would have a problem playing

against MBA and Coach Owen. Many things have happened

since the sixties, inside and outside of private schools to

change the landscape of high school football.

Amen. Brilliant. It's fascinating to see the change in attitudes over the years. In the mid '60's, arguably the heyday of MBA football (32-0-1 from '66-'68), MBA had teams clamoring to get on their schedule. The same was true through the '70's. My freshman coach showed us thirty letters from schools hoping to get one of the two non-division games we would schedule. In the same period, Nick Coutras at Overton seemed delighted that his district schedule included both MBA and Ryan. The coaches relished a good challenge.

One wonders how a young man from a top public school program feels if he absorbs the unspoken message that his coaches are afraid to let him play a game of record against MBA or BA.

CoachT,

You are certainly entitled to voice your opinion. I would never take a post voicing your opinion as a sign of disrespect. Please continue to post your opinions. There are guys on here like Antwan, ELA, lazarus, StanTrott, etc. who I usually don't agree with but I respect their opinions.

Is the merit system up for a vote? I assume the answer is "No". Why? I think the answer is that an initiative like this needs a strong proponent who can rally support at the TSSAA Board of Control and Legislative Council level. My guess would be that administrators across the state would not vote in favor of a merit system.

Again, JMHO. I am often wrong but rarely without an opinion. :lol:

Second!