Goodpasture vs. Alcoa

GHSFAN07

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the classy, humble post. Sure am glad it's you having to say that instead of me! :lol:

Goodpasture had improved, we could tell that. They did a good job holding Shivy to just under 200, but they forgot about Lanxter & Sommer. Tate did a good job coming in and being a decoy to remind GP that he was there, too. Just too many weapons, that's what it boils down to.

I asked this question earlier: Are you sure your scales aren't broken over there? I didn't think your linemen looked like 250+, unless they carry their weight extremely well!

Congratulations to GP for getting the championships again, not just happy to be there, but being true contenders.

You guys deserve it for doing something no one else in the 2A division could do and that is just flat out beat us. I thought early on in the game that our OL was dominating your DL and drove all the way down the field and settled for a FG right before half. Thought we should have gone for TD but I am not the coach but everybody in the stands thought the same thing. We also thought that the other 2 or 3 times Goodpasture did the same thing, they should have kept running up the middle because of its success. It was nice to have a stable of running backs this year but in the end the coach went to their Seniors to contend for this game. We will be fine next year with our RB but we will have to wait and see how the rest of the Cougars Jell together. I think giving up the 3 or 4 big throws for TD's are what killed us because Shivey only got off one big run and that was late in the game.

So you said we haved improved from last year, are we the best team you guys faced in 2A this year?

You QB has got an arm. I didn't think he would be able to run too much on us but I had no idea he had that type of arm therefore revealing our only weakness, pass coverage. Both teams hit hard because they were laying it all on the line and that was great to see. Hope to see you guys next year but who knows, maybe both of us will not make it. Milan and Humboldt have really good teams out west. Smith County and Westmoreland really improved but Tyner would seem to be your competition for next season. CPA will be our competition here in middle TN.

Yes, I think some of the lineman weighed a little bit less than the program suggested but probably not by much. I thought Alcoa's DL looked very small compared to last year. Should have been a better game but this year it belongs to Alcoa and who knows what the future will bring.

I will be back there next season pulling for my son and his team no matter how things turn out but hopefully they will be back to the final two teams just like this year.

You guys deserve it for doing something no one else in the 2A division could do and that is just flat out beat us. I thought early on in the game that our OL was dominating your DL and drove all the way down the field and settled for a FG right before half. Thought we should have gone for TD but I am not the coach but everybody in the stands thought the same thing. We also thought that the other 2 or 3 times Goodpasture did the same thing, they should have kept running up the middle because of its success. It was nice to have a stable of running backs this year but in the end the coach went to their Seniors to contend for this game. We will be fine next year with our RB but we will have to wait and see how the rest of the Cougars Jell together. I think giving up the 3 or 4 big throws for TD's are what killed us because Shivey only got off one big run and that was late in the game.

So you said we haved improved from last year, are we the best team you guys faced in 2A this year?

You QB has got an arm. I didn't think he would be able to run too much on us but I had no idea he had that type of arm therefore revealing our only weakness, pass coverage. Both teams hit hard because they were laying it all on the line and that was great to see. Hope to see you guys next year but who knows, maybe both of us will not make it. Milan and Humboldt have really good teams out west. Smith County and Westmoreland really improved but Tyner would seem to be your competition for next season. CPA will be our competition here in middle TN.

Yes, I think some of the lineman weighed a little bit less than the program suggested but probably not by much. I thought Alcoa's DL looked very small compared to last year. Should have been a better game but this year it belongs to Alcoa and who knows what the future will bring.

I will be back there next season pulling for my son and his team no matter how things turn out but hopefully they will be back to the final two teams just like this year.

Good luck to You, the Goodpasture Team and your Son.

-BlountCountySportsFan

volcamry: I'd have to say Smith Co. and GP would be a toss-up as to the best 2A team we played all year. Would've loved to have seen those 2 mix it up!

Our d-line was basically the same guys as last year minus 2 that were seniors. They got the job done, though!

See ya next year!!! :thumb:

Edited by tornadogold

Ditto.................this was my son's last year and even if he plays College ball there's nothing like High School Football............I'm gonna miss it!!!!

Hey! Thank your son for the gloves...they're pretty nice. My freshman came home with them...let me know if he wants them back.

It may be a long time before Alcoa is de-throned again. The upcoming freshmen are being compared to this years senior class and last years senior class. When you win a lot of games and championships, and put so many people into college, naturally more kids will want to come to your school so I expect some of the Blount County school systems kids to transfer to Alcoa, and also some kids that move in from other schools. No, this is not recruiting at all, Alcoa doesnt pursue these kids, but when you win and put people in college it attracts more kids because they want that same opportunity. Dont be suprised if Alcoa climbs to the top of the list on all time state championships in the next 4 or 5 years (that depends on what our friends across town do though).

Exactly Alcoa06, recruiting is the coaches approaching players and trying to get them to transfer. A player coming to play for a better school and get a better education is not recruiting. People want whats best for their kids in both education and sports. It would be dumb to claim that no kid goes to Alcoa just because they can win. They do, but it is not recruiting. A winning program attracts people who want to be the best. The teachers are paid near the top of the state for a reason, the academics are good. Combine good academics with a state championship program and you get a school that is very attractive for people looking for a place to send their kids. Plus, the majority are born and raised in Alcoa. Many probably go from K-12 at Alcoa like I did. It will be hard to dethrone Alcoa, and I definitly don't see a region 2 loss anytime soon.

It may be a long time before Alcoa is de-throned again. The upcoming freshmen are being compared to this years senior class and last years senior class. When you win a lot of games and championships, and put so many people into college, naturally more kids will want to come to your school so I expect some of the Blount County school systems kids to transfer to Alcoa, and also some kids that move in from other schools. No, this is not recruiting at all, Alcoa doesnt pursue these kids, but when you win and put people in college it attracts more kids because they want that same opportunity. Dont be suprised if Alcoa climbs to the top of the list on all time state championships in the next 4 or 5 years (that depends on what our friends across town do though).

Well said. When we moved back to the area 3 years ago, one of the selling points for Alcoa is the # of scholarships that the kids got...not just athletic scholarships, but overall scholarships. And, we (okay, I) tried to keep an open mind about all 4 schools in Blount County. Alcoa was just a better fit for our kids than the others.

Well said. When we moved back to the area 3 years ago, one of the selling points for Alcoa is the # of scholarships that the kids got...not just athletic scholarships, but overall scholarships. And, we (okay, I) tried to keep an open mind about all 4 schools in Blount County. Alcoa was just a better fit for our kids than the others.

and don't forget..........At the foot of dear old Smoky.............................Hail Alcoa Hail!!!

My three kids are in college now, but these are the reasons that after I finish my Ph.D I plan to move back so I can give back...