Top 10 In 1A

ptguard12

Tops In 1A

1. Summertown (3-0) – The Lady Eagles won their only game of the week in convincing fashion as they demolished the Lady Bulldogs of Columbia Academy by 62 points. Things will get tougher this week as they travel to play a pretty good AA Lewis County team on November 28th before hosting Forrest on December 2nd in what could be a really good game or a blowout by the Lady Eagles.

2. Red Boiling Springs (6-0) – The Lady Bulldogs won four more games this week by 20 or more points when they took down Watertown by 20, Trousdale County by 30, Hampshire by 52, and Sale Creek by 41. RBS has still yet to play anyone of any substance, but should get some better games this week as they will get District 7A play underway when they host Clay County on the 28th and traveled to Pickett County on the 1st.

3. Clarkrange (4-0) – The Lady Buffaloes continue to impress as they won big over East Literature by 33 points before taking down a very good Class A team in Oneida by 20 points. Clarkrange will look to continue their winning ways when they go on the road to take on a winless AA team in Bledsoe County on the 28th before hosting District 7A opponent Jackson County on the 1st in what should be a very good game on Clarkrange’s home floor.

4. Collinwood (1-0) – The Lady Trojans finally got their season underway this week when they defeated Region 6A foe Cornersville by 24 points. This week will be just as easy for the girls in green as they should easily take down all three of their opponents beginning with AA Loretto at home on Monday, Region 6A opponent Culleoka at home on Thursday, and Wilson, AL on the road on Friday.

5. Trinity Christian Academy (3-0) – The Lady Lions continue to roll behind Sophomore Crickett Glenn who is averaging a double-double in points and rebounds per game. This past week they only played one game where they took down Region 8A opponent Fayette Academy by 19. Things should get interesting this week when they travel to AA rival University School of Jackson on Monday before traveling to play District 13A co-favorite McKenzie on Tuesday. The Lady Lions will then compete in the annual West Tennessee Basketball Officials Association Tournament at Jackson Christian on Friday and Saturday where they will once again face the University School of Jackson before playing AA Dyer County.

6. Jackson County (4-0) – The Lady Blue Devils took down two decent AAA teams in Kenwood (by 23 points) and Independence (by 14 points). Jackson County will need to continue to get balance scoring from Dyer, Maxwell, and Sevier if they expect to come out on top this week when they host Class AA favorite Upperman on Tuesday before traveling to face District 7A rival Clarkrange on Friday.

7. Richland (5-0) – The Lady Raiders have jumped out to a 5 – 0 start despite the loss of center Jasmine Duke, who was injured in Richland’s first game of the year. Despite losing her, the Lady Raiders still won the Ardmore Thanksgiving Tournament, which featured them beating three teams from Alabama by an average of about 13 points per game. However, while they may be undefeated, they have yet to play a team from Tennessee and everyone knows that Alabama Girls’ Basketball does not even begin to compare to Tennessee Girls’ Basketball. Nevertheless, there is no denying that Richland has the talent to play and compete with mostly everyone in Class A and they’ll get a chance to prove that starting this week when they travel to Eagleville on the 28th, before hosting West Limestone, AL on the 30th, and then culminating with a trip to Santa Fe on the 1st for their first tough District 11A game of the year, which hopefully will give us a glimpse of just how good Richland is after all.

8. Greenfield (3-0) – I have been skeptical of the Lady Yellowjackets after losing the majority of their offensive production from last year in Atnip and Page. However, after impressive victories over West Carroll by 28 and AA Martin Westview by 10, Greenfield has made me a believer. This week they should get two more victories as they begin District 14A play by hosting South Fulton on Tuesday before traveling to Halls on Friday.

9. Forrest (3-3) – The Lady Rockets have played the hardest schedule thus far in Class A and this week it resulted in wins over Class AAA LaVergne and Class A dynasty Wayne County (by 7 points). However, they also recorded two more losses this week when they fell to Mendenhall and AA Harpeth by 4 before getting embarrassed by an up-and-coming AAA team in Lawrence County by 20. Forrest could very well fall out of the Top 10 if they lose any of their games this week as they have a tough home game against Moore County on the 28th, an easy home District 9A game against F.C. Boyd, Sr. Christian on the 1st, and a real strong test at Summertown on the 2nd.

T10. Gleason (2-0) – The Lady Bulldogs played only one game this week as they defeated Region 7A opponent West Carroll by 22. Hudson has proven that she is the early favorite for the Class A Miss Basketball as she has scored 33 and 37 points in her first two games. Gleason will play three games this week as they begin District 14A play on the 28th at home against Lake County. They will then travel to South Fulton for another district game on the 1st before hosting Region 7A opponent Clarksburg on the 2nd.

T10. Oneida (2-2) – The Lady Indians took a beating this week when they got thumped in the second half against Clarkrange resulting in a 20 point loss to their Class A counterpart. Then, after rebounding against AAA Powell in a game they won by 27, Oneida slipped again as they fell to a pretty good AA Loudon squad by 1. The Lady Indians will look to be more consistent this week as they begin District 4A play with two home games, one against undefeated Oakdale on Tuesday and the other against Wartburg on Friday.

Best of the Rest: Wayne County (12), Cloudland (13), Oliver Springs (14), Scotts Hill (15)

Let me first start off by saying that I was at the Forrest and Wayne County game at the Columbia Thanksgiving Classic and neither team impressed me at all. At this point early in the season, neither of them could compete for four quarters with any of the top 4. Forrest stays in the Top 10 because they have played an insanely tough schedule (though there is no excuse for them losing to Lawrence County by 20), but has a good chance of dropping out if they lose any of their games this week (and that is almost certain considering they play Summertown of whom they will have to play alot better against then they did Wayne County and Lawrence County).

Madison Academic Magnet dropped all the way out of the poll after they lost to some pretty average AA teams in Dyer County (actually they are probably below average) and University School of Jackson. They also got blown away by AA McNairy Central, who is always good, but should not be 20 points better then the Lady Mustangs.

A little advice for anyone that does not have plans on Saturday night: If you want to experience one of the greatest atmospheres in girls’ basketball, you need to be at Summertown High School on Saturday night, because that place will be packed when Forrest comes to town.

Edited by ptguard12

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see my buddies from West Tennessee back, Gleason.

Richland will have its hands full with Santa Fe, a very good team wanting to make a name for itself. I hear they have a great aau program going too. Duke can come back now and we could use her, but we are encouraging her to wait another week and maybe make her return against Wayne County next Friday. No matter what happens the rest of the way, I have been impressed with Richland's play. I had penciled them in for 15 wins this year. That will probably be closer to 25 I believe. Getting out of a region with Summertown, Collinwood, Wayne County, Perry County, Moore County, and Santa Fe will not be easy. The second place team in the region will probably get to visit Chapel Hill at subs. That will not be an easy task either. But at least I believe that now we have a chance. :unsure:

RICHLAND IS RANKED #1 in Alabama 3A basketball!!!! :lol: Too bad we are not in Alabama.

I told everyone Summertown was the real deal. I believe there are only 3 teams in 1a basketball that have a chance to beat them. I will not name them for now. Also, if you have never seen a bball game played in a barn, go to Summertown.

Edited by jamieroper

I think you were tough on us (Forrest) this week, but that is okay, lots of quality above us. I look at some of these teams however beating other teams by 30-50 points and I have to wonder about not only the caliber of their opponent but the sportsmanship of keeping starters in when you are demolishing a team. Now I know teams can get demolished by reserves also, but you know as well as I do, some coaches seem to thrive on these huge margins, I saw that this weekend with Loretto and Mt Pleasant, he pulled his starters out with 2 minutes to go and Mt Pleasant actually seemed demoralized, and Summertown beating Columbia Academy by 62?....... We have played a very tough early schedule as you stated and truthfully have been very inconsistant, starting out very strong with some teams, Harpeth and Lawrence for instance, and then seeming to lose our rhythm. Truthfully had Coach Reasonover left the starters in, I feel we would have trounced FRA, Lavergne and Wayne County and if our margin of victory been greater would you have felt we were a better ball club? We certainly do need to have it together this week with both Moore and Summertown.....As always I wait with anticipation for your Top10 and appreciate the work you put into it...and as always GO LADY ROCKETS!!!!!!!!

I think you were tough on us (Forrest) this week, but that is okay, lots of quality above us. I look at some of these teams however beating other teams by 30-50 points and I have to wonder about not only the caliber of their opponent but the sportsmanship of keeping starters in when you are demolishing a team. Now I know teams can get demolished by reserves also, but you know as well as I do, some coaches seem to thrive on these huge margins, I saw that this weekend with Loretto and Mt Pleasant, he pulled his starters out with 2 minutes to go and Mt Pleasant actually seemed demoralized, and Summertown beating Columbia Academy by 62?....... We have played a very tough early schedule as you stated and truthfully have been very inconsistant, starting out very strong with some teams, Harpeth and Lawrence for instance, and then seeming to lose our rhythm. Truthfully had Coach Reasonover left the starters in, I feel we would have trounced FRA, Lavergne and Wayne County and if our margin of victory been greater would you have felt we were a better ball club? We certainly do need to have it together this week with both Moore and Summertown.....As always I wait with anticipation for your Top10 and appreciate the work you put into it...and as always GO LADY ROCKETS!!!!!!!!

Remember my old friend; it is a marathon, not a sprint. The hard schedule and the early losses will only make you stronger. I expect us to trip up a few times against teams we should probably beat. However, at least I know that if we play our game, that we can actually compete with anyone. Will we? That is yet to be determined. But at least I know we can, just as you know you can.

As for running up the score, Richland owes a coach or two ourselves. It will come back around to those who do. I would never ask my reserves not to try to score, but I have seen teams pressing with their starters, up by 30, with 4 minutes to go. But it will come back around. :lol:

You can take a look right now at some of the top teams and their schedules. The ones with the tough schedules are the ones that will be ready come tourney time. Count on it. :D

Edited by jamieroper

Hey Jamieroper....Just read the schedule for Dec 9th at Marshall County. Richland plays Marshall County after Forrest plays Lewis County, both AA schools. Should be a couple of excellent games! I will have to stay and watch Richland play. Marshall County's team has a couple of players we played AAU with, they are a good team. You should have Duke back by then too, hopefully she will be healthy and ready to go!! Good luck to you...... :lol:

Edited by auntkim