Junior Varsity vs. Varsity

BBall_Fan

This applies to ALL sports, not just basketball and not only the boys teams.

What's this with all the Varsity players being allowed to play on Junior Varsity whenever the coach wants? This is just personal opinion, but I feel that coaches should have a JV and Varsity roster and varsity players shouldn't be able to "play down" just so the team can get a win. It's obvious they're not JV players since they are playing on the Varsity squad already. For one thing, it's not fair to the other players and teams, but what's the point in having JV if the lesser skilled players can't get the experience on the court, field, etc.. It just seems that coaches are only interested in winning at any cost, no matter what level they're coaching at. It seems like nobody wants to think of tomorrow and developing a team for next year. Whatever happened to fair play and sportsmanship? Do none of these teams/coaches have a conscience anymore?

Enough of my "venting"...now we feel all better ;)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well say u have a sophmore that never gets to play on varsity or maybe play 2-3 min he is pretty much losing one whole year of develpoment on the court. but if u play him on jv he will get better along with every1 that plays jv no matter the age. it should only be sophmores n freshmen though.

well say u have a sophmore that never gets to play on varsity or maybe play 2-3 min he is pretty much losing one whole year of develpoment on the court. but if u play him on jv he will get better along with every1 that plays jv no matter the age. it should only be sophmores n freshmen though.

From a "A" Coach"; What about the small schools who are sometimes forced to have Fresh and Soph on Varsity? They do play, but not alot. It's not their fault or the coaches and they should be allowed to get better.

Coach Shelton

In some cases, yes a coach might just be trying to play them down to get a win, which is absolutley detestable... but in most cases a coach just has no other option and certain players HAVE to play varsity for a few minutes... A young player that comes in off the bench for a few minutes a game doesn't get to play that much throughout the year and doesn't get experience, so he should get to play JV to develop his skills more and get more playing time and experience...I do get what you are saying, If a star player that STARTS for Varsity plays JV that is what I have a problem with...It just depends on the circumstances ;)

Edited by swedishcheese

I pretty much agree with the posters above. At many schools, there's plenty of varsity players that mostly just sit during varsity games. I don't have any problem with these players getting playing time on the JV team. I see it as a win-win situation for both individual players and team development.

We have faced teams with two varsity STARTERS playing 3 quarters of the JV game this year. When they removed the quarter "limits" last year they opened it up to this crap. The honest truth is that in one of those games we lost the JV game, but won the varsity simply because their players got tired and faltered. They led us the whole game until the fatigue caught up in the 4th quarter. But hey! They won the JV game :thumb: WWWHHHHHOOOOOOOOOO HHOOOOOOOO. :unsure::lol:

When my oldest son was a soph. he played JV and was a starter on the football team..I thought it was kind of silly,why would you risk getting a starter hurt playing a JV game??..Anyway,he didn't get hurt and it helped him his junior and senior season....I'm not particularly for it though....

In basketball,if you have a kid that dresses for the varsity,but plays very little,I don't see the problem....But,I don't see a starter playing,especially if they have a varsity game the same night...

From a "A" Coach"; What about the small schools who are sometimes forced to have Fresh and Soph on Varsity? They do play, but not alot. It's not their fault or the coaches and they should be allowed to get better.

Coach Shelton

I don't totally agree that JV should only be freshman and sophomores. My opinion has always been that the varsity squad is the more experienced and higher caliber players on the team. In a rare instance, you may have a junior or senior suddenly decide they want to play a sport even though they have limited (or no) experience, but by the same token, you may have an excellent freshman who is a natural and has lived and breathed sports all his life and deserves to be on varsity. I've just always looked at JV being the newer or lesser experienced players (no matter what grade they're in). Personally, I feel that the only time a varsity player should EVER be allowed to play on JV is if they're 2nd or 3rd string. I don't think coaches should ever be allowed put their varsity starters in and should even be penalized if they're caught doing so.

if varsity starters are playing jv then coach is not very good. sophmores and freshman that dress on varsity but sit the bench cant get better without playng and should be allowed to play jv. even freshmen who get several varsity minutes should be allowed to play some jv so that they can learn the system better and perfect their skills. i do think that the jv coach should do all that he or she can to get everyone into the game or make efforts to play the ones that miss out this game int he next one. this aint little league though where everyone that is wearing a uni gets to play in every game.

This applies to ALL sports, not just basketball and not only the boys teams.

What's this with all the Varsity players being allowed to play on Junior Varsity whenever the coach wants? This is just personal opinion, but I feel that coaches should have a JV and Varsity roster and varsity players shouldn't be able to "play down" just so the team can get a win. It's obvious they're not JV players since they are playing on the Varsity squad already. For one thing, it's not fair to the other players and teams, but what's the point in having JV if the lesser skilled players can't get the experience on the court, field, etc.. It just seems that coaches are only interested in winning at any cost, no matter what level they're coaching at. It seems like nobody wants to think of tomorrow and developing a team for next year. Whatever happened to fair play and sportsmanship? Do none of these teams/coaches have a conscience anymore?

Enough of my "venting"...now we feel all better :unsure:

We took our freshman team to Clarksville North West last night and NW played their JV, they had atleast 1 junior that played a lot of Varsity last year, and 3 sophomores that played against us last year. Their center has started against our freshman for 3 years, and I am pretty sure he started against our Varsity last year. NW is a 4a school and this is totally innappropriate behavior for a coach. The great thing about it is, these upperclassmen, ran their mouths all night, I would be proud of that win NW.

I think that some of the varsity players that are getting less than 10 minutes of PT some play JV. It helps them develop into better players. I don't think that seniors should play on JV at all, no matter how much time they get playing varsity. As for temas playing their varsity against a weaker, less talented JV team? It only creates bitter feelings and increases the risk of injury to the better players. I don't think that many coaches would take the chance, because if they did, it would make them very unintelligent.

their is a unwritten rule in coaching that if you have a varsity player that starts or gets significant playing time each night they should not play in jv. Jv is your training ground for the future and whatever kids dont play in varsity night in and night out should get the playing time in jv. I believe in playing to win but not by stacking the deck to stroke my ego with a great jv win. The grade of the players are not a factor. The only exception is if you have a freshman or sophomore that is playing varsity for the first time and as long as he is not your best 2-3 players then play him 1-2 quarters in the jv games early in the season maybe to get him confidence or at a different position on the floor. Dont play him to win though ever and like the poster said whaty would you risk fatigue or injury for a jv game that winning it is not important.