Privates Better Coaches

ddaddy

The program Maryville has is not because of open zoning. I really don't think it matters much. How do you explain the lack of DI talent? I would guess they are way down the list.

In a school that size...there are plenty of players. The difference is that DI privates are all small schools. It does make a tremendous difference there.

DI privates have potentially a lot more athletes. That's a fact whether you or the Bald One want to admit it or not.

Statistically this idea doesn't pan out. We have gone over the data before, but the DI privates have no more good athletes than the small publics...at least as far as college capable athletes go.

Now there may be more potential if the small privates are cheating and intentionally recruiting athletes from their wider zone. But the numbers bear out the fact that they are not. Thus, I hold to my analogy that a small deep puddle holds just as much water as a wide shallow one. As long as the small privates aren't skimming the athletic cream from the areas they get students from, they are getting no more athletes than the publics.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

baldcoach,

It is obvious you dont like my posting and that is fine. A poor loley public school guy like myself has a right to say what he pleases and it hasn't been as bad as some of you people think it has, I havent been banned or punished yet. You private people get on here and accuse the good guys (public) of recruiting and I havent seen you say word about it to them. Ohhh wait, because we are the public school guys, thats right! But you and your 35 years of wisdom in private schools only want to bash the small guy. Look I said MOST not ALL private schools have the money to take care of certain situations. You cant deny the $1000 parking fees, you cant deny some private schools draw from 9 different counties, you cant deny something is up when privates have won 6 of the last 1A state championships. So if you dont like my postings get over it.

LOL...poor you. I never said you can't say what you please, I just called you on the holier than thou attitude you adopt...just like in this post. Of course you can post that most privates are dishonest...I just want you to own up to it instead of crying about it when someone comes on here and rips you for accusing 10000 people of being institutionally hypocritical and morally bankrupt.

I have NEVER seen ANY poster accuse anyone of recruiting who isn't an anti-private poster...you are one. I have seen posts from people acknowledging that some recruiting goes on both public and private and it is a shame...but you are one of the few who accuses most or all of the small privates of dishonesty.

Finally, I have never denied that small privates have to raise money...but we have been over this before. I'll type slowly this time. DI privates run a DEFICIT budget. They don't have the huge endowments that the older prep schools have built up over time. They don't have a huge pool of wealthy 2nd and 3rd generation alumni. They simply don't have the funds to do what you accuse them all of doing. But they wouldn't even if they could.

Sadly, you assume the worst then spread it around as fact...

LOL...poor you. I never said you can't say what you please, I just called you on the holier than thou attitude you adopt...just like in this post. Of course you can post that most privates are dishonest...I just want you to own up to it instead of crying about it when someone comes on here and rips you for accusing 10000 people of being institutionally hypocritical and morally bankrupt.

I have NEVER seen ANY poster accuse anyone of recruiting who isn't an anti-private poster...you are one. I have seen posts from people acknowledging that some recruiting goes on both public and private and it is a shame...but you are one of the few who accuses most or all of the small privates of dishonesty.

Finally, I have never denied that small privates have to raise money...but we have been over this before. I'll type slowly this time. DI privates run a DEFICIT budget. They don't have the huge endowments that the older prep schools have built up over time. They don't have a huge pool of wealthy 2nd and 3rd generation alumni. They simply don't have the funds to do what you accuse them all of doing. But they wouldn't even if they could.

Sadly, you assume the worst then spread it around as fact...

I dont care if you think its fact or not. Myself with most public supporters know what the privates do. Im sorry but it is America that last I looked and I have my right to an opinion. If you think that is calling 10000 people liars and cheaters so be it. Get over it. I have seen people accuse publics of recruiting so your statement is false. Read the post on Shelbyville. So I guess they called over a million people cheaters and liars. You need to come up with something new.

The program Maryville has is not because of open zoning. I really don't think it matters much. How do you explain the lack of DI talent? I would guess they are way down the list.

In a school that size...there are plenty of players. The difference is that DI privates are all small schools. It does make a tremendous difference there.

DI privates have potentially a lot more athletes. That's a fact whether you or the Bald One want to admit it or not.

I generally agree with you on your first paragraph. I do think you are selling Maryville's overall talent a little short. They may not have produced as many D1 players as a school like Memphis Melrose, for instance, but that is not to say they haven't been talented. I have no idea how many players they have sent to D1AA or lower divisions, but I suspect those numbers would be pretty substantial. Riverdale hasn't really had all that many D1 players for all the success they have had in recent years, either, but that doesn't mean they haven't had a great deal of talent.

I disagree with your point and your premise of the second paragraph.

Respectfully submitted,

SS17

I know I may start some controversy by this post, as always...I welcome the debate...

A coach not only helps their players improve as individuals and players, leads their team to victories, but also facilitates getting players scholarships. There are some coaches and AD's that see this as a role in their job. Their are others (particularly at privates) that do not. Take a gander at some of the privates that have consistently played in state football, basketball, baseball championships and the number of players that get scholarships vs. publics. The public kids get the scholarships. Private coaches do not see assisting with obtaining scholarships as part of their 'job.' Look at Ravenwood football and how many of those kids get scholarships, then look at the privates that went to the state tournament in 1. 2 .& 3 A. Many of the kids at the privates could have been starters (stars) on a 5A team. Another example? Smyrna women's basketball program. I believe every senior from their 05/06 team (regardless of stats or playing time) got a scholarship. Look at the different privates and see which schools have kids that get scholarships vs. do not. You'd be surprised!!! I must say that the public coaches (on the surface) seem to be much more invested in getting the athletic scholarship for their players. I am not talking about kids that go to Div 1 colleges, but ones who go to small public or private schools strictly for the education, via an athletic scholarship. Mind you, there are a few privates that have coaches that put in the hours outside of 8 to 5 to send letters, film, talk to schools, etc... That sure is not the 'norm.' If you have an outstanding athlete that is entering junior or high school, and you are hoping for a college athletic scholarship, go Div 2 private, go public, or look into the division 1 private's 'record' in terms of scholarships for players. If they have a huge winning program and few scholarships...there's your answer... go elsewhere. Div 1 privates (for the most part), are 8 to 5 coaches who care only about their pay check, personal life, or "assume" no kids need scholarships. Again...this is not ALL Div 1 private coaches...but MANY. Do your research before picking your junior high or high school athletic teams. A school's success in making championship teams is NOT telling to their coach's investment in your child.

Edited by Morton

I know I may start some controversy by this post, as always...I welcome the debate...

A coach not only helps their players improve as individuals and players, leads their team to victories, but also facilitates getting players scholarships. There are some coaches and AD's that see this as a role in their job. Their are others (particularly at privates) that do not. Take a gander at some of the privates that have consistently played in state football, basketball, baseball championships and the number of players that get scholarships vs. publics. The public kids get the scholarships. Private coaches do not see assisting with obtaining scholarships as part of their 'job.' Look at Ravenwood football and how many of those kids get scholarships, then look at the privates that went to the state tournament in 1. 2 .& 3 A. Many of the kids at the privates could have been starters (stars) on a 5A team. Another example? Smyrna women's basketball program. I believe every senior from their 05/06 team (regardless of stats or playing time) got a scholarship. Look at the different privates and see which schools have kids that get scholarships vs. do not. You'd be surprised!!! I must say that the public coaches (on the surface) seem to be much more invested in getting the athletic scholarship for their players. I am not talking about kids that go to Div 1 colleges, but ones who go to small public or private schools strictly for the education, via an athletic scholarship. Mind you, there are a few privates that have coaches that put in the hours outside of 8 to 5 to send letters, film, talk to schools, etc... That sure is not the 'norm.' If you have an outstanding athlete that is entering junior or high school, and you are hoping for a college athletic scholarship, go Div 2 private, go public, or look into the division 1 private's 'record' in terms of scholarships for players. If they have a huge winning program and few scholarships...there's your answer... go elsewhere. Div 1 privates (for the most part), are 8 to 5 coaches who care only about their pay check, personal life, or "assume" no kids need scholarships. Again...this is not ALL Div 1 private coaches...but MANY. Do your research before picking your junior high or high school athletic teams. A school's success in making championship teams is NOT telling to their coach's investment in your child.

You would think that if they helped them get into their school, they would help them at the next level. :blink:

I understand what you are trying to say but the problem may be two fold. JMO, but the public schools have better athletes as a whole than do the privates. If the public schools do have most of the good athletes then it only makes sense that those are the athletes that sign to play in college. The second part has to do with the private schools & their parents attitudes about academics. Often times those athletes are not recruited by the JUCO, NAIA & small D2 schools because they know that the kids will not sign with them. I have had college coaches tell me that they are not going to even talk to kids from school X or Z because they have a zero chance to sign them. The college coaches know that the athlete does not have the talent to play D1 but he could play on the D1AA or at a small school but because he has great academics he will choose to attend Vanderbilt, Duke, Wake, etc... and be a regular student. The college placement offices of schools like MBA, McCallie, Harpeth Hall, GPS, etc... will push for the student/athlete to attend Rhodes, Emory, Sewanee, etc... and particpate in athletics at that level instead of attending a much larger D1AA school that does not have the same academic reputation.

You must be kidding. You are comparing 5a schools with 1a and 2a schools. Small privates send a lot more kids on the play at the college level than small publics. There are a couple of exceptions (Alcoa...Tyner).

There are a lot of coaches that don't help...unless asked...in all high schools.

Also...I really don't think it's the high school coach's job to get their players scholarships. Heck...the parents should be the proactive ones. They are the ones that will benefit from a scholarship. Learn early what to do. Enlist the coach's help to obtain film. Contact colleges...and send them that film. Tell them your kid is interested in their school and program. I don't think there's any coach that would refuse to help if he thinks the player needs it...and asks for it. If a player is good enough to play at the next level...they will. It may be NAIA...DII...DIII or DI AA. Tell your kid how important grades are...especially to play spring sports in college. Colleges only have so many scholarships to give. If you have the test scores to get academic scholarships...I guarantee you have a better chance to get some athletic money. Usually...the 1st question asked by a college coach is...how are your grades...and are you qualified?

Edited by Antwan

You must be kidding. You are comparing 5a schools with 1a and 2a schools. Small privates send a lot more kids on the play at the college level than small publics. There are a couple of exceptions (Alcoa...Tyner).

There are a lot of coaches that don't help...unless asked...in all high schools.

Also...I really don't think it's the high school coach's job to get their players scholarships. Heck...the parents should be the proactive ones. They are the ones that will benefit from a scholarship. Learn early what to do. Enlist the coach's help to obtain film. Contact colleges...and send them that film. Tell them your kid is interested in their school and program. I don't think there's any coach that would refuse to help if he thinks the player needs it...and asks for it. If a player is good enough to play at the next level...they will. It may be NAIA...DII...DIII or DI AA. Tell your kid how important grades are...especially to play spring sports in college. Colleges only have so many scholarships to give. If you have the test scores to get academic scholarships...I guarantee you have a better chance to get some athletic money. Usually...the 1st question asked by a college coach is...how are your grades...and are you qualified?

antwan,

As a former college coach (D1) I can tell you from experience that parents need to stay out of the process other than helping their kids complete the requested forms. If a parent contacts the college coach the staff will not give them the time of day unless they have already heard of the kid and know that they can play. If the high school coach makes the phone call the college coach will lisiten and try to evaluate the player. I will tell you that some coaches have the reputation of "over promoting" their players while other high school coaches do little or nothing unless the college coach contacts them for their opinion.

Broad generalizations like this statement are at best inaccurate.

Agreed! In fact, I have found the opposite to be true. We spend hundreds of hours in the off season trying to help our kids who want to play at the next level get a chance. The truth is that most aren't good enough athletes (great kids though!!) to get a look. We have quite a high walk-on percentage. My experience is that the publics do have much better athletic pools than the small privates...I know that that doesn't apply in every case, speaking generally here.

"You must be kidding. You are comparing 5a schools with 1a and 2a schools. Small privates send a lot more kids on the play at the college level than small publics. There are a couple of exceptions (Alcoa...Tyner). "

Once you account for graduation and eligibility ratios the small publics end up with more college level athletes than the small privates...we have talked about this on other threads

"There are a lot of coaches that don't help...unless asked...in all high schools. "

Very True.