Knoxville Sweeps The State!

prospect

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Knoxville resident let me say for the record that nothing crawls under my skin more than every saturday when I look at the front page of the High School football section the lead story is always, Maryville, Alcoa, or Oak Ridge. Knoxville has some pretty good football and lets be honest Blount Co and Anderson Co papers are not leading with a Knoxville school. Sure i want to read about those games, but I think the Knoxville News Sentinel should start sending camera men to Knoxville High School games and giving them some ink.

I know that those three schools previously mentioned have great teams and traditions but as a Knoxville resident I think that a lot of teams in Knox County dont get the ink they deserve.

Thank you! I think the people who argue that "Maryville and Alcoa aren't in Knoxville" don't know much about East TN football tradition! If Mo West would have won instead of Maryville, then it would not have been "Knox Area" it would have been East TN!

That's right Snap. And they don't know much about where some of the players on those teams learned the game before stepping foot on the High School field. For example, some of the "stars" @ Alcoa (Lanxter & Sommers), and @ Mville (Douglas, Burnette, and the Clendenen) played in the Knox County Youth League along with the A. Anderson, D. Rogan, J. Stinson, J. Wilson, J. Bruhin, J. McGaha, H.Smith, Hammilton, that went on to AE, Fulton, Central, Catholic, Powell, West, Bearden, Farragut, Carter, Webb, etc. all grew up playing for years with the Baby Roadrunners, Baby Falcons, Pilot, programs. Those kids are for the most part getting very good coaching, playing very competitve ball, and realizing strong community support from a very early age. I would suggest that the success based on the last five years by the high schools in this area is not a random event, but rather a trend that will last for some time. I hope. Yes, and there are no MoWest teams playing down off of Sutherland Ave.