Privates recruiting

oldfathertime

The year Red Bank won the state championship, they rented a billboard on Dayton Boulevard and put a team picture on it. That was school and town pride. When McCallie won state the rented a billboard on Dodds Avenue and placed a picture of the state championship team on it that ,no doubt, was recruiting.

And private schools recruit athletes but public schools attract athletes with their success.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Madison Academic Magnet High School.

Yes, it is a public high school

Yes, it is a magnet high school.

Yes, Madison has a waiting list.

179 Allen Ave

Jackson, TN 38301

Phone: (731)-427-3501

The principal is Tommy Allen

Call him, he can tell you how many kids are on the waiting list.

I won't say anything directed at Madison, because I have no first hand knowledge. However, I do know that coaches are allowed to see the waiting list at Liberty to have input concerning who is allowed in. Does this mean that they always get that athlete? Probably not. But, they have grown from 800 to 1400 students in two years.

So parents are doing the recruiting?????? Are the parents recruiting their own children to the schools, or other peoples children????? Seems to me that parents are just making decisions as to where their children go to school. And that can't be considered recruiting by any standard.

I see the word "recruit" and I think of a person who is brought to a school and then has his/her education paid for. David Lipscomb does not give financial assistance to anyone that plays sports. Public schools don't necessarily advertise because you move into their zone, you don't window shop and pick a school-at least not in metro. But, I have seen many ads for the magnet schools around. Every private school does some sort of advertising. It is not wrong for me to share a good experience about my kids' school with someone. That is not recruiting. I have shared my public school experiences as well, prompting families to move out of their zone and into ours. It's about trying to do the right thing for your child. And, thank goodness, we live in a country of free speech. I am free to invite you to visit our school and you are free to say no. Tssaa has enough problems, they don't need to ad this debate to the plate.

I see the word "recruit" and I think of a person who is brought to a school and then has his/her education paid for. David Lipscomb does not give financial assistance to anyone that plays sports. Public schools don't necessarily advertise because you move into their zone, you don't window shop and pick a school-at least not in metro. But, I have seen many ads for the magnet schools around. Every private school does some sort of advertising. It is not wrong for me to share a good experience about my kids' school with someone. That is not recruiting. I have shared my public school experiences as well, prompting families to move out of their zone and into ours. It's about trying to do the right thing for your child. And, thank goodness, we live in a country of free speech. I am free to invite you to visit our school and you are free to say no. Tssaa has enough problems, they don't need to ad this debate to the plate.

I agree. I was replying to a person who I believe was implying that parents could also recruit. I call it good parenting. Those who say any form of advertising is recruiting, call it recruiting.

I won't say anything directed at Madison, because I have no first hand knowledge. However, I do know that coaches are allowed to see the waiting list at Liberty to have input concerning who is allowed in. Does this mean that they always get that athlete? Probably not. But, they have grown from 800 to 1400 students in two years.

Sure it has. Parents are moving into Liberty's district, to get out of JCM's, South Side's and North Side's districts. They can't get into Madison, where it doesn't matter wherer they live, so they move into Liberty's district. I hope you weren't implying that the coaches had recruited 600 athletes to Liberty in the past 2 years.

The year Red Bank won the state championship, they rented a billboard on Dayton Boulevard and put a team picture on it. That was school and town pride. When McCallie won state the rented a billboard on Dodds Avenue and placed a picture of the state championship team on it that ,no doubt, was recruiting.

You recruiting conspiracy theorists are just incredible. The exact same thing - done once by a public and once by a private - aren't the same thing????? What a double standard.

Sure it has. Parents are moving into Liberty's district, to get out of JCM's, South Side's and North Side's districts. They can't get into Madison, where it doesn't matter wherer they live, so they move into Liberty's district. I hope you weren't implying that the coaches had recruited 600 athletes to Liberty in the past 2 years.

Of course not, the same as I'm hoping you aren't naive enough to think that coaches don't have influence over who gets in off the waiting list from outside Liberty's district.

Edited by westtennsports

You recruiting conspiracy theorists are just incredible. The exact same thing - done once by a public and once by a private - aren't the same thing????? What a double standard.

What double standard? It's wrong when Shelbyville recruits/attracts girls to play for their program the same as when a private school does it. That's not a double standard. What's wrong for one is wrong for the other. You'll definitely need a bona fide change of address if you're recruited to the public school and if you live too far for the commute from most private schools you'll probably have to move as well. I mean, how many have dorms and are boarding students? That would make the recruiting alot easier. :unsure:

What double standard? It's wrong when Shelbyville recruits/attracts girls to play for their program the same as when a private school does it. That's not a double standard. What's wrong for one is wrong for the other. You'll definitely need a bona fide change of address if you're recruited to the public school and if you live too far for the commute from most private schools you'll probably have to move as well. I mean, how many have dorms and are boarding students? That would make the recruiting alot easier. :lol:

Sure its a double standard. My post was directed at the following uncfan13 quote:

"The year Red Bank won the state championship, they rented a billboard on Dayton Boulevard and put a team picture on it. That was school and town pride. When McCallie won state the rented a billboard on Dodds Avenue and placed a picture of the state championship team on it that ,no doubt, was recruiting."

So you have a public that puts up a billboard, and its called town pride.

When a private puts up a billboard its called recruiting.

If that's not a double standard I don't know what is. You said what's wrong for one is wrong for the other - so doesn't that also mean what's right for one is also right for the other. If one can advertise, then the other can advertise. If one can't advertise, then the other shouldn't be allowed to advetise.

If advertising is recruiting, and recruiting is a reason to spit the privates from the publics, then why won't one of you "split um" posters tell me why the publics who advertise shouldn't also be split from the publics who don't recruit. Your argument is, privates recruit, so split um, so if the publics recruit by the same standard, then they should also be split.

As double standards, your arguments can't be considered valid.

Edited by oknative

I'm pretty sure UNC attended and/or follows McCallie and was being sarcastic.

Well then he crystallized the double standard that is clearly on these boards by the split up fans.

But the argument still holds because that is the point that many make - that when private advertise its recruiting, yet when publics advertise its recruiting. Its still a double-standard.

I'm pretty sure UNC attended and/or follows McCallie and was being sarcastic.

Thank you Indian, although "sarcastic" might be too strong a word. I prefer to think of it as satire. Must not have been that good of satire or sarcasm, for that matter, because oknative didn't recognize it as such. On the other hand, native must be from Oklahoma which would explain having to explain it to him. Wonder if he's a wagon burner?