Privates recruiting

oldfathertime

I usually don't even get into this topic but I have a question. All the privates claim that they don't recruit etc.etc.etc. o why was David Lipscomb allowed to air all those commercials during the state championship game. Whether you like it or not that is a form of recruiting. They were reaching out to the kids that would be watching those games. That should be illegal. I didn't see any public schools advertising. That is recruiting no matter how you spin it. TSSAA should take a look into that. Yes you can say that they were just advertising their school but why was it only during the Championship games. You will not see those adverisments now. What is the prupose of advertising? To recruit to your product.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a difference between advertising your school and a

coach walking into someone's living room and asking a kid

to play for his team -- when the kid is not enrolled in the

coach's school.

Advertising is not recruiting in terms of the way the rules are

written.

I usually don't even get into this topic but I have a question. All the privates claim that they don't recruit etc.etc.etc. o why was David Lipscomb allowed to air all those commercials during the state championship game. Whether you like it or not that is a form of recruiting. They were reaching out to the kids that would be watching those games. That should be illegal. I didn't see any public schools advertising. That is recruiting no matter how you spin it. TSSAA should take a look into that. Yes you can say that they were just advertising their school but why was it only during the Championship games. You will not see those adverisments now. What is the prupose of advertising? To recruit to your product.

true Stan, seems like I remember, Huntingdon or someone along that line having an ad during the state championship games a couple of years ago....may not have been Huntingdon, but that was the first name that popped into my head,

I don't think it was Huntingdon. I don't remember who it was. We've had this discussion before. There is a fine line between recruiting and advertising.

oldfathertime... I wasn't trying to be smart, soI apologize if I came across that way, just trying to point out that this comes up year after year. The phrasing of the recruiting rule is hazy to say the least. I believe the wording is "undue influence" (correct me if I am wrong). That leaves a pretty broad door to walk through.

A coach signs a form saying they wont recruit. Parents are not held to that same obligation. I also don't think the advertisement falls under a recruiting violation, since it is broad and not focused on individuals. It is one of those gray areas that cause some ruffled feathers.

the real question is can schools promote themselves...ads are directed at all students not just atheletes...interesting point...North Side

(a public school)...ran ads this year during local football broadcasts...if they were not hoping to get students why would they have ran them...to often this board loses it's objectivity...the question should be recruiting why does TSSAA allow it...not Privates recruiting...unless we are really just targeting privates and not recruiting in general...recruiting is unfair regardless of who does it

Edited by JaxMan

When I watched the 2005 championship games, North Side, Liberty, and Madison all showed advertisements throughout the broadcast, atleast one during every commercial break. It was quite noticeable to be honest. Liberty and Madison are, of course, magnet schools. Also, if I remember correctly, the Jackson private schools had maybe five combined ads.