Privates recruiting

oldfathertime

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that Lipscomb's advertising during last weekend's state championships were a form of recruiting. I think it was advertising because they were making the public known of their school and what they have to offer. It's no different that colleges and universities putting advertising during ball games.

When I watched the 2005 championship games, North Side, Liberty, and Madison all showed advertisements throughout the broadcast, atleast one during every commercial break. It was quite noticeable to be honest. Liberty and Madison are, of course, magnet schools. Also, if I remember correctly, the Jackson private schools had maybe five combined ads.

You only get into Madison through a lottery, and there is a considerable wait list. Wouldn't make much sense for a school to recruit, only to have their "recruits" get stuck on a wait list with only a chance of getting in????? Kind of defeats the premise of advertising of this form being recruiting.

Besides, Madison, Northside and Liberty are public schools, not private.

Edited by oknative

I see JaxMan and Kublah have already responded and have verified what I was gonna say about the public schools advertising in Jackson. The pblic schools in Jackson don`t have the most favorable reputation. Personally I think it gets an unfair rap. Many kids have moved to private schools. The ads have one purpose and that is to get kids to come to their schools.

Many on here have tried to make the argument that private schools advertise and that`s not fair. Well public schools do it too so that kinda shoots down the argument.

A coach signs a form saying they wont recruit. Parents are not held to that same obligation.

So parents are doing the recruiting?????? Are the parents recruiting their own children to the schools, or other peoples children????? Seems to me that parents are just making decisions as to where their children go to school. And that can't be considered recruiting by any standard.

So you're saying that billboards with the school's logo and newspaper's ads are recruiting violations too? Cause that's advertisting right? And advertising in any way shape or form is recruiting right?

What happens if David Lipscomb lost their star singer to graduation and put out an ad on TV during their state title game (they are playing in it you know) to "recruit" to get another?????

And if you want to take it even further are we going to outlaw the news channels to announce the scores of games? Cause that's advertisement right? And advertisment is recuriting right?

You people are funny sometimes.

I don't think that Lipscomb's advertising during last weekend's state championships were a form of recruiting. I think it was advertising because they were making the public known of their school and what they have to offer. It's no different that colleges and universities putting advertising during ball games.

Colleges and universities do it to RECRUIT people to their school.

Coniglio a singer would not be sanctioned under the TSSAA where they have rules governing recruiting. Therefore a singer would not be recruiting. But posting an advertisement during the state championship games talking about their football team and congratulating them on getting to the state championship game 2 years in a row, and then giving contact informamtion on how to get in touch with the school. I would say that is recruiting.

I see JaxMan and Kublah have already responded and have verified what I was gonna say about the public schools advertising in Jackson. The pblic schools in Jackson don`t have the most favorable reputation. Personally I think it gets an unfair rap. Many kids have moved to private schools. The ads have one purpose and that is to get kids to come to their schools.

I agree. To an extent, the Madison Co. public schools have gotten a bad rep based on some isolated situations. But, you still cannot blame a parent for wanting to put their kids in a different envroment than that provided by the public schools right now. Bottom line, school is still what the student makes of it. A motivated student will succeed at any school. I will say this though, I know of more than one college football coach whom will no longer recruit from JCM. Talk about a sad situation.

No one is blaming, I'd hope, any parent for putting a child in a private school. The question is if the differences in public and private schools justifies a split in the postseason and in region/district play. I say yes, especially given the lopsided results (and there are more results to examine that just championship games).

No one is blaming, I'd hope, any parent for putting a child in a private school. The question is if the differences in public and private schools justifies a split in the postseason and in region/district play. I say yes, especially given the lopsided results (and there are more results to examine that just championship games).

But what differences are you referring to? Is is recruiting? or is it simply money and facilities? Because if you're talking money, then shouldn't the publics that have nice facilities, and have programs that are well-funded, and are successfull, be lumped in with the privates and be split apart along with the privates.

Edited by oknative

Coniglio a singer would not be sanctioned under the TSSAA where they have rules governing recruiting. Therefore a singer would not be recruiting. But posting an advertisement during the state championship games talking about their football team and congratulating them on getting to the state championship game 2 years in a row, and then giving contact informamtion on how to get in touch with the school. I would say that is recruiting.

I was going over the top to make a point. :angry:

But any form of advertisement is recruiting? That's a funny definition.

And you would be wrong. In most every case of college recruiting, coaches go visit the players and the players visit the school. Most everyone would agree that is recruiting. Placing an advertisement on television is not "undue influence" on a parent or player, and therefore by the definition - this can't possibly be considered recruiting. Maybe its advertising at a very opportune time, but still not recruiting. TSSAA will have to make a major revision to its recruiting definition before it comes even close. There's a huge difference in advertising one's school, and recruiting. It gets old listening to those who try to blur the lines.