Open Zoning for Students

flngrvy

I heard Murphy Fair the other day on the radio say that a few counties allow "open zoning" for the school in their county. I assume it's for all students who want to take an AP class offered at another school or for another student who wants to focus on certain subjects that may not be offered at their "zoned" school. Obviously, this would also apply to students who want to play at a particular high school in any sport. Our County doesn't allow students to attend any high school they want based on athletics. Does your county do so?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Williamson does, but it's not just based on athletics

I would say that it is not based on athletics period!! WC is proud of their athletic programs, but academics come first ALWAYS in WC!

CHS...correct me if I am wrong...but I believe the only schools considered to be "Open Zone" in WC are Page, Brentwood and Fairview I believe.

was CHS not open zoned for Franklin High students only at one time?

(Not that any student in their right mind would make that change!)

And all of that may change soon...with the zone lines being changed in the near future.

I heard Murphy Fair the other day on the radio say that a few counties allow "open zoning" for the school in their county. I assume it's for all students who want to take an AP class offered at another school or for another student who wants to focus on certain subjects that may not be offered at their "zoned" school. Obviously, this would also apply to students who want to play at a particular high school in any sport. Our County doesn't allow students to attend any high school they want based on athletics. Does your county do so?

:thumb: oh no....not this again

Not sure why this is your reaction. I heard it on the radio and was asking the question. If the subject is one you'd rather not discuss for whatever reason, then don't discuss. I don't recall another thread that asked the same question. :thumb:

The reaction is due to the fact that some people say that open zoning is why Alcoa wins, and I believe they have said the same about Maryville too. Open zoning occurs some in threads, but they forget that the academics at Maryville and Alcoa are higher than alot of schools too.

So, the answer to the question is that some county school systems allow open zoning for athletics only? So, in theory, if i lived across the street from school A who has an average football program but I want to go to school B which is 30 minutes away because I want to play for a better football program, that is allowed? Then over time, program A has no shot to ever have more than moderate success in their football program. This seems like a strange system to me and am sincerely surprised that is allowed. Now, if school A does not offer the same academic programs as school B I can see where a parent or student would want to take advantage of the academic courses. However, this system seems like it could be rife with nefarious outcomes by using academic reasons for what is truly an athletic endeavor. I guess maybe I'm naive.

So, the answer to the question is that some county school systems allow open zoning for athletics only? So, in theory, if i lived across the street from school A who has an average football program but I want to go to school B which is 30 minutes away because I want to play for a better football program, that is allowed? Then over time, program A has no shot to ever have more than moderate success in their football program. This seems like a strange system to me and am sincerely surprised that is allowed. Now, if school A does not offer the same academic programs as school B I can see where a parent or student would want to take advantage of the academic courses. However, this system seems like it could be rife with nefarious outcomes by using academic reasons for what is truly an athletic endeavor. I guess maybe I'm naive.

Well...It's not entirely like that. The student would have to appear before the school board and make a case as to why they choose to go to that school. The school board actually turns down alot of these requests, but others are allowed based on specific circumstances.

Academics is a good front for a lot of student athletes to go where they want. You can't tell me that it just so happens that Maryville has such outstanding athletes. Every county has this problem and as someone said in a previous statement yes the school that is lagging will continue to do so until the programs are almost nonexistant. We have that problem in our county and for every one that I have seen transfer to another school it's not so they can be on the debate team they are all athletes.