Open Zoning for Students

flngrvy

Academics is a good front for a lot of student athletes to go where they want. You can't tell me that it just so happens that Maryville has such outstanding athletes. Every county has this problem and as someone said in a previous statement yes the school that is lagging will continue to do so until the programs are almost nonexistant. We have that problem in our county and for every one that I have seen transfer to another school it's not so they can be on the debate team they are all athletes.

I believe that both Maryville and Alcoa are city schools and because of that they can offer tuition to county students.

There are only 3 Williamson County schools that are completely open zoned. Brentwood, Page and I think Fairview. A student must provide their own transportation. This is being allowed because of the overcrowded conditions at the other county high schools. And yes, a student can petition the school board to go to another high school in the county. The way they get around this is to request a class that the school that they want to attend offers, but their zoned school does not. I also believe that it is in the works right now for some more rezoning. Glad I'm not on that school board.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This subject brings on alot of talk and bad feelings............

I don't understand why this subject would bring up bad feelings. It seems to me that it is a subject that is germane for all of the 95 counties in the state. Regarding the "alot of talk" statement, again, shouldn't there be legitimate, honest discussion about the "open zoning" that some counties allow? Like I said previously, I had no idea that this practice was either occurring or allowed in the state and am just curious about the genesis of such rules. If it's purely academic it's understandable however, if the motive is pure athletics, my opinion is that is fundamentally wrong on so many levels that it's indefensible.

Edited by flngrvy

Allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment. Why is it "totally understandable" to simply go wherever you want to go for academic purposes but "indefensible" to do the same for athletic purposes? Respond to this but spare me the student comes first in student-athlete stuff. The reason we may see it as indefensible is that we put so much more emphasis on athletics (i.e. this board) than the other side. I have not looked too hard but, but yet to find the Profesor T web site where 200,000 people post about their biloogy quiz bowl team. Bottom line is people want their kids to go to a school that has the history of W I N N I N G!!! Simple as that in my opinion. So if given a choice, why would they not send them to that particular school (Fill in the blank here)

Allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment. Why is it "totally understandable" to simply go wherever you want to go for academic purposes but "indefensible" to do the same for athletic purposes? Respond to this but spare me the student comes first in student-athlete stuff. The reason we may see it as indefensible is that we put so much more emphasis on athletics (i.e. this board) than the other side. I have not looked too hard but, but yet to find the Profesor T web site where 200,000 people post about their biloogy quiz bowl team. Bottom line is people want their kids to go to a school that has the history of W I N N I N G!!! Simple as that in my opinion. So if given a choice, why would they not send them to that particular school (Fill in the blank here)

I believe they call that recruiting. But, you do have a great CoachT name, though.

Centennial allows open zoning as does Independence as does Ravenwood as does Franklin....so, Williamson County allows open zoning.

CHS...the only students in the county that can choose to come to CHS are Franklin students only at this time. CHs is closed to all other zones.

Indy and Ravenwood are NOT open zoned for anyone at this time...nor will they be under the current circumstances.

Open zoning in WC has more to do with student populations...prevent over-crowded schools and fill empty classrooms in less populated schools.

Maryville, Alcoa, Heritage, and William Blount are all located in Blount County which is adjacent to Knox County. Alcoa (2A) and Maryville (4A) are city schools. They both do allow for tuition students, although they cannot take as many as they used to due to the overcrowding. William Blount and Heritage (both 5A) are county schools and in order to go to either of those, you must live in a certain zone. Once again, WB and Heritage are both overflowing at the seams as well with WB at 1800 and Heritage at 1500.

Respond to this but spare me the student comes first in student-athlete stuff. The reason we may see it as indefensible is that we put so much more emphasis on athletics (i.e. this board) than the other side. I have not looked too hard but, but yet to find the Profesor T web site where 200,000 people post about their biloogy quiz bowl team.

I think you missed the point about the academics. For instance in our county, there may not be certain AP classes available at one high school that any student wants to take. We offer transportation to the school that does offer the course and the student's academic needs are met. The same holds true for certain foreign languages that may only be offered at one of the three high schools, as well as vocational curriculum which is offered in only one high school.

Now, if the open zoning is soley being used because little Johnny and his dad want to play for coach bigdog then you have an entirely different set of circumstances. That being said, I guess it would be up to the local board of education to correct any deficiencies in that area. What would be really intriguing would be to have all 95 counties in the state have open zoning based on athletics. After a while, school A would be known for football, school B for girls basketball, school C for baseball and on and on. Is that scenario a good thing? I have no idea.

Metro Davidson County schools are open zoned if you take a class that is not offered at your zoned school. All of the schools offer a class that the other high schools do not so that kids may attend the school of their choice. The only problem is that kids have to provide their own transportation.

Students are always going to go to schools to play sports and it does really hurt some teams. The real question to open zones is should tuition schools be treated like private schools? Should they be put on a multiplier? For example Alcoa has a large tuition population. Maybe 35% of students. I'm sure all don't play sports, but it is a great help.

I don't know an exact number but 35% may be high. With the overcrowding in county schools parents should be happy that they can pay to send their kid to Alcoa. Alcoa also has better academics than some county shools in the area when you look at test scores and such. They don't pay for students to come to them so IMO they should not be treated like private schools.

I don't know an exact number but 35% may be high. With the overcrowding in county schools parents should be happy that they can pay to send their kid to Alcoa. Alcoa also has better academics than some county shools in the area when you look at test scores and such. They don't pay for students to come to them so IMO they should not be treated like private schools.

The tuition at Alcoa is a bargain. People might not know it but there have been instances of Maryville residents attending Alcoa and Alcoa residents attending Maryville. How should we classify them in the multiplier?

There are five different school systems in Gibson Co.

1. Milan

2. Trenton

3. Humboldt

4. Gibson Co.

5. Bradford

They all have closed zones and it started two years ago because of a COURT order. School boards didn't make this decision, a COURT did. All schools in TN. will be affected by this decision soon enough.

I thought Blount County had a lot with 3 systems.