TSSAA officals

billybobbasketball

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is a double whistle, the two referees are suppose to make eye contact and hold off on any call until they determine which one will take it. Most of the time one of the officials will back off and let the other make the call. I would asssume that both of them came in quick to make the call. Sometimes referees are quick to pull the trigger with the call and this is what you get. It is embarrassing to the officials when this happens. They did do the right thing by reporting both fouls and going to the posession arrow. I promise you, it won't happen again from those two same officials.

If there is a double whistle, the two referees are suppose to make eye contact and hold off on any call until they determine which one will take it. Most of the time one of the officials will back off and let the other make the call. I would asssume that both of them came in quick to make the call. Sometimes referees are quick to pull the trigger with the call and this is what you get. It is embarrassing to the officials when this happens. They did do the right thing by reporting both fouls and going to the posession arrow. I promise you, it won't happen again from those two same officials.

Thanks, I will copy you guys answers back to the poster who was asking question originally. I guess it is like offsetting penalties in FB?

Thanks, I will copy you guys answers back to the poster who was asking question originally. I guess it is like offsetting penalties in FB?

No, that was an example of a bad call. You can't have a charge and a block on the same play unless one of the fouls is away from the ball. If you have simultaneous fouls, then you record the fouls and its a jump ball.

You can't have a charge and a block together, either one or the other.

My top three:

Charging: If I were a high school coach in TN, I would teach my team how to take a charge and spend a lot of time doing it. Acting lessons wouldn't hurt either. Refs love to call the offensive foul. As soon as somebody drives to the basket, get a player to just run under him and fall and the call will go the way of the defender 80% of the time. I think refs get a power trip when they make the offensive "Push"/"Charge" call. Always will be a tough call to make, but the refs in our fine state definitely need a clinic on this call.

5 second count: Watch a lot of refs. Their 5 second count is very inconsistent. Especially if a team is coming back or there is excitement around the score. The count wil speed up (I have seen a 5 second count in 3 seconds or less). Some refs start the count when the defender is 10 feet away, others will not start counting until the defender is 3 feet away.

"Palming" or "carrying" - This is a point of emphasis at the pro and college ranks, yet I am not seeing it in high school. Kids are not taught good fundamental ball handling. Their are point guards that carry the ball every time down the court and get by with it. There is a major unfair advantage for those who get by with it - especially on crossovers where a player will start one way with their dribble and then change direction by cupping the ball (practically catching it with their same hand).

No, that was an example of a bad call. You can't have a charge and a block on the same play unless one of the fouls is away from the ball. If you have simultaneous fouls, then you record the fouls and its a jump ball.

You can't have a charge and a block together, either one or the other.

Also assuming that a "blarge" or a "chock" is a call you can make and the refs call a jump ball for the possession arrow, the basket does not count. However in this case I believe they did go ahead and count the basket didn't they?

Here is one for discussion:

Team A vs. Team B late in the 4th quarter. Team A leads by 3. Team A has 4 subs at the scorers table ready to check in. Team A fouls on a 3 point shot. Team B goes to the line and shoots the first FT. The buzzer sounds and one official motions the subs in. The other official runs up calls a technical for the subs coming onto the floor too early. The officials do not converse. The officials do not give an explanation to Team A’s coach. Team B shoots two more FT’s and then the 2 technical FT’s. Team B takes the ball out side bounds, but the officials still do not allow Team A’s subs in the game. During the next series of play Team A’s best player fouls out. Finally…the officials let Team A’s sub’s in. Too late.

Team B ends up winning by 3.

Here is one for discussion:

Team A vs. Team B late in the 4th quarter. Team A leads by 3. Team A has 4 subs at the scorers table ready to check in. Team A fouls on a 3 point shot. Team B goes to the line and shoots the first FT. The buzzer sounds and one official motions the subs in. The other official runs up calls a technical for the subs coming onto the floor too early. The officials do not converse. The officials do not give an explanation to Team A’s coach. Team B shoots two more FT’s and then the 2 technical FT’s. Team B takes the ball out side bounds, but the officials still do not allow Team A’s subs in the game. During the next series of play Team A’s best player fouls out. Finally…the officials let Team A’s sub’s in. Too late.

Team B ends up winning by 3.

Once the 1st official ruled the subs in, they are in the game, should be no Tech Foul. He could send them back to the table, but probably the horn sounded & the official might not of been aware of how many shots. Subs should enter before the last free throw, however, if they are signaled in, they are in the game. No Tech & if problem, the officials should have come together.

Another thing, Coaches must not of known what had happened because that would have been a correctable error, coach could have called time out (without being charged) to get it corrected. Sounds like more than the officials, the coaches let it go.

Once the 1st official ruled the subs in, they are in the game, should be no Tech Foul. He could send them back to the table, but probably the horn sounded & the official might not of been aware of how many shots. Subs should enter before the last free throw, however, if they are signaled in, they are in the game. No Tech & if problem, the officials should have come together.

Another thing, Coaches must not of known what had happened because that would have been a correctable error, coach could have called time out (without being charged) to get it corrected. Sounds like more than the officials, the coaches let it go.

Was this a hypethetical situation or did said events really take place?

All too often we (coaches and fans) jump on refs who are doing their best. Human errors happen. Both reffing and coaching and playing. But occasionally ...

The William Blount girls were playing at Oak Ridge around Thanksgiving in a tournament. It was a Saturday game vs Marietta high. This one certain ref ... who sent one of our players out of the game because after he gave her a shirt warning he wasn't satisfied with how she tucked her shirt in -- t'ed up our coach because he said "you've got to be kidding me" after one of his girls was obviously hacked on a shot. Our coach asked to talk to the ref--very calmly--to find out why he was so quick to t him ... no warnings or anything. There was no bad langauage involved -- not stomping, just a very uncalled for "t". This referee just threw his hand up and refused to talk to our coach.

Some of the WB fans got on him some and then it became obvious he was prejudiced against WB. On once occasion, he watched while a Marietta girl punched one of our girls and he called nothing. Later, when a foul was called on a Marietta girl she went nuts ... I heard her "f" bomb in the bleachers ... she was standing right in front of this ref ... she continued to rant and rave, even though her own teammates were grabbing her and pulling her away and trying to get her to calm down. It was one of the worst displays of sportsmanship I've ever witnessed and this referee refused to call anything or even acknowledge what was going on. It was sad .. and it was why, sometimes, referees should have to answer to someone.

I think most refs try to do a good job overall. Their job is tougher than any other and is very thankless. It is funny actually when you consider that every time they blow their whistle they upset half the people in the gym :)

What bothers me more than bad refs are rednecked fans who have no class.

Even though it is not basketball the absolutely worse no call I have personally seen was when Temple played Friendship this season in football and a punt receiver for Friendship clearly signalled a fair catch, let the ball drop, picked it up and ran it for about fifty yards and not one ref would rule on it. When the Temple coaches were hollering about it, the refs just held their hands up as if to tell them to just be quiet.