TSSAA officals

billybobbasketball

Spy, go get you a whistle, a striped shirt, black slacks, black shoes, a jacket, pay your dues, take the test, and put a full tank of gas in your car THEN go referee and tell us how it really is.

No official goes out to shaft a team! An official's shirt has a black stripe on it and an white one. That means they are to be even for both. Referees referee the game in front of them! Geeker is right on it! Besides, I'd be willing to bet you would even fail the rules test so there is no need to take this conversation any further!

I thought your shirts had more than 2 stripes? Explains why you guys have so much trouble with a 3 and 5 count. I never said you guys were out to shaft a team. But it has happened. I agree that you guys have a tough task in calling games. I'll even agree that I probably couldn't do any better myself. But some things I would do. I would listen to a coach when he thinks I'm missing something. Maybe take a sec on a dead ball and let him know I will be watching for it. Then I would make an attempt to look for what he's complaining about. Same goes for a player. If a player talked to me the right way, I would at least listen, and look for what he's talking about. I would have enough pride in wanting to call a good game and enough sense to know I couldn't see everything to realize maybe I did miss something.

But you also pointed out part of the problem. You basically told me you guys are buying a job as a ref. I don't think you guys should have to buy any equipment. It should be furnished by the TSSAA. But at the same time there should be a little more accountability.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a ref and I have seen some refs that are so awful and lazy that it makes me want to puke. And yes there are some refs out to screw a particular team. Most of them aren't, but there are some. And I think if the coaches had a say in the refs salary, then there would be better refs. Have a set of district refs, at the end of the year, have the coaches vote on the best ones, and have them get paid more than the ones who don't get voted on. But I do think something needs to be done, because some of these guys are awful and just flat out don't know the rules. And yes I've taken the test, and I fill my car with gas, and go ref and get yelled at and the whole nine yards.