The team is built around Papi not Drew and it has been proven that a power hitters best production years are between the ages of 30-35 so in essence if he can stay healthy these next few years are his best. But like you said it all comes down to health. Drew has proven he can hit when healthy and let me add that he is an above average outfielder.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solomon you are way to critical of people. Do you believe everything you read? If you do then go to bostonglobe.com and read J.D.'s response to this issue of not caring. Was he overpaid? Yes but so is every free agent in the market this year. His injuries have been do to beanings not because his body gave out. You are also quick to write off the Red Sox. Because of abrasive personalities? What are you kidding me? Big Papi is the type of guy you want in the family and if you are talking about Manny then may I say there nothing abrasive about him. He is the polar opposite of abrasive he just needs a kick in the pants. Curt Schilling is the vocal one but nobody is more of a team guy than him. (note 04 World Series) It is easy to set in the catbird seat and make potshots at a guy who has played injured but until you walk a mile... Also I am not jumping on the J.D. Drew bandwagon because I am Redsox fan. I get the extra innings package and I caught alot of Dodger games last year and let me tell you this guy is very disiplined at the plate. He has a high obp and can hit the ball to any field. The last 3 years he has 5th best ops of any Major League outfielder. You mean to tell me you would not take Papi, Manny, and Drew in your lineup? If you say no then I say "Wow".

You forget how many games I have watched with Drew in the lineup. Sorry, I am not a fan. I was for a long, long time, but after this latest round of opting out of his contract, he has proven that he is a "money first, win if it happens" player. He will get hurt, he will miss a bunch of games, and he will have trouble with the Boston fans. He may have all the tools needed to be a great player, but I dont think he has "it." If he does, he's never shown it. Maybe LaRussa described it best when he said he would settle on just being 75% of the player he could be. When the guy was healthy, I never got the impression that he really cared. You can be quiet, reserved, whatever, and still can show that you have a fire. David Eckstein is a current Cardinal who is a great example of someone who does. I've never seen it the first time out of Drew. 95% of his image is also self-made. I don't feel sorry for him and stand by my opinions 100%.

Solomon maybe you are jaded because you looked to Drew to carry the load when he was in St. Louis. In Boston that is not needed because everyone knows it is on Big Papi's shoulders. I think he can thrive as the 3rd best hitter in the lineup who is not wanting the spotlight. If you ask the Dodgers they would tell you that he will be missed and that they were disappointed he optioned out of his contract. I do not think I can change your mind on this but I am willing to give him a chance. Is there any doubt when he is healthy about what he can do? The Redsox philosophy is that they look for guys that are patient at the plate with good obp. He fits this mold and can he become anymore of a distraction than Manny phoning it in for the last six weeks of the year? I think he flys under the radar and helps this lineup and oh by the way he replaces Trot Nixon who has missed more time than Drew. No offense to Trot who I admire but he can not stay out of the hospital. Like everyone has said it comes down to health. If he is not healthy then I look like an idiot but if he plays I will look like a genius because this guy can play the game and sometimes a new surrounding helps a guy. Look at Will Clark or a Jim Edmonds when they went to your Cardinals. It helped when they found the right match.

Solomon maybe you are jaded because you looked to Drew to carry the load when he was in St. Louis. In Boston that is not needed because everyone knows it is on Big Papi's shoulders. I think he can thrive as the 3rd best hitter in the lineup who is not wanting the spotlight. If you ask the Dodgers they would tell you that he will be missed and that they were disappointed he optioned out of his contract. I do not think I can change your mind on this but I am willing to give him a chance. Is there any doubt when he is healthy about what he can do? The Redsox philosophy is that they look for guys that are patient at the plate with good obp. He fits this mold and can he become anymore of a distraction than Manny phoning it in for the last six weeks of the year? I think he flys under the radar and helps this lineup and oh by the way he replaces Trot Nixon who has missed more time than Drew. No offense to Trot who I admire but he can not stay out of the hospital. Like everyone has said it comes down to health. If he is not healthy then I look like an idiot but if he plays I will look like a genius because this guy can play the game and sometimes a new surrounding helps a guy. Look at Will Clark or a Jim Edmonds when they went to your Cardinals. It helped when they found the right match.

Nope, not jaded at all. He was never "the man" to put the weight on his shoulders in St. Louis. McGwire, Lankford, Edmonds, Pujols, Renteria, and Rolen were always around when he was there. He was always the third best hitter or lower when there. Valid point on who he replaces.

Renteria....now there I am jaded. I enjoyed nothing more than watching him flop in Boston in 05. Might be the best example of what you might get with Drew. Then again, most Boston fans were expecting big things from him too. Most Sox fans don't understand why they signed Drew, much less for $70 million. So maybe he will succeed.

Sol what do you think about Bonds going back to San Fran? I personally think that was his only choice at playing at a place that would have received him well. I also think the Giants know they will stink and this may be their only chance at selling tickets. Anyway I do not care how many homers he hits I will not recognize him as the record holder. Bonds is a blackeye to the game and unfortunately he has been the face of whats bad about Baseball. Now the casual fan thinks all these guys cheat. It is a shame. :lol:

Sol what do you think about Bonds going back to San Fran? I personally think that was his only choice at playing at a place that would have received him well. I also think the Giants know they will stink and this may be their only chance at selling tickets. Anyway I do not care how many homers he hits I will not recognize him as the record holder. Bonds is a blackeye to the game and unfortunately he has been the face of whats bad about Baseball. Now the casual fan thinks all these guys cheat. It is a shame. ;)

Much better there than in St. Louis as was being rumored yesterday. :lol:

Yeah. Another year of putting up with Barry. He obviously only cares about breaking the record not about winning a World Series. I think someone could use a Ouija board and pick better players than the Giants have this off-season. I would guess on another season with between 70 and 80 wins even though the teams in their division pretty much stink.

Do you really think if Bonds had signed with any other team but the Giants that the fans would've accepted him at his new team.....I don't think so...