TSSAA Legislative Council Meeting

TheGreatLineJudge

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it will be that big of a deal if tournaments are only counting 3 each. That leaves 23 matches and with very few schools playing tri-matches anymore, I don't hink its that big of a deal. What i honestly have a hard tome understanding (and this comes from a volleyball/basketball coach), is why basketball can practice and scrimmage in June and July but volleyball can't start until July 15 when vb season comes before basketball.

The Tennesseean says that schedule is reduced from 45 to 35, if that answers your question. Personally, I am not for sure, just going by their article.

If this is so, that's just B***S***. We had our matches reduced just last season! I think we should just eliminate volleyball as a TSSAA sport and have club year round (okay, I'm joking, don't anybody get worked up).

Honestly, though, the season is short. Every year it get shorter. How long before we have a 6 week "rec-style" league? You know, the kind where they practice once a week and play once a week? Add to that the disgrace they call a State Tournament and what we have is a sport with no respect and not likely to ever get any.

<stepping down off my soapbox>

If this is so, that's just B***S***. We had our matches reduced just last season! I think we should just eliminate volleyball as a TSSAA sport and have club year round (okay, I'm joking, don't anybody get worked up).

Honestly, though, the season is short. Every year it get shorter. How long before we have a 6 week "rec-style" league? You know, the kind where they practice once a week and play once a week? Add to that the disgrace they call a State Tournament and what we have is a sport with no respect and not likely to ever get any.

<stepping down off my soapbox>

I agree, but my question is this: What does the TSSAA think that they are accomplishing by this? If you are not playing, then you are practicing for 2 hours or so those days, so you are not "freeing up" time for the kids to do "other" things. I just don't get it. :)

The Tennesseean says that schedule is reduced from 45 to 35, if that answers your question. Personally, I am not for sure, just going by their article.

How soon we forget and while it makes no difference now, it will jump up. There may be 3 issues here that are prominent.

Yes, the season being so compact as far as playing dates are concerned from July 15th till State Tournament, teams do wind up, in many cases playing about every day. Seems as if the date the season really starts could be a week earlier and give players those extra days, not having to play.

What about the infamous change in State Tournament Format? Where does that stand?

And third, since the TSSAA seems to have washed their hands of it, what has been done in the Official Selection Process for State Tournaments. And who is responsible for it. is their someone in the TSSAA that has anything to do with this hot topic? Creditability is at stake here.

And I guess there is a fourth issue that is more a School issue and that is how many schools that have Mega Tournaments are really going to examine the Match film making and Still picture procedures and use it for a means of making extra money for a program in regular season. It seems the schools has at its disposure the means of controlling the issue during regular season but not during State Tournament times and might have to be careful how that is allowed and use it as a possible revenue producer if they allow a third party to do that or is that right. It is interesting how unique that can be carried with the ability to put a picture on a Tee shirt along with Team Names.

How's that for rehashing and getting the blood moving in December?

And GLJ, don't step out quite yet. Just thinking of a few untidy, unheard of issues and surely TSSAA noticed the interest of the first three and had some conversation about the impact and developed a plan. And surely there has been an accounting during this time of how VB did as a sport this year with the schools along with a projection of players playing and how did the TSSAA come out with their State Tournament revenue issue. Is there any changes in the way it is held so Fans might have an input before it is sprung just before a Tournament. There had to be a reporting done of some if not all of these issues.

What is interesting about this sport since it and Soccer are the first sports to be held during the school year, all of the planning has to be done before the next school year starts.

And the last thing and i will stop here. Football is proceeding on the have 7 player football in the summer with a full schedule. What opportunities does this give (if any) for volleyball? Is there, in some areas, the opportunities to do something or is everything covered by Club who in essence plays most of the matches out of state and has not developed the local State play as much as they really should have. Either club needs to develop a Local State strategy to improve accessability or accept the fact that someone might think of this alternative if the numbers can be worked out. Or a new generation of clubs, more local and more in state, might be looked at as an alternative.

And here comes GLJ and T saying there are too many iss ues on this to include in one topic. may be so but interesting to see how many are out there or if hibernation has set in. Some of this might need to be on the other posting site.

Edited by PHargis

I went back and double-checked our schedule this past season and we played 23 "regular matches" (2 matches were cancelled) and 4 tournaments for a total of 33 matches (as they calculate it). I know we maxed out our schedule, per the state rules. Also, in the 4 tournaments we played, we had a total of 28 matches. When you add in the District, Region and State Tournament, we played a total of 58 matches for the year! I believe our girls played plenty of matches, when you look at it on a per week basis (regular season), we averaged 3.3 matches M - F and 4 matches a weekend, based on the 7 weeks allowed for the "regular" season. What I liked best about the reduction this past season, was it truly cut down on the number of "multiple" matches in one night, during the week. I think that was a good thing. Now, whether or not the season itself (# of weeks) should be longer, I would say yes, maybe by at least another week or 2.

Not being a big follower of high school volleyball, I'm really not sure what normal is. I knew they played quite a few matches, but didn't know exactly how many. But then I read in the Tennessean the other day about axing it down from 45 to 35, I was like "Dang, that cut nearly a fourth of their season away!" Why something so drastic, when other sports were just cut by 1 or 2. I was reading down the list and it really shocked me, 'cause it was so much more than any other sport.

I stated this earlier and would like to clarify again. The decrease in matches will be basically non noticable because of the fact that tournaments will be only counted as 3 matches. Most of your good programs will play the 4 tourney max which will only count 12 of your 35 total. Any of you who have been around the sport know that while counting as 3 matches, you will get a minimum of 6 and up to 10 matches in most tournaments. There is no way that a school that doesn't play tri-matches (which hardly anyone does anymore with the 3 of 5 format we went to a few yerars back) will play 23 more single matches during the season.

My team for example plays 4 tourneys (12 matches per TSSAA), 12 district matches, and would still be left with 11 more matches i could play against non district copmpetition. The only way this rule makes a difference is if you play all tri matches or the TSSAA actually made you count exactly how many matches were played during a weekend tourney.

You will continue to see a state champion with a record like 54-5 even though they say only 35 reg season matches because of the reasons above.

I stated this earlier and would like to clarify again. The decrease in matches will be basically non noticable because of the fact that tournaments will be only counted as 3 matches. Most of your good programs will play the 4 tourney max which will only count 12 of your 35 total. Any of you who have been around the sport know that while counting as 3 matches, you will get a minimum of 6 and up to 10 matches in most tournaments. There is no way that a school that doesn't play tri-matches (which hardly anyone does anymore with the 3 of 5 format we went to a few yerars back) will play 23 more single matches during the season.

My team for example plays 4 tourneys (12 matches per TSSAA), 12 district matches, and would still be left with 11 more matches i could play against non district copmpetition. The only way this rule makes a difference is if you play all tri matches or the TSSAA actually made you count exactly how many matches were played during a weekend tourney.

You will continue to see a state champion with a record like 54-5 even though they say only 35 reg season matches because of the reasons above.

Your explanation make a lot more sense to me now. I guess we couldn't really play anymore unless the season was longer or TSSAA allowed more tournament play (I wish that were true). I remember some years back we were allowed more pre-season scrimmages also.

Thank goodness there are no more tri-matches being played. The first year of 3/5 play was brutal as TSSAA still expected tri-matches to be held and we didn't leave the gym until 10pm or later many nights.

Okay, I'm not so steamed about this anymore. :lol:

Edited by play4keeps