TSSAA Legislative Council Meeting

TheGreatLineJudge

Not being a big follower of high school volleyball, I'm really not sure what normal is. I knew they played quite a few matches, but didn't know exactly how many. But then I read in the Tennessean the other day about axing it down from 45 to 35, I was like "Dang, that cut nearly a fourth of their season away!" Why something so drastic, when other sports were just cut by 1 or 2. I was reading down the list and it really shocked me, 'cause it was so much more than any other sport.

I'm pretty sure the Tennessean has their facts wrong. The match count was 35 this past season, using the exact same formula.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure the Tennessean has their facts wrong. The match count was 35 this past season, using the exact same formula.

If you look at other states and amount of matches they play, TN is a little out of whack. I think 50-60 matches in a season is a bit much. Playing Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday can be too much...in my opinion.

Playing a quad mactch on a Sat is a good idea. You can choose who you play and you are not in a gym for 9 hours. Half the teams you play in most tournaments are pretty bad to begin with.

Just a prospective.

you all still haven't touched on the worst rule change of all. the new 50% participation rule. If passed this spring, you will only be allowed to retain 50% of players from a club team to prevent "year round" sports. Hello!!! Football. A quick explanation. In soccer, the sport I coach, we have 11 on the field, so we may only retain 6 players from the same "non school team". This is 50% rounded up. In basketball it would be 3 from the same AAU team. I am not sure the numbers in volleyball, but the rule will affect this sport as well as baseball and softball which have traveling teams. Soccer is fighting this by going through TSSAA local reps and administration. Hope volleyball will do the same, so we can defeat this stupid rule.