The First 5x State Champion

In Hoc Signo Vinces

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Cuthbertson (Scottsboro)

>First and only (so far)....5x AHSAA Class 5A State Champion

>160 (2005), 160 (2004), 135 (2003), 125 (2002), 103 (2001)

>48-0 as a senior

>175-4 for his career

>3.7 GPA (advanced courses), National Honor Society member

RMC-

Sorry. This thread got by me somehow. :thumb:

The AHSAA has always allowed the smaller schools (e.g., Weaver ~ hence, Sutton the 6xer and Wells the 5xer) to compete early (6th-8th grades) because of the size of the school. They recently (around 2000?) allowed 7th-8th graders to compete on varsity squads of 5A and 6A schools if (and only if) that middle school only fed one high school.

Michael C. was the real deal. Younger brothers (twins) Chase & Kyle are on the same t@@@@ as juniors this year.

Tyler Osborn (Hoover) will be going for his 5th title this year as a senior. If he succeeds, he'll be the first ever to do it in AHSAA Class 6A (largest schools).

No Seth Garvin, huh?

he did, but politics got in the way,now he is blue

politics = Bailey Whitaker

There is an 8th grader wrestling at Greenback @103 this year who will make a lot of noise this year at the state tournament. Jeremy or something he is pretty tough.

Anyone who has been around youth wrestling for the past several years know that Jeremy Miller is a contender.

If I remember correctly Jordan was the starter at 103 1st semister, the119 droped to 112 and beat Carson so carson dropped. Jordan had already burned his Middle school eligibility so was allowed to challenge. Claytor started as an 8th grader and he and Matt were both going to be in the line-up anyway just not sure where. I do not believe Brad Lane beat out a returning letterman. For as long as I can recall This year was handled exactly the same as in previous years.

Not disagreeing with you at all, I think it was handled the correct way also

If I remember correctly Jordan was the starter at 103 1st semister, the119 droped to 112 and beat Carson so carson dropped. Jordan had already burned his Middle school eligibility so was allowed to challenge. Claytor started as an 8th grader and he and Matt were both going to be in the line-up anyway just not sure where. I do not believe Brad Lane beat out a returning letterman. For as long as I can recall This year was handled exactly the same as in previous years.

You are correct, sir. As I recall, with a little help from the wise child: Provenzano and Thompson planned to go 119 / 125. Neither could make it.

A few years later, several weeks into the season Stokes Doster cut from 119 to 112 leaving Carson to challenge Leen, unsucessfully.

The following year, Rankin Morgan got hurt, and Lane was brought up. (Not at the beginning of the season).

Lesson learned: the best laid plans are subject to weight issues, injuries, and kids finding that they just can't compete like they thought at a certain weight.

You are correct, sir. As I recall, with a little help from the wise child: Provenzano and Thompson planned to go 119 / 125. Neither could make it.

A few years later, several weeks into the season Stokes Doster cut from 119 to 112 leaving Carson to challenge Leen, unsucessfully.

The following year, Rankin Morgan got hurt, and Lane was brought up. (Not at the beginning of the season).

Lesson learned: the best laid plans are subject to weight issues, injuries, and kids finding that they just can't compete like they thought at a certain weight.

Brad Lane wrestled against SD in the 1st match of the season, wrestled John Lane and got injured, he was out until Christmas. I forgot about Rankin, thanks for clearing things up.

Actually, when Doster cut to 112(after the Bradley Invitational which Baylor won) , Will Carson did in fact BEAT Jordan Leen in a challenge match at 103. Carson was a true 103 pounder(weighed about 100) and had been wrestling at 112 because Baylor did not have a 112 pounder that year.

Leen weighed about 94-95 lbs. and was wrestling 103. However, Carson had already weighed in at 112 for over half of his total matches and was not eligible to wrestle in the state at 103. The coaches used both Carson and Leen at 103 for the rest of the season and they did have one more challenge match and Leen won it 2-0. They only had 2 challenge matches and ended up 1-1. So for all of you trivia fans....Who was the only Baylor wrestler to beat Jordan Leen in a challenge match at Baylor? Answer....Will Carson.