The First 5x State Champion

In Hoc Signo Vinces

I believe Alabama has had a couple of 6X state champs. Maybe BamaGrappler can chime in here.

Michael Cuthbertson (Scottsboro)

>First and only (so far)....5x AHSAA Class 5A State Champion

>160 (2005), 160 (2004), 135 (2003), 125 (2002), 103 (2001)

>48-0 as a senior

>175-4 for his career

>3.7 GPA (advanced courses), National Honor Society member

RMC-

Sorry. This thread got by me somehow. :lol:

The AHSAA has always allowed the smaller schools (e.g., Weaver ~ hence, Sutton the 6xer and Wells the 5xer) to compete early (6th-8th grades) because of the size of the school. They recently (around 2000?) allowed 7th-8th graders to compete on varsity squads of 5A and 6A schools if (and only if) that middle school only fed one high school.

Michael C. was the real deal. Younger brothers (twins) Chase & Kyle are on the same track as juniors this year.

Tyler Osborn (Hoover) will be going for his 5th title this year as a senior. If he succeeds, he'll be the first ever to do it in AHSAA Class 6A (largest schools).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dad45,

Hate to say you are wrong, but, you are wrong. If the midlle school is on the same campus as the high school, the 8th grader can wresle for the high school. Therefore, there can be a 5x champion in Tennessee, even in Chattanooga, as the middle school for McCallie and Baylor are on the same campus.

Rethink.

TCB.

Hoosierdad you are right about that but metro Nashville schools regulate things differently . If you are an alumni your not suppose to go back and wrestle any of the students . I think he can demonstrate moves to the coach but not students. He has to be a metro school teacher to do any coaching.

Rudy (or would Radio be more appropriate) - the facts are exactly as I always state them. Stuart D is also an 8th grader hence wrestling in the Harpeth Inv. Do you ever read before you type? Isn't it time for you to go back and assemble some more ink pins?

Mr Simpson and Mr Dostor are fine young wrestlers and any "he would be him because he beat someone else who beat him" is Rudyish speculation.

Soms, you sure do make alot of money assembling ink pens to have that big house and raise your 10-12-14 kids. Is there an art to that? Do they offer an apprenticship program for eager young minds? Do they ''only teach it on Thursdays at K-Mart after George Wapner... after George Wapner?'' :angry:

dad45,

Hate to say you are wrong, but, you are wrong. If the midlle school is on the same campus as the high school, the 8th grader can wresle for the high school. Therefore, there can be a 5x champion in Tennessee, even in Chattanooga, as the middle school for McCallie and Baylor are on the same campus.

Rethink.

TCB.

Taylor Abrigo at Forrest High School was an eighth grader who qualified for state last year Div 1. Forrest middle and high school are on the same campus.

he was an idiot savant.....

idiot savant

n. pl. idiot savants

An intellectually disabled person who exhibits extraordinary ability in a highly specialized area, such as mathematics or music.

[French : idiot, idiot + savant, learned.]

.........specialized area, such as mathematics, music or wrestling.

I'm searching my poor memory and am drawing a blank. Can you provide some names.

Jordan Leen (8th grade) beat out Will Carson (9th grade)

Matt Provenzano (8th grade) beat out Claytor Thompson (9th grade)

Brad Lane (8th grade ) beat out ???? cant seem to recall the wrestler

I have posted on this subject before. Baylor "usually" does not bring up any 8th graders unless they are needed to fill a spot, but as I recall these situations were different, even though I think all of the wrestlers involved were attempting to break into the line-up in some way.

Jordan Leen (8th grade) beat out Will Carson (9th grade)

Matt Provenzano (8th grade) beat out Claytor Thompson (9th grade)

Brad Lane (8th grade ) beat out ???? cant seem to recall the wrestler

I have posted on this subject before. Baylor "usually" does not bring up any 8th graders unless they are needed to fill a spot, but as I recall these situations were different, even though I think all of the wrestlers involved were attempting to break into the line-up in some way.

If I remember correctly Jordan was the starter at 103 1st semister, the119 droped to 112 and beat Carson so carson dropped. Jordan had already burned his Middle school eligibility so was allowed to challenge. Claytor started as an 8th grader and he and Matt were both going to be in the line-up anyway just not sure where. I do not believe Brad Lane beat out a returning letterman. For as long as I can recall This year was handled exactly the same as in previous years.