TSSAA officals & Bruce Pearl

WaCoJaCo

Are TSSAA officals throwing Bruce Pearl out of games just to make a name for themselves? Do they have nothing to hang their hat on but to be able to read their name in the paper for throwing Bruce out of a game? If you have been to a High School Basketball game you know their are people yelling at the refs. the entire game and you rarely see anyone tosed. Bruce Pearl yells out "Let them play" and a ref. stops the game and throws him out. Well congradulations to the ref., you got your name in the paper. Now everybody know's what a worm you are.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there was an article in the paper and the refs name was not mentioned. i do think it was an idiotic thing to do. the article stated the ref got a school official to "remove" coach pearl. he was later allowed to reenter the gym. i spoke with people at the game and it seemed to be something that was not warranted at all. coach pearl is going to do great things and run a clean program at UT and hopefully bring the program back to the days of the "ernie and bernie" glory days of UT basketball.

Are TSSAA officals throwing Bruce Pearl out of games just to make a name for themselves? Do they have nothing to hang their hat on but to be able to read their name in the paper for throwing Bruce out of a game? If you have been to a High School Basketball game you know their are people yelling at the refs. the entire game and you rarely see anyone tosed. Bruce Pearl yells out "Let them play" and a ref. stops the game and throws him out. Well congradulations to the ref., you got your name in the paper. Now everybody know's what a worm you are.

Think you had best check your "facts." As is noted here, the official(s) are never mentioned. What we all should be concerned about is the sensational headlines in the Chattanooga paper, describing Pearl as being "Yanked" from the gym. Turns out the truth was a little less dramatic and eye-catching. As for the official(s) making a name for himself/themselves, what about Pearl? Do you suppose some officials kicked him out of his own son's game last year because the official was trying to make a name for himself, too? Does Pearl realize that he is in a position of responsibility? that he is a public person who is supposed to be some sort of example? I notice that a UT official commenting on the event described Pearl as "ebullient" and "passionate." Like Bobby Knight and Woody Hayes? College basketball coaches have become showmen in many cases, often detracting from the players they are supposed to be helping and serving.

Think you had best check your "facts." As is noted here, the official(s) are never mentioned. What we all should be concerned about is the sensational headlines in the Chattanooga paper, describing Pearl as being "Yanked" from the gym. Turns out the truth was a little less dramatic and eye-catching. As for the official(s) making a name for himself/themselves, what about Pearl? Do you suppose some officials kicked him out of his own son's game last year because the official was trying to make a name for himself, too? Does Pearl realize that he is in a position of responsibility? that he is a public person who is supposed to be some sort of example? I notice that a UT official commenting on the event described Pearl as "ebullient" and "passionate." Like Bobby Knight and Woody Hayes? College basketball coaches have become showmen in many cases, often detracting from the players they are supposed to be helping and serving.

So you actually think Pearl was out of line by yelling "Let them Play" at a basketball game. Do you actually think this Ref's name will not be broadcast all over the state the next few days?

Pearl was singled out because of who he is and not because of what he said. If your going to throw people out for what he said then your not going to have many fans left to watch the games. Nor will you have many coaches left on the bench. Been to a High School basketball game lately?

Edited by WaCoJaCo

I dont hear or see any other college coaches or recruiters gettn thrown out of games.Pearl is crazy.Y he cant sit their like any other coaches and watch the player(s) that he is recruitn and quit tryn to draw attention to himself? Everybody know who he is.I was at the Hoopfest and Tubby Smith was there.He never said anything and all he did was watch the game and sign autograghs in between games.Carried himself in a professional manner.

I dont hear or see any other college coaches or recruiters gettn thrown out of games.Pearl is crazy.Y he cant sit their like any other coaches and watch the player(s) that he is recruitn and quit tryn to draw attention to himself? Everybody know who he is.I was at the Hoopfest and Tubby Smith was there.He never said anything and all he did was watch the game and sign autograghs in between games.Carried himself in a professional manner.

Pearl and professional manner are not in the same sentence.

It seems as though the officials have their mind on everything else but what is transpiring on the court. When did the officials start becoming so concerned with what's going on everywhere else in the arena except the court? It is really becoming ridiculous with some of these guys. I'm not defending Pearl, but for the past few years these guys seem like their looking in the stands and on the bench more than at the players on the floor.

So this thread is a meeting of the "Bruce Pearl Haters" now.

In the wake of the world class egg Memphis laid in Knoxville I'm not attempting to "hate" on Pearl but I've never heard of any other big name coach getting kicked out of a high school game while on the recruiting trail. I believe he was indeed kicked out for who he was but not so the ref could " one-up" him. The guy was there to watch a player and there was probably nothing wrong with what he said. The thing is that Pearl is the head coach of an up and coming program in a major conference and is getting more well-known. If Tubby Smith, John Calipari, Bill Self, Lute Olsen, Billy Donovan, Rick Pitino, or Roy Williams did anything like that they might get kicked out too.

Pearl will be fine. This won't affect his recruiting or the Vols in general. It's really much ado about nothing.

If it was not Bruce Pearl then he wouldnt have been kicked out. Im sure they were parents and students yelling things 50 times worse. And I know that he should be held to a higher standard and yall that junk, but his name got him kicked out not his actions.

And he may not be the poster boy for being classy but what has he done that was not classy?