Top candidates for BA job

FBFan2001

With the talent on board (and not to offend any of the prospects)...anyone should be successful coaching them next year. It's called Chris Jordan sweep left, Chris Jordan sweep right.

Chris Jordan is a man among boys. Beside his offensive skills, I was impressed with his defensive skills in the secondary by knocking down a pass when the game is on the line to save a victory.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just not that complicated, imo. You have a legendary coach. He built the program from nothing into a championship program. He sunk his heart and soul into it for 30 years, and after a few years away, he wanted to come back to it. Tom Moore got the shaft, no two ways about it. No way this was a decision made by any headmaster or anything like that. The guy who built the program--who WAS the program--wanted to come back to the program. How do you say "no?" Maybe it's right, maybe it's wrong. But certain people, by virtue of extraordinary accomplishments, have earned certain rights and privileges. I'd say the whole thing is not dissimilar to Pat Riley/Stan Van Gundy and the Heat last year.

I couldn't tell you all the details--I will consult my copy of "Hit the Red Gate Running"--but I'm quite certain Coach Owen left MBA twice. Once to go with Fred Fisher to Vanderbilt, and once to work with CF at BA. I have no idea what the circumstances were of his return in either case....but I think he was only gone in the late 70s for a period similar to that of CF at BA. If I had to speculate, I'd say that if MBA had a young coach like Tom Moore holding down the fort, and Tommy Owen said "I want to come back to MBA" after a couple of years away, well, then MBA would clear the way for him to come back, hurt feelings or not. I'm not saying that happened--I'd like to research it more--but I could see something like that happening.

I'll save you the research time. Owen left MBA after the '70 season, Fred Fisher's junior year, and went to Bill Pace's Vanderbilt staff. Ray Ridgeway took over the program. In '71, they lost to Covington in the state playoffs (Fisher's final game). His records in subsequent years were 6-4, 9-2 (Tobacco bowl win), 6-4, 5-5 (injury decimated team), and 2-8. At that point there was a large drop off in participation between freshman and JV/Varsity football. Owen came back to MBA beginning in the '77 season. I'm nto sure at what point he left Vanderbilt. He was hired by Pace, who left after Owen's first year as an assistant. I don't believe he was on Sloan's staff, but I can't say that for sure.

Mature and extremely witty. In fact that quote was comedic genius. Thanks for making these boards a better place with your sharp intellect and tremendous grasp of high school football knowledge. Comparing a great Christian man and coaching legend to a villain from a space movie was extremely tactful and appropriate. Please post more often.

To borrow a tag from PanFan:

Happy Trails---- DARTH VADER!!!!!

I'll save you the research time. Owen left MBA after the '70 season, Fred Fisher's junior year, and went to Bill Pace's Vanderbilt staff. Ray Ridgeway took over the program. In '71, they lost to Covington in the state playoffs (Fisher's final game). His records in subsequent years were 6-4, 9-2 (Tobacco bowl win), 6-4, 5-5 (injury decimated team), and 2-8. At that point there was a large drop off in participation between freshman and JV/Varsity football. Owen came back to MBA beginning in the '77 season. I'm nto sure at what point he left Vanderbilt. He was hired by Pace, who left after Owen's first year as an assistant. I don't believe he was on Sloan's staff, but I can't say that for sure.

gotcha...thanks. I thought it was twice but I guess it was just one long period. I think he spent a few of those years on Flatt's staff at BA. Does that sound right?

Mature and extremely witty. In fact that quote was comedic genius. Thanks for making these boards a better place with your sharp intellect and tremendous grasp of high school football knowledge. Comparing a great Christian man and coaching legend to a villain from a space movie was extremely tactful and appropriate. Please post more often.

And May The Force Be With You :lol:

Feliz Navidad :lol:

gotcha...thanks. I thought it was twice but I guess it was just one long period. I think he spent a few of those years on Flatt's staff at BA. Does that sound right?

I know that he was at BA; I can't imagine one of the finest coaches in history would have been there and not been active in football. There was a story that he was coaching from the pressbox in the '75 MBA-BA microbe game, a vital fixture in the Harpeth Valley Athletic Confrerence schedule at that time. Probably no truth in it, but it made a good story.

Edited by KWoodroof

Who are all the candidates for this job besides Rector and the ones who have withdrawn their names?

I hope BA does not realize the talent they have right here in there own backyard (Brentwood) with Brian Rector of Ravenwood, that guy is not only a great X's and O's coach but he is the most commanding coaching presence I have ever been around. He should probably be a motivational speaker once he is done with football. I couldn't blame him for taking that job if it was offered but I would like it if he stayed a Raptor.

I hope BA does not realize the talent they have right here in there own backyard (Brentwood) with Brian Rector of Ravenwood, that guy is not only a great X's and O's coach but he is the most commanding coaching presence I have ever been around. He should probably be a motivational speaker once he is done with football. I couldn't blame him for taking that job if it was offered but I would like it if he stayed a Raptor.

You've come out of hiding??????

When will BA make a decision?

Don't know, but I'd expect something pretty quick in the new year. The search was suspended while the headmaster was in the hospital for surgery. He is at home recovering and is expected to be back on his feet for the start of the next semester. I'm sure it's a priority . . .