Any word on the coaching decision?

datoppers

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if Rankin ends up at Science Hill that will mean two things. One good and one bad. A team from Northeast Tn. will finaly win a State Championship and it will be the end of Graham Clark's string of wins over the Hilltoppers.

They might beat D-B. And they might replace the Indians as the media darlings and be voted #1 on occasion. But winning the state? :thumb:

They might beat D-B. And they might replace the Indians as the media darlings and be voted #1 on occasion. But winning the state? :huh:

Assuming Rankin, does come to Science Hill, you must admit, judging by his record . . . I would say the Toppers have a better than average chance at state.

The Tornadoes' first-year coach led Alcoa to a 13-2 record and its third consecutive Class 2A state championship earlier this month.

Prior to Alcoa, Rankin led the Warriors to state titles in 2004, 2001, 1997 and 1994. After guiding to Riverdale to the 5A finals every year from 2000 to 2004.

Not to shabby . . . but he isn't at the Hill yet. So I'm not counting any chickens before they hatch.

My first impression is that the Alcoa thing has that feel to it. However, it has been a long time since this started. I mean...someone should have bitten by now. We are discussing it from inside looking out. We should view it from the outside looking in. Why would anyone want to come to JC? Not a discount just posing the question objectively. I mean...the way I see it is that they are having a hard time finding someone. And everyone knows they have a big mess over there to clean up. All coaching jobs are political but I think the first year or two in JC will be worse than most small town successful coaches will want to deal with. I think if they get a big name it will be from out of state and that would be a mistake in my view. Monica, Waco, Mikey, or MoRon...you guys know when the deadline will be? I can't imagine them going past January on this.

Science Hill will never beat DB

"IF" Rankin ends up at Science Hill it will mark the end of DB dominance. This guy is a real coach with a record to prove it. Everbody says Science Hill has the most talent in the area. Put that with one of the best coaches in the state and you end up with Science Hill dominance. Being a DB fan, I hate to see it, but it was bound to happen sonner or later.

"IF" Rankin ends up at Science Hill it will mark the end of DB dominance. This guy is a real coach with a record to prove it. Everbody says Science Hill has the most talent in the area. Put that with one of the best coaches in the state and you end up with Science Hill dominance. Being a DB fan, I hate to see it, but it was bound to happen sonner or later.

There is a difference in upper east Tn dominance and winning a state. You said they'd win the state. Ain't gonna happen. Comp, the deadline has been changed. It was Dec. 31. Now, Turner has the image of Steviepoo running up and down the sidelines (which ain't gonna happen) and he's infatuated with the idea. He needs to get real and hire a good coach.

There is a difference in upper east Tn dominance and winning a state. You said they'd win the state. Ain't gonna happen. Comp, the deadline has been changed. It was Dec. 31. Now, Turner has the image of Steviepoo running up and down the sidelines (which ain't gonna happen) and he's infatuated with the idea. He needs to get real and hire a good coach.

Say what you want. I say "IF" Rankin ends up at Science Hill The Toppers will be the dominate team in Northeast Tn. right out of the gate and will win a State Championship in three years. Its all about coaching.

Rankin will not end up in J.C. Every year he likes for people to talk about him maybe taking another job. A pretty good philosophy considering he gets a raise on every scare he puts into boosters. Very good coach, no doubt, but he's staying put (If I had to bet). The rumor I've heard around Morristown is that Coach Woods could have it if he wanted it, but you know how rumors are. Is there anyone on the current staff at S.Hill being considered, or maybe from next door Virginia?

It is my understanding that they have narrowed the list to six and they are checking the list twice.

They have had applicants from colleges and even one from the Canadian Football league.

From what I have heard; Quarrels, Maryville, Woods, West, Brewer, Sevier County, Rankin,Alcoa, David Bibbee who is at UT Chatanooga now and Frankie Debusk Tusculum.

The package that I have heard is between $80,000-$90,000 It is negotiable.

I think this may have been when Rankin said they threw some things out to make it interesting.

I know Rankin's name is thrown out there a lot but for a pretty good reason. And remember he did leave Riverdale. IMO best coach in the state he might not win it but he would get there. Think how close the schools are up there he would get all the good players, its not that far a drive from anywhere in the tri-cities.

Turner and the rest of the Science Hill people are serious about doing it right.

I hope everyone realizes the Spurrier rumor was for fun.