"No Whining" Rule

what_a_game

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the no whining rule should be put into high school basketball. I'm growing tired of players giving the "What do you mean me?" look when they throw a shoulder or slap another player's arm. What do you think?

I think this is countered by the "stare down the player move" I see performed by more and more Refs. Call the foul, turn and report the foul to the table. Quit waiting for a reaction so you can show up a 15-17 year old. You are a grownup show some maturity in the situation.

I think this is countered by the "stare down the player move" I see performed by more and more Refs. Call the foul, turn and report the foul to the table. Quit waiting for a reaction so you can show up a 15-17 year old. You are a grownup show some maturity in the situation.

I see where you are coming from, but I think the disrespect shown by the players in their reactions is unacceptable. Does anybody else remember the days when the player that fouled raised their hand to accept the penalty instead of showing a look of disbelief that they were caught?

I see where you are coming from, but I think the disrespect shown by the players in their reactions is unacceptable. Does anybody else remember the days when the player that fouled raised their hand to accept the penalty instead of showing a look of disbelief that they were caught?

Sure I do, We wore short-shorts, Chuck Taylors, and it indeed looked like a "top of a key". :rolleyes:

I do agree there is a an overall lessing respect for the game. Here are some examples that come to mind. :

Coach's wearing wind suits instead of shirts and ties. Players traveling in warmups with t-shirts hanging from underneath down to their knees. Players are not taught that it is a priviledge to wear your schools uniform and that they are representing their school and community. Some players now believe the school is lucky to have them and if they are not appreciated they will take their "services" elswhere. Of course this is not everyone, but it seems to be a disturbing trend.

That being said, Respect is a two-way street. Coaches instill discipline and set the example for treating officals with respect. Refs should treat players how they want to be treated. No wise comments, staredowns, or exaggerated signals that could be seen from the top row of a 30,000 seat arena.

And lastly, what type of an example do parents set as for respect to authority? The way they speak of coachs, teachers, and refs in front of their children go much farther than any "no whining" rule.

My two cents.

Does the no whining rule apply to parents?

Well, to an extent I think. Some communication to the ref should take place during a game, but only to an extent. The refs sometimes need a little encouragement to look for fouls they are missing, but this shouldn't be done by a player who obviously commits a foul. It should be done by the coach and some yelling from parents is acceptable. For example, in the Daniel Boone vs. Greeneville game last night, I think I saw one player who did raise their hand and accept the foul, but just the one. This also seemed to stem from parents and the coach as they argued over every single foul called as well. So to answer your question...yes and no depending on the situation.

So much contact has been allowed in the past few years that I not sure that most of the players really know what a true foul is. Thats where it becomes tough for a ref to make calls. When you start allowing some fouls it's kinda hard to draw the line.

I think ref's could take charge of the game if they would. I can remember when fans would get T'd up for shouting insults at the refs. That would stop a lot of stuff if the ref's would take back control of the game.

Last year in the game between Bolivar and Liberty in Chester County when Irvin forearmed Willie Kemp.......all that could have been avoided early on in the game had the ref's really did thier job and not been scared of the crowd that closing in on the court. That brings me to another point......these building have a capacity limit the fire marshalls need to enforce. I have seen the cheerleaders pushed from behind and insulted almost to the point of being assaulted by thugs that have been allowed to crowd around the court because of overcrowding.

All the rules needed to control the game, players and fans are in place. Enforce them!!!!!

You are 100% correct!!! I grow so tired of seeing at least one in every crew that wants to be the "enforcer". What a joke some of these guys have made themselves. I counter by also saying that there still a few of those men in stripes that know their role is to call the GAME... not the stands, bench, cheerleaders, etc....and they do a good job. The others have completely lost what their true role in the game is. Heck no, the last thing we need is to give them one more judgement call to make. Pretty soon they'll be calling technicals because they "knew what we were thinking."