Harrison Smith & Golden Tate (Notre Dame BOUND)

Big Country

As is predictable, what you are "willing to bet" is wrong again. Notre Dame against the CURRENT SEC teams is 17-11. Against teams which were in the SEC at the time they played the Irish--18-10. The records are as follows:

vs. Alabama 5-1, all but one in the Bryant era and 2 wins in championship games.

vs. LSU 5-4, including one year when the teams played twice with a split.

vs. Ole Miss 1-1, and this was in the 1960's, when Mississippi was an SEC power.

vs. Tennessee 4-4

vs. Vanderbilt 2-0

vs. Georgia 0-1, the only SEC opponent that Notre Dame has not beaten.

Incidentally, your claim that the Notre Dame team which beat the Pumpkins in Knoxville in 2004 was "the best Notre Dame team in years" is quite a surprise to Notre Dame fans. That was Willingham's last year and the record was 6-6.. Furthermore, your presumption that most of those wins came during the Notre Dame "glory days" is far from true. Notre Dame did not begin playing southern teams until the late 1950's, after the days of Rockne, Leahy, etc.

In 2004, UT played a majority of the game against ND without their starting QB and ND still barely won. If the roles were reversed, ND would have lost. Your 2-0 record against Vanderbilt is admirable, considering Vandy played Michigan a closer game this year than ND did. LSU beat TN by 4. LSU will beat ND by more than that.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2004, UT played a majority of the game against ND without their starting QB and ND still barely won. If the roles were reversed, ND would have lost. Your 2-0 record against Vanderbilt is admirable, considering Vandy played Michigan a closer game this year than ND did. LSU beat TN by 4. LSU will beat ND by more than that.

Notre Dame was playing the reserves in the THIRD QUARTER against Penn State. The score was 41-3 when the starters left the field and the final wound up being 41-17 :D

Tennessee LOST to Penn State. The final score was 20-10 Nittany Lions.

FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tennessee lost AT HOME to LSU by 4. (THIS IS ALSO A FACT) :D

"LSU will beat ND"???????? OPINION!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

Edited by Big Country

Notre Dame was playing the reserves in the THIRD QUARTER against Penn State. The score was 41-3 when the starters left the field and the final wound up being 41-17 :D

Tennessee lost AT HOME to LSU by 4. (THIS IS ALSO A FACT) :D

"LSU will beat ND"???????? OPINION!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

Good point(s) Big Country.

ND beats LSU tonight IMO. Like I said last year prior to the Auburn/Nebraska game, give an NFL guy a month to prepare, and he wins. Callahan took Tuberville to the shed scheme, play call, field position, and game management wise. Now Callahan was a better NFL guy than Fat Charlie (Fat Charlie never was a HC, DC or Special Teams guy. Only O). But, Les Miles ain't no Tubberville, and niether is his staff anywhere near as talented as Fat Charlie's staff. Also, talent on the field really gets minimized when coaches have this much time to scheme. Boise State did not have the talent of OK, nor did Wake have the talent of Louiville. Wake did pretty well. I hear Tate is tearing it up in Fla. Any word on how Donald is doing at the AA Game practices? I think Smith and Tate made smart decisions. Assuming Fat Charlie does not explode or take the Giants job ND is really stacking for their next run of 11, 12 wins seasons. Fat Charlie is about to show Fat Phil a thing or two about what happens when a staff develops the whole person, not just the player secured by a Top 5 recruiting class.

If Erik Ainge played at Notre Dame he would be the one ESPN thinks is the best QB in America. ESPN loves the north schools more than the south ones. In today's world, when you get ESPN on your side you become the greatest. Just look at Charles Woodson in 1997.

You and I haven't disagreed much in the past buddy but here we are not in agreement. ESPN says anytime there's a college football discussion that the SEC is the best college football conference in the country. Not the Big 10. Do you know what the Big Ten's record against the SEC was on New Year's Day?????? Ohio State still hasn't played Florida either :thumb:

Now I too agree that the SEC is the best conference in the country. To send 9 TEAMS (Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina, Auburn, LSU, Arkansas, & Alabama) to bowl games is unheard of. NOW HAVING SAID THAT THERE'S NO REASON FOR SEC FANS TO CLOWN OTHER MAJOR CONFERENCES OUT THERE!!!!! The ACC sent 8 TEAMS (Florida State, Miami, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Maryland, & Boston College) to bowl games this year. The Big Ten sent 7 TEAMS (Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Penn State, & Purdue) to bowl games this year.

Charles Woodson in 1997 was the most dominating defensive player in the country on the best team in the country while Manning was the best player in the SEC. The thing that cost Manning was the thing that haunts him to this day. He can't win the BIG ONE!!! Look at his results against Florida & Nebraska that year :thumb: Now look at how Woodson performed against David Boston (Ohio State), Joe Jurevicious (Penn State), & Ryan Leaf (Washington State) that same year :o

It's not who's the best NFL player. It's who plays biggest in college football games and helps his team be successful most. Woodson WITHOUT QUESTION did that :lol:

You and I haven't disagreed much in the past buddy but here we are not in agreement. ESPN says anytime there's a college football discussion that the SEC is the best college football conference in the country. Not the Big 10. Do you know what the Big Ten's record against the SEC was on New Year's Day?????? Ohio State still hasn't played Florida either :thumb:

Now I too agree that the SEC is the best conference in the country. To send 9 TEAMS (Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina, Auburn, LSU, Arkansas, & Alabama) to bowl games is unheard of. NOW HAVING SAID THAT THERE'S NO REASON FOR SEC FANS TO CLOWN OTHER MAJOR CONFERENCES OUT THERE!!!!! The ACC sent 8 TEAMS (Florida State, Miami, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Maryland, & Boston College) to bowl games this year. The Big Ten sent 7 TEAMS (Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Penn State, & Purdue) to bowl games this year.

Charles Woodson in 1997 was the most dominating defensive player in the country on the best team in the country while Manning was the best player in the SEC. The thing that cost Manning was the thing that haunts him to this day. He can't win the BIG ONE!!! Look at his results against Florida & Nebraska that year :thumb: Now look at how Woodson performed against David Boston (Ohio State), Joe Jurevicious (Penn State), & Ryan Leaf (Washington State) that same year :o

It's not who's the best NFL player. It's who plays biggest in college football games and helps his team be successful most. Woodson WITHOUT QUESTION did that :lol:

Tell 'em Big Country, you fact-filled wunderkind you. In all unbiased honesty, I think Charles Woodson had a fabulous year and his team was obviously the best in the country, the problem, however, in how the Heisman turned out was that if you take the amount of times you would see Michigan and Woodson plastered all over every national television sportscast and compare it to the amount of times you would see the SEC champion and Orange Bowl bound Peyton Manning-led Vols, it wasn't even close. UM were the media darlings that year, and in an incredibly close race, that can definitely turn the tide. I do think, however, that this argument contains too much gray matter to ever get settled, especially on this message board. As for the SEC being hailed as the best conference but given no respect, give me a break guys. They are given their due just as much, if not more, than any other teams in the country, however, you cannot tell me ND is not given the benefit of the doubt more than any team in the nation. There have been countless times a preseason poll will come out, and reward a 7-5 ND team from the year before with a Top 25 ranking, so it stands to reason that a 10-3 ND team with major losses on Offense will be given a Top 10 ranking when in reality Weis will be relying on a true freshman, albeit a very talented one, at QB, and their defense will still be bad despite the influx of speed added, as it will come in the form of even more true freshman, which begs the question, are they worthy of said ranking? Also, it is ridiculous to go by conference strength based off of bowl games, Big Country, they may be head-to-head, but given a month to heal and gameplan, a lot of times games are much different than they would be during the regular season. The SEC's home field advantage is generally regarded as superior to the more lax fans, say, in the Pac-10. As for some earlier who commented on Weis' staff being far superior to Miles, puhhhhh-leaze. Weis has some great graybeards standing behind him with all the experience in the world, but are you going to tell me Jimbo Fisher doesn't have the talent they do? Anyway, it should be a great game, I believe it is on right now, so I better tune in!

P.S. I agree with your last sentences about who the best NFL player is being irrelevant to the Heisman. My thoughts exactly.

Wow, I am in shock, Notre Dame loses (and get's dominated) yet again in a bowl game...what's that 9 in a row now? I guess if you're gonna do something (get beat in bowl games) you might as well be good at it.

If you go by "Big Country's" logic I guess UT is better than Notre Dame this year because we only lost 28-24 to LSU (should have won, Russell fumbled on the game winning drive, but it couldn't be reviewed) and the domers lost 41-14.

How about that Brady Quin? You like to talk about Peyton Manning not winning a big game, how about your hero Quin? Has he ever won a big game?...certainly not a bowl game. How about Charlie? eh fella? You guy's play three good teams this year and you get blown out in all three.

All bow down to the "almighty" Notre Dame for they are the greatest thing going :D

And finally how about those bcs games? Let's look at those.

2000 - Fiesta Bowl

Oregon State 41 Notre Dame 9

Total yards, OSU 449 ND 155 (!!)

2005 - Fiesta Bowl

Ohio State 34 Notre Dame 20

Total yards, OSU 617 (!!) ND 348

2006 - Sugar Bowl

LSU 41 Notre Dame 14

Total yards, LSU 575 ND 289

Totals

Opponents 106 Notre Dame 43

Yards

Opponents 1641 Notre Dame 792

My Irish got pounded for the second straight year in a BCS game. The last three "elite programs" ND has played they've gotten their tails handed to them. Last year against Ohio State & this year against LSU, Michigan, and USC.

NOTICE: I said "elite" :D

Now if a USC, Michigan, Florida, Ohio State, or LSU fan would like to say something negative about Notre Dame Football then they are in a position to where they can actually do so.

As for Tennessee Football Fans????????? NO WAY!!!! Tennessee lost to LSU by 4 & Notre Dame lost to LSU by 27. BOTH LOST!!! Tennessee lost to Penn State by 10 & Notre Dame beat Penn State by 24. THAT MEANS THAT ONE TEAM BEAT THE NITTANY LIONS & THE OTHER DID NOT!!!!

9 STRAIGHT BOWL LOSSES BUT 11 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!!!

My perspective on Notre Dame Football right now is simply the fact that they must get a lot better on the defensive side of the football or they'll continue to get hammered by "elite programs" when they play them. The secondary is too slow, the defensive line gets no pass rush whatsoever, and the linebackers simply can't make tackles. Offensively Quinn didn't perform great in a BIG GAME outside of the one they played at home against USC last year. Even when they beat Michigan last year it was due to Walker's having a big performance. Samardzija & McKnight didn't do the team any favors tonight either. McKnight dropped two big passes in the USC game (one on a crucial 4th Down) and tonight he did the exact same thing (one which led to an INT). Samardzija didn't even see the football on an excellent thrown fade route by Quinn (that drive ended in a missed FG).

Next year?????? YOUNG & TALENTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you go by "Big Country's" logic I guess UT is better than Notre Dame this year because we only lost 28-24 to LSU (should have won, Russell fumbled on the game winning drive, but it couldn't be reviewed) and the domers lost 41-14.

No because they both lost to LSU.

Notre Dame beat Penn State. How did Tennessee fare against them Nittany Lions?????????

Notre Dame was playing the reserves in the THIRD QUARTER against Penn State. The score was 41-3 when the starters left the field and the final wound up being 41-17 :lol:

Tennessee lost AT HOME to LSU by 4. (THIS IS ALSO A FACT) :lol:

"LSU will beat ND"???????? OPINION!!!!!!!!! :D

Hey Big Country, I'm so proud your Irish looked so good tonight. I see now how superior they are to Tenn. Let's see LSU scored with less than 10 secs. left to beat the Vols. FACT: LSU barely eked past ND tonight 41-14. LSU almost 600 yards offense. ND better than UT??????????? OPINION. All I can say to you big ND fans WELCOME TO THE SEC CHARLIE

All you bring up is the PAST right????? Well if that's the case then why don't we reflect a little further in the past & compare NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!! Notre Dame has 11. Tennessee????????????

The past is the past so if you mention anything that happened in the past then I have you beat in that argument.

Like I said a month ago, Notre Dame crushed Penn State & I said that the Nittany Lions would beat Tennessee. IT HAPPENED!!! LSU is another team that beat Tennessee & tomorrow night they'll lose their "home game" against Notre Dame at the Sugar Bowl.

It's just a simple fact that Notre Dame > Tennessee :D

Old Pirate says its time for eating crow pie! ND fans are generally motor mouths. Old Pirate says he agrees with Jimmie Johnson, ND needs to get out and get BETTER PLAYERS!!!!!! HA-HA!!! ND would be a middle of the pack team in the MIGHTY SEC!! Old Pirate says, start eating that crow big country and ALL those others ND fans that happen to read this post. OH, it has to hurt LOOSING 9 bowl games in a roll. That has to be some kind of a record!! Call your doctor I'm sure he can prescribe something for the pain.

LSU 41-ND 14

LSU nearly 600 yds of offense!

Edited by OLD PIRATE