How to keep 2nd string out for the team?

rigger101

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with wrestling off before every match? :lol: That's the way it was when I was in school. If you didn't bring your best stuff to wrestle offs a couple of times a week, then you didn't wrestle the matches. That should be enough motivation to want to keep your starting spot, and more than enough opportunity for the second or third sringers to get a chance to wrestle varsity :thumb:

We have wrestle offs pretty much whenever you want one, but if the varsity kid has been varsity 2 or more weeks, you have to beat them twice....same rules for JV-1. You also have to be JV-1 to wrestle off for varsity.

We have wrestle offs pretty much whenever you want one, but if the varsity kid has been varsity 2 or more weeks, you have to beat them twice....same rules for JV-1. You also have to be JV-1 to wrestle off for varsity.

RMC, you may remember as far back as Hixson Jr. High having 20 deep per weight class. You had a ladder challenge match system where you had to work/win your way up, and you had ops every week or at least every other week to challenge. The High School was similar, unless there was a senior the coach didn't want taken out of the varsity line-up, if I remember right.

soms....you were in our wrestling room here. How many kids were in the room when you were here this summer?

I can't say I've ever been around program that manages to keep kids involved so long.

One of the neat awards that's given out every year is a Survivor award to the wrestlers that make it all 4 years in the program. It doesn't matter if they ever make it to varsity or not...their names go on the wall as a survivor of the program.

I guess the key to keeping kids is making them feel they are a part of the program and proud to be a part of it.

I'm glad we can point to Kyle Maynard as an example of what can happen if you stick around and work hard.

What's wrong with wrestling off before every match? :lol: That's the way it was when I was in school. If you didn't bring your best stuff to wrestle offs a couple of times a week, then you didn't wrestle the matches. That should be enough motivation to want to keep your starting spot, and more than enough opportunity for the second or third sringers to get a chance to wrestle varsity :rolleyes:

Just curious...but what school did you attend?

As far as wrestle offs go different programs have different options on how many they have. I've heard some programs will only have 2 wrestle offs a year, some have 3 and some have them every other week or even every week. It is up to the coach to decide how he wants to select the team and how often they have wrestle offs but I agree it should come down to wrestle offs to determine the starters regardless how often they occur. I think that just because a wrestler wins a wrestle off and then he doesn't get the job done in matches the coach should have the option to have additional wrestle offs has needed.

When I was in Jr High we had wrestle offs that were on the calendar and were well attended by staff, students and parents. We used 2 certified officials with wrestle offs taking place on 2 mats. with 50-60 wrestlers it was a big deal. How times have changed because I can remember saying as a 6th grader I backed up so and so with pride.

The coach on occasion would allow us a challenge match, but I have forgotten the criteria for that.

It was a big deal because our coach, The Colonel taught a lot more than wrestling. You didn't have the grades, you were a discipline problem that day in school or you were slightly injured, number 2 would wrestle.

We were never JV. We were just part of the wrestling program. Our depth board had a listed as BLUE, WHITE, GOLD and SILVER. Blue and white were our school colors and the highest teams. Not bad being silver and 4th team.

At lunch the colonel would organize intersquad matches that seem to ignite our student body and boy would they show up at the dual meets.

I have not tried to give any solutions but have just drawn on memories that made this sport so dear to me back in 65-66 :thumb:

Edited by noonesfool

this is just my humble opinion--but the problem with keeping a 2nd string is we never ever teach kids how to be a member of a team---we teach them from the time they first participate in sports that they are "all stars"--everyone must play in baseball--everyone gets the same number of minutes in basketball games or soccer matches--if you don't think your kid gets enough playing time you gripe at the coach--its his fault that your child is not playing enough--never mind that you never once practiced with him--we should be teaching our kids that it is just as great to be helping the star of the team get better during practice as it is to be the star--when michael jordan got cut from his team did he run and pout--or did he work his rear off to improve--as my sons have played every sport from baseball, basketball, football, soccer , and now wrestling he is asked one thing at the beginning--are you sure you want to do this-- they know what a commitment it is to say yes--once they join or make the team they are there for the year--whether they are the star( which they have been) or the bench player waiting for their turn (which they have been)----this includes missing family getaways because of practice or games--its learning that even if you are hurt --you go to practice --even if all you can do is listen and encourage others--so how do you keep kids out for the team --you start with the parents--once they learn it is okay if their child is not the superstar--that when a coach says we have practice you take the child no matter what--then you will have a 2nd and 3rd team!!!!!!

How many coaches do not have "wrestle offs" at all?

Just like baseball, football, basketball coaches, we as coaches are trusted that we are going to put our best "players" on the mat each time we wrestle. Some may disagree, but I stopped having wrestle offs 2 years ago. I've watched matches in wrestle offs where the better wrestler got caught in a "lucky" move and lost. Do you put a kid on the varsity knowing that he can't compete and won't give your team the best opportunity? I've tried the best out of 3 scenerio, which is a waste of time because a good coach, just like baseball, football, and basketball, can tell who is better and/or who gives your team the best opportunity to score. Of course, this is from a coaching persective, not a parents. Admittedly, I'm sure it's not quite as cut and dry as that for those that have kids 2-3 deep in each weight class. Unfortunantly, I don't have that problem. Otherwise, my opinion on wrestle-offs may be different. :thumb: