true story, would like opinions

jeffjoe

Take if from someone who has been there.......talking to the coach, AD, principal, school board or press can be a disaster, even if the coach is way out of line. I filed a formal complaint about a middle shcool basketball coach becauase he and the principal refused to adress the issue. I was encouraged to do so by other parents whose daughters had suffered at this coaches antics. I did this in a very professional manner and followed appropriate protocol. I was not confrontational but insisted that my issues be addressed. EVERYONE including the county school administration agreed that the coach was out of line and he was asked to resign. (Sounds good doesn't, but alas no happy ending).

My daughter was cut from both the basketball team and the softball team at the high school level. And everyone knew that she had been blacklisted, but when you are your friends are few and far between. And all those parents who wanted me to complain suddenly would not talk to me or my daughter anymore. My daughter was broken hearted that adults who she respected and thought were her friends suddenly weren't anymore. And I can't even begin to talk about the humiliation of being cut when you have been a starter and key player on every team you have ever played for (including some very successful travel teams). And yes we transfered to a school where my daughter has had signicant playing time since she was a freshman, was All State last year in softball and would have been able to play softball at the next level if she wanted to.

SOOOO think long and hard before you complain. Even though she has learned a lot about the real world from this situation my daughter will tell you sometimes its better suffer in silence.

If this coach was asked to resign, his or her behavior must have been much worse than the coach in question. All this parent wants is an explanation for benching his daughter. That is easily handled without going for the jugular and getting the coach canned. The principal or AD should be able to address the problem without getting the board involved. Now if they are unwilling to address the problem, then the issue becomes school administration, not the coach.That is a whole different ball of wax. A strategic phone call to a board member can often provide the necessary incentive for the school administration to take action to resolve. I do think, however, I would stop short of a formal complaint...thats way too public.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with wareagleblue, ask for administrations help if nothing is done move on.

Many more coaches than what the public might think have to play certain players because of who their parents are. This is one of the reasons why some schools are more successful than others; the coach is allowed to coach his players regardless of who they are, and then the administration backs them. Ask Harpeth's former coach, he didn't play the right players (even though he was successful) and he's gone, because of no backing from administration.

I agree with wareagleblue, ask for administrations help if nothing is done move on.

Many more coaches than what the public might think have to play certain players because of who their parents are. This is one of the reasons why some schools are more successful than others; the coach is allowed to coach his players regardless of who they are, and then the administration backs them. Ask Harpeth's former coach, he didn't play the right players (even though he was successful) and he's gone, because of no backing from administration.

It is sad that this sort of thing goes on but it DOES. Your only choice is to transfer immediately. At a program like this, neither you or your child have any real friends. It just rolls down hill. Unfortunately, it will not in most cases damage the program you leave because if they could not win without your daughter then you would not be posting on this forum. The only person that suffers is your daughter and life is toooo short for this experience. Don't hesitate, it will NOT get better. Your daughter deserves a positive H.S. experience.

Thats crazy, you play like you practice. If you practice hard than you should play hard. No reason to hold back in a game when it counts. This coach is out of his or her mind, the best players should PLAY! :thumb:

In a perfect world that is true. However if you have the opportunity to play for a program that bases playing time on your class in school, or last name, then you would understand. Practice and work ethic is not always rewarded. Sometimes if you practice too hard (* especially defense) you have to sit out so the first team can run the plays. If they can't perform in practice how can they do it in a game. Maybe the program has a superstar player who can control the game at least 90% of the time and so those tactics are not challenged. Like I said before, many times the only players who are exempt to those kind of situations ( public or private) are the players you can't win without. Sometimes a certain last name can also get you further, but even that is temporary if you can't produce.

Exactly..go to the "View" or to OC. They always play hard there. :thumb:

Run Forest Run!!! If a coach told this to ANY player, they do not deserve to be called a COACH. Sounds more like a politician. There has to be at least a small private within driving distance.. I hope so... This breaks my heart for your daughter. Hang in there, and find a great AAU team/coach to give her the opportunity to have fun playing basketball, improving her skills, and meeting new friends.

"If a coach told this to ANY player"

i think IF is the operative word here...

this is an anonymous internet posting of a parent's version,

of a child's version,

of something a coach said....

probably.

at best, it has been thru 2 levels of slanting (and/or embellishment).

at worst, it has been outright fabricated.

the chances that the player was actually told this

are almost nil.

My child hasn't been told this in exactly the same words, but seeing her level of play, I KNOW she is holding back and in our case,the coach is just plain stupid. She has know idea how to bring the best out in any player,therefore, she holds my child back to make all the players look equal. I have talked to my child and told her regardless of playing time,give it ALL you have every second you're on the floor and if you get benched then anyone with any sense of the game will know the coach is lacking something!

It's obvious that Middle TN girls basketball is suffering from a lack of talent. Look at the majority of the scores from Tuesday and Friday nights. There really are some stupid coaches out there. Really. Some of 'em even post on CoachT. :D

By the same token, there are also some very unreasonable parents...out there (no pun intended)...and some of them post on CoachT, too. :D

:lol:

It's obvious that Middle TN girls basketball is suffering from a lack of talent. Look at the majority of the scores from Tuesday and Friday nights. There really are some stupid coaches out there. Really. Some of 'em even post on CoachT. :o

By the same token, there are also some very unreasonable parents...out there (no pun intended)...and some of them post on CoachT, too. :D

:D

Thank God I'm in West TN, or I would have thought you were talking about me :lol: ...LOL