Outlook for Region 7-4A

Yanker

1. Defending wing t-Regardless of the defense whether it be an even, odd, or split look, you understand that this offense is a pulling, trapping offense. Penetration kills the wing t. Defensive tackles must read the heads of the guards and react with squeeze techniques to stop the trap ( the base play in which all other wing t plays are predicated). Defensive backs, (contain and force people must learn to read the wing's block and on the down block for the sweep, squeeze tight to seal the running lane and take the puller on at the knees and take him down, thus closing the designed bubble for the back. Defensive backs must remember their first responsibility is pass! Wing T offense, if run properly sets up the play action pass off of run action. For the belly and other plays, basic techniques of reading, squeezing, squatting ,etc. will take care of everything else. Also, lateral movement by the defensive front will create problems . One other item is a technique that is seldom used but is very effective. In even fronts these days most people will give you a 3 and a 1 technique, with the 3 to the strong side. Put the three to the weak side and the 1 strong. This will necessitate the inside backer to switch gap responsibility putting him in the strong B gap. Work with the inside backer on keying the fb. (Considering that the base plays in this offense are the trap, speep, belly, and waggle pass). In stopping the trap and sweep, coach him that IF the fb starts weak, to look for the sweep. People will look to trap the 3 rather than the 1. If the fb starts strong, look for the trap, because the action of the qb and the alignment of the tb is not set for sweep action. These are a few of the basics. Stunting of LB's and slanting of down linemen also allows for penetration that I mentioned earlier.

Attacking the 4-3- Most people like to test the bubbles off tackle. If you can be effective running at these bubbles you are able to set up some nice play-action passes.

Pass coverage against a spread offense that likes to throw rather than run- I like a cover 2 with man under in press coverage. This takes away the outs, curls, hooks, because you now are in chase mode and in an under position against the routes that I just mentioned. You have help over the top with the safeties for the deep routes.

Blocking the seep-You didn't give me any particular formation so let's use the wing t that you mentioned earlier. Wb will seal the defensive end, tackle blocks the first man inside, on or off the line. The guard pulls and is responsible for kicking out the contain or force man. The center will look at the depth of the inside lb. If alignment shows no threat of stunt by lb, he generally will block backside. This will change with LB walked up. Center then will block playside and the fb will block the backside A gap. Backside guard pulls tight off the wb's block and looks inside. Nothing shows he continues downfield. Tb is looking to run in the bubble created by the kick-out block by his guard.

Henry Co. vs Melrose- Didn't get a chance to see it. I would assume based on the early season prognastications from last year that size played a major role in the outcome. Melrose teams are generally small and quick. I'm assuming that Henry held the football and kept the Melrose offense on the sideline while controlling the clock and field position. Add to the fact that Melrose had another new coach last year and the offensive responsibilities switched back and forth between several people may have led to a problem of continuity. As far as East is concerned, (I had them 2 times), they were athletic but totally undisciplined. Little things beat them all year when they lost. Fairley, was just coming into their own. Playoffs after the first round put them in unfamiliar territory. Look for them to improve off of last year's performance.

Returning starters from East and Fairley-Haven't a clue. Buy Murphy Fairs book to get a good idea. That's what I would do.

Whack! Whack! Whack! (That's the sound of baby seal skulls). One thing you never asked and it's obvious that you never knew. You simply assumed ( and you know what they say about assuming) that I only officiated and had never set foot on the field as anything other that an official. Wrong again. I've had a little coaching experience. Not thirty something years like you, because I got tired of starving my wife and family to death and decided I needed to do something else that would be more financially rewarding. I still love the game and that's why I do what I do. Don't assume that you are so all-knowing and others can't communicate with someone so schollarly as yourself. Many can and I darn sure can!

I agree with most of your football responses. With respect to defending the Wing-T, one area where we may differ is many times, not all, we felt it was useless to try to penetrate with our inside people. We would actually back them off, since the trap was such a huge play, and for other reasons. We did attack and penetrate on the outside, however.

As far as Henry County versus Melrose is concerned, I was there. I didn't think Henry County was really bigger at all, but played more physical. Melrose had more speed, quickness, and athletic ability, but just got whipped. It surprised me, but that's what happened. East had a lot of athletes, but that's about it. I thought Fairley was the best of the three, even though Melrose beat them.

If you and cougarmike are one and the same, then I understand the basis for your knowledge. If not, then you certainly know more football than your average official, and that's unfortunate. I never said that I knew it all. In fact, I have stated the contrary. I would think that I know more about football than you, and I would assume that you know more about officiating than I. You do, however, know more football than I assumed. It will be refreshing to speak to you about a little more than just Munford, if you can ever let it go. I never assumed that others couldn't communicate with me about football. On this board, however, that is generally the case. Just read the foolishness on here, and that says it all. I enjoyed reading your responses. That is certainly no "olive branch", just simply an appreciation of your knowledge.

Edited by Red Warrior

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang red warrior how much did you have to pay for that clinic you just receivied! I too haven't the experience that you boast but even I can see that wtoff knows what he's talking about and I'm waiting eagerly for your retort. We in Tipton county wait with baited breath for your every word from the mountain top.

I do not "boast" of my experience, it is just simply a fact. Please don't tell me that you buy into the theory that the fine residents of Tipton County have so little to do , that they anxiously await anything that I have to say. I will say that I was surprised at the depth of his response. If it came from you, and if you a truly a coach, then it makes sense. Otherwise, he definitely knows more football than your average official. I have a few questions for you. Why do you think Munford lost to Fairley? Why was Henry County able to beat the three Memphis teams? How will Munford REALLY be this year? Now don't start your crying and whining, just tell us about your team. Henry County doesn't play you until the second half of the season, so there's no sense in holding back. By the way, the answer to your question of many months ago is Mississippi.

1. Defending wing t-Regardless of the defense whether it be an even, odd, or split look, you understand that this offense is a pulling, trapping offense. Penetration kills the wing t. Defensive tackles must read the heads of the guards and react with squeeze techniques to stop the trap ( the base play in which all other wing t plays are predicated). Defensive backs, (contain and force people must learn to read the wing's block and on the down block for the sweep, squeeze tight to seal the running lane and take the puller on at the knees and take him down, thus closing the designed bubble for the back. Defensive backs must remember their first responsibility is pass! Wing T offense, if run properly sets up the play action pass off of run action. For the belly and other plays, basic techniques of reading, squeezing, squatting ,etc. will take care of everything else. Also, lateral movement by the defensive front will create problems . One other item is a technique that is seldom used but is very effective. In even fronts these days most people will give you a 3 and a 1 technique, with the 3 to the strong side. Put the three to the weak side and the 1 strong. This will necessitate the inside backer to switch gap responsibility putting him in the strong B gap. Work with the inside backer on keying the fb. (Considering that the base plays in this offense are the trap, speep, belly, and waggle pass). In stopping the trap and sweep, coach him that IF the fb starts weak, to look for the sweep. People will look to trap the 3 rather than the 1. If the fb starts strong, look for the trap, because the action of the qb and the alignment of the tb is not set for sweep action. These are a few of the basics. Stunting of LB's and slanting of down linemen also allows for penetration that I mentioned earlier.

Attacking the 4-3- Most people like to test the bubbles off tackle. If you can be effective running at these bubbles you are able to set up some nice play-action passes.

Pass coverage against a spread offense that likes to throw rather than run- I like a cover 2 with man under in press coverage. This takes away the outs, curls, hooks, because you now are in chase mode and in an under position against the routes that I just mentioned. You have help over the top with the safeties for the deep routes.

Blocking the seep-You didn't give me any particular formation so let's use the wing t that you mentioned earlier. Wb will seal the defensive end, tackle blocks the first man inside, on or off the line. The guard pulls and is responsible for kicking out the contain or force man. The center will look at the depth of the inside lb. If alignment shows no threat of stunt by lb, he generally will block backside. This will change with LB walked up. Center then will block playside and the fb will block the backside A gap. Backside guard pulls tight off the wb's block and looks inside. Nothing shows he continues downfield. Tb is looking to run in the bubble created by the kick-out block by his guard.

Henry Co. vs Melrose- Didn't get a chance to see it. I would assume based on the early season prognastications from last year that size played a major role in the outcome. Melrose teams are generally small and quick. I'm assuming that Henry held the football and kept the Melrose offense on the sideline while controlling the clock and field position. Add to the fact that Melrose had another new coach last year and the offensive responsibilities switched back and forth between several people may have led to a problem of continuity. As far as East is concerned, (I had them 2 times), they were athletic but totally undisciplined. Little things beat them all year when they lost. Fairley, was just coming into their own. Playoffs after the first round put them in unfamiliar territory. Look for them to improve off of last year's performance.

Returning starters from East and Fairley-Haven't a clue. Buy Murphy Fairs book to get a good idea. That's what I would do.

Whack! Whack! Whack! (That's the sound of baby seal skulls). One thing you never asked and it's obvious that you never knew. You simply assumed ( and you know what they say about assuming) that I only officiated and had never set foot on the field as anything other that an official. Wrong again. I've had a little coaching experience. Not thirty something years like you, because I got tired of starving my wife and family to death and decided I needed to do something else that would be more financially rewarding. I still love the game and that's why I do what I do. Don't assume that you are so all-knowing and others can't communicate with someone so schollarly as yourself. Many can and I darn sure can!

A masterpiece of diagnosis.

I do not "boast" of my experience, it is just simply a fact. Please don't tell me that you buy into the theory that the fine residents of Tipton County have so little to do , that they anxiously await anything that I have to say. I will say that I was surprised at the depth of his response. If it came from you, and if you a truly a coach, then it makes sense. Otherwise, he definitely knows more football than your average official. I have a few questions for you. Why do you think Munford lost to Fairley? Why was Henry County able to beat the three Memphis teams? How will Munford REALLY be this year? Now don't start your crying and whining, just tell us about your team. Henry County doesn't play you until the second half of the season, so there's no sense in holding back. By the way, the answer to your question of many months ago is Mississippi.

I can assure you that Cougarmike and I are not one and the same. If you are interested, I coached 7 years in Mississippi. Obviously, you don't get into this business for the money. The time requirements are enormous if you are to be successful. When my first child was born I made the decision that I needed to be involved in another type of work that would be more financially rewarding. I have always been a very competetive person and had for years a great interest in the law. I returned to the U. of M. and spent 3 years in law school. I was fortunate that I became a member of the Law Review and this along with 2 summer internships catipulted me into a nice position with a Memphis firm. I do a great deal of litigation and the firm allows me the opportunity to do some pro bono work. I continued over the years to have a great love for the game and officiating allows me the opportunity to continue to be a part of it, yet requires only about 7 hr. per week of my time. To my knowledge, I am the only practicing attorney in West Tn. hence the name wtnoff. Well there you have it... The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!

Yanker, it is aweful early for you to be spouting off, but I do appreciate the lingo, however, I do want something from the Yanker...how much therapy will all of that 3rd person require???

The region will be very competitive this season, but rumor has it that "the Rock" you so often refer to is made of that new pourous concrete they have been working on at MTSU I read about in the Tennessean earlier this week, which would make since why so many ran right through the defense last season...

As for everyone else, slow down, 2 a days don't even start until next week...lots of time before anyone knows anything as far as wins and who is who...

Now, to get back to the conversation of teams, I will only speak of HC as that is where I am from. We have big shoes to fill at quarterback, but the Patriots will be OK post Calvin. You can't replace a player of that magnitude, you can only learn from the experiences of the previous season and replace personnel. Teague will fill in nicely at quarterback, and I am anxious to see him at work beginning next week, maybe not as strong an arm, but better touch and extreme athleticism will allow him to be as successful.

And don't forget one of the best running backs in the state (Allen, that's right, I said it and he is only a junior), the man child should have a stellar season and we hear in HC are pumped about the upcoming year. The main, and most important thing, that I saw out of our squad last year, is that by the end of the season they had learned how to win/finish a game. We have lost a lot of starters, but the younger guys got a taste last year and I hope it is still in their mouths...

Good luck to all, here is to an injury free year full of excitement...Fear the Yanker nevermore, he talked the same trash last year and HC still handed it to them....

As wtoff explains we're not the same. I've known him for many years through his officiating of our games in Memphis. He's a man of character and a knowledgable offical. As Forrest Gump say's "that's all I got to say about that". Why Munford lost to Fairley? Good question. Two returned kicks for touchdowns and a solid run game hurt us. We were in position several time to go up three scores and instead allowed Fairley to answer and keep the margin to one touchdown. I believe if we could've of got that third score they would've rolled over. How did H.C. beat 3 Memphis teams? I think you first have to look at the teams they beat. Memphis East, talented skill guys but not sound up front or offensively. Take away your mistakes and it wouldn't have been close. I wasn't there but I think their scores came on big plays for the most part. Bottom line you were the better team. East is down and I'm not sure they will ever be what they were. Melrose, very talented with a tradition of winning but last year very young but still very dangerous football team especially at home. H.C. beat a good football team in a difficult place to play. H.C. showed that early by taking it to Melrose with a strong running game against a smaller Melrose front. Again Henry was the better team last year. Fairley, this one hurts a little it should've been a rematch between us but we lost and that's history, I think you matched up well up front and took away or at least limited the running game and didn't make the mistakes that we did again you were the better team. Bottom line Henry fielded a very good team last year with a senior class that I'm willing to bet baught into coach Gaddis' program as 9th or 10th graders and now Henry is seeing the payoff. Red you ask about us. We replaced 22 seniors with 31 sophmores. We're going to be young, small and make up for it by being slow. Now you think I'm pulling your leg all you have to do is look it up. I think we have a strong young group to build on as you guys did but this year could be one of those years that could be tough. Our plan is to get better each day and try to work our way into a playoff spot.

I can assure you that Cougarmike and I are not one and the same. If you are interested, I coached 7 years in Mississippi. Obviously, you don't get into this business for the money. The time requirements are enormous if you are to be successful. When my first child was born I made the decision that I needed to be involved in another type of work that would be more financially rewarding. I have always been a very competetive person and had for years a great interest in the law. I returned to the U. of M. and spent 3 years in law school. I was fortunate that I became a member of the Law Review and this along with 2 summer internships catipulted me into a nice position with a Memphis firm. I do a great deal of litigation and the firm allows me the opportunity to do some pro bono work. I continued over the years to have a great love for the game and officiating allows me the opportunity to continue to be a part of it, yet requires only about 7 hr. per week of my time. To my knowledge, I am the only practicing attorney in West Tn. hence the name wtnoff. Well there you have it... The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!

Please take note that no one else on here EVER gets accused of being the YANKER!!!!! There is but one!! There is no living being who possesses the knowledge, the wit, and the personality of the legendary YANKER!!!!! As Reggie Jackson (my father is inviting me over to watch The Bronx Is Burning) once stated...I am the straw that stirs the drink...no one else can do so!!! JCM to win the region!!! I AM THE YANKER!!!!!!!!!

To my knowledge, I am not only the "only practicing YANKER" in West Tennessee...I am the ONLY "practicing YANKER" in existence...PERIOD...end of story!!!!! Read carefully, my friend, for I will let you in on some important information...and it will be "pro bono"...JCM to win the region!!!! I AM THE ONLY PRACTICING YANKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yanker, it is aweful early for you to be spouting off, but I do appreciate the lingo, however, I do want something from the Yanker...how much therapy will all of that 3rd person require???

The region will be very competitive this season, but rumor has it that "the Rock" you so often refer to is made of that new pourous concrete they have been working on at MTSU I read about in the Tennessean earlier this week, which would make since why so many ran right through the defense last season...

As for everyone else, slow down, 2 a days don't even start until next week...lots of time before anyone knows anything as far as wins and who is who...

Now, to get back to the conversation of teams, I will only speak of HC as that is where I am from. We have big shoes to fill at quarterback, but the Patriots will be OK post Calvin. You can't replace a player of that magnitude, you can only learn from the experiences of the previous season and replace personnel. Teague will fill in nicely at quarterback, and I am anxious to see him at work beginning next week, maybe not as strong an arm, but better touch and extreme athleticism will allow him to be as successful.

And don't forget one of the best running backs in the state (Allen, that's right, I said it and he is only a junior), the man child should have a stellar season and we hear in HC are pumped about the upcoming year. The main, and most important thing, that I saw out of our squad last year, is that by the end of the season they had learned how to win/finish a game. We have lost a lot of starters, but the younger guys got a taste last year and I hope it is still in their mouths...

Good luck to all, here is to an injury free year full of excitement...Fear the Yanker nevermore, he talked the same trash last year and HC still handed it to them....

The YANKER never "spouts off"...that is something for others to do...in fact, the "anti-prophet" has made it an art form. If my posts seem "spouting off" to you, then you are simply unable to grasp the message of the YANKER!!! You should ALWAYS be more reverent concerning the "ROCK"...when was the last time you won here??? That is what the YANKER thought!!! What EXACTLY did you hand to us last year??? Yes, you won the game, but as the YANKER recalls, we threw the ball all over your secondary, when everyone knew that we had to. If only we had started sooner. We learned last year that you have no clue, when it comes to pass defense...and we still remember!!!!! I ask no one to FEAR the mighty YANKER...but you had better listen, and in your case, learn to comprehend, what it is that I am saying!!!!! What I am saying RIGHT NOW is this...JCM to win the region!!! I AM THE YANKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The YANKER never "spouts off"...that is something for others to do...in fact, the "anti-prophet" has made it an art form. If my posts seem "spouting off" to you, then you are simply unable to grasp the message of the YANKER!!! You should ALWAYS be more reverent concerning the "ROCK"...when was the last time you won here??? That is what the YANKER thought!!! What EXACTLY did you hand to us last year??? Yes, you won the game, but as the YANKER recalls, we threw the ball all over your secondary, when everyone knew that we had to. If only we had started sooner. We learned last year that you have no clue, when it comes to pass defense...and we still remember!!!!! I ask no one to FEAR the mighty YANKER...but you had better listen, and in your case, learn to comprehend, what it is that I am saying!!!!! What I am saying RIGHT NOW is this...JCM to win the region!!! I AM THE YANKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Begging to differ with you, (most of the time all-knowing YANKER). This is one of those rare moments when the straw drank the drink(and another, and another, and another). Obviously you were inebriated when making your last series of posts concerning JCM's finish and the threat of the used-to-be legendary "rock". (note once again the lower case letters). A 12 step program might be just the ticket to bring you back into the land of sobriety. JCM will once again be athletic, however, will fall to Hardin, Henry, Munford, and Brighton. Wins over Liberty and JNS will land the once mighty (note. I said once mighty cougars (lower case letters) solidly into the fifth spot. It'll feel like a nightmare in which you just can't wake up. I implore you to ignore the bottle and resign yourself that time marches on and the past becomes a distant object in one's rearview mirror as we move from the present into the future. Since I started my "defense" of a certain school in the region, I will now become an ardent fan (The realistic whys...I'm not sure). So...GO MUNFORD!!! I am the sober WTNOFF and you are the INEBRIATED YANKER!

Begging to differ with you, (most of the time all-knowing YANKER). This is one of those rare moments when the straw drank the drink(and another, and another, and another). Obviously you were inebriated when making your last series of posts concerning JCM's finish and the threat of the used-to-be legendary "rock". (note once again the lower case letters). A 12 step program might be just the ticket to bring you back into the land of sobriety. JCM will once again be athletic, however, will fall to Hardin, Henry, Munford, and Brighton. Wins over Liberty and JNS will land the once mighty (note. I said once mighty cougars (lower case letters) solidly into the fifth spot. It'll feel like a nightmare in which you just can't wake up. I implore you to ignore the bottle and resign yourself that time marches on and the past becomes a distant object in one's rearview mirror as we move from the present into the future. Since I started my "defense" of a certain school in the region, I will now become an ardent fan (The realistic whys...I'm not sure). So...GO MUNFORD!!! I am the sober WTNOFF and you are the INEBRIATED YANKER!

The YANKER knows all...ALWAYS!!!!! For a man who has the background to be smart, you disappoint the YANKER when you seem so clueless!!!!! I stand by my JCM comments and there is but a single "ROCK"...and it is almost as legendary and universally respected as the YANKER!!!!! JCM to beat HC and Munford...wait and see!!!!! The YANKER cannot remember the last time I was inebriated...but it is apparent that you are on YOUR way!!! Sober...you are not...misguided...you are...the YANKER...I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The YANKER knows all...ALWAYS!!!!! For a man who has the background to be smart, you disappoint the YANKER when you seem so clueless!!!!! I stand by my JCM comments and there is but a single "ROCK"...and it is almost as legendary and universally respected as the YANKER!!!!! JCM to beat HC and Munford...wait and see!!!!! The YANKER cannot remember the last time I was inebriated...but it is apparent that you are on YOUR way!!! Sober...you are not...misguided...you are...the YANKER...I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read Volunteer General's post on Region 7 predictions. I'm afraid he's right on target with the comments about Liberty, etc. JCM is in dire straits and this will be a most critical year in the future of the program. All that remains to be said is wait until the season starts and the assessments can be made....then and only then will the true picture unfold.