Knoxville Webb at Greenville

basketballfan2003

QUOTE(roundballjunkie @ Jan 15 2007 - 08:53 PM) 826333051[/snapback]

I saw it...I hope the Greeneville coaching staff did and took notes. The Collins kid comes off the bench for Greeneville (scores 14, rebounds, has a couple of clean blocks on Johnson and candidly, was the only one not intimidated at the start of the game) and gets playing time. It's beyond not having a clue that her playing time has been limited so far this season. We will see what the rest of the year holds - I would not hold my breath on the coaching staff being perceptive.

What exactly do you mean by the coaching staff being perceptive? I think that the coaches at Greeneville do an excellent job at what they do. If you follow the Lady Devils you would know why Collins time has not been as much as it was against Webb. Too many silly fouls, not blocking out, maybe she doesn't want the pressure of starting. Just support the team and cheer for them. Don't hold your breath too much, you might die!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(orange~is~tradition @ Jan 16 2007 - 11:24 AM) 826333658[/snapback]

Ok chatterbox...answer this one. Even if she does turn the ball over some who doesnt for Greeneville? Whitney Carter is probably about -5 on her assist/turnover ratio. And plus HAVE YOU EVER SEEN MORGAN LAMONS PLAY? SHE IS WITHOUT A DOUBT THE WORST STARTER OF ANY OUT OF THE TOP TEN TEAMS IN AAA. SO WHO SHOULD PLAY RACHEL COLLINS OR MORGAN LAMONS? NO BRAINER THERE.

I have a question for you, Why do you insist on talking bad about high school athletes? You expect a point guard to have more turnovers than anyone else on the team (since they are the primary ball handler). I have seen Morgan play, I would say her defense is pretty good. Her defense has helped Greeneville out a lot this year. Each player on a team has roles that they play and her biggest role would probably be defense. The no brainer is you don't have a clue about what you are talking about. I do believe that Lamons and Carter both hit big free throws in this game to give them the four point advantage. Here is another question for you, How much did Greeneville win by? 4 points!!!!! If you know what your talking about why don't you go and volunteer some of your knowledge to the greeneville coaching staff! Or heck even volunteer your time in the summer to make these kids better.

QUOTE(greenevillefan @ Jan 16 2007 - 12:52 PM) 826333748[/snapback]

I have a question for you, Why do you insist on talking bad about high school athletes? You expect a point guard to have more turnovers than anyone else on the team (since they are the primary ball handler). I have seen Morgan play, I would say her defense is pretty good. Her defense has helped Greeneville out a lot this year. Each player on a team has roles that they play and her biggest role would probably be defense. The no brainer is you don't have a clue about what you are talking about. I do believe that Lamons and Carter both hit big free throws in this game to give them the four point advantage. Here is another question for you, How much did Greeneville win by? 4 points!!!!! If you know what your talking about why don't you go and volunteer some of your knowledge to the greeneville coaching staff! Or heck even volunteer your time in the summer to make these kids better.

Have to agree with you about Lamons, defensively she is where the Lady Devils need her to be...she reminds me a bit of Stephanie Freeman. I am afraid I have to move closer to Orange boy about Carter, she commits an AWFUL lot of unforced TO's...always has. That being said, she runs the offense beautifully. I would like to see Dickson a bit less intimidated by physical play. I have seen her backed down a couple of times. Lex Catholic did it and Webb.

Free throws are a crap shoot for this team...they are either on or not. Lucky for Greeneville they were on against Webb.

QUOTE(greenevillefan @ Jan 16 2007 - 12:52 PM) 826333748[/snapback]

I believe it was 5 points 39-34. I agree that Lamons and Carter hit big big foul shots to hold on to the win in this game. I also think that Lamons Defense is pretty good. I disagree that orange is tradition does not know what they are talking about because they are really pretty smart when it comes to this game. However, I disagree with them bad mouthing (on here) a high school athlete who goes to practice every day and works as hard as they do. If it were them getting bashed and they read it they would not like it very much. Anyway all I know is that the Lady Devils were very impressive the other night against Webb and they really played well and pulled out a big win. Congrats to the Lady Devils, don't let up!

QUOTE(greenevillefan @ Jan 16 2007 - 12:47 PM) 826333742[/snapback]

What exactly do you mean by the coaching staff being perceptive? I think that the coaches at Greeneville do an excellent job at what they do. If you follow the Lady Devils you would know why Collins time has not been as much as it was against Webb. Too many silly fouls, not blocking out, maybe she doesn't want the pressure of starting. Just support the team and cheer for them. Don't hold your breath too much, you might die!

I have seen most of their games this year - the reality is that with the level of competition offered in the IMAC this year, you could roll the ball out on the floor and not say a word and Greeneville would win most of their games - they are that much better in talent than their competition. We can disagree on the point - you think they do an excellent job, I think they don't have a clue. But you don't have to be Pat Summit to recognize that Collins gives you size on defense and and another low post scoring threat - do you really think Greeneville would have been within 10 points without her Saturday night? Let me make this plain - I'm not on the thread to trash any player - all the kids on this team have a role - I'm just saying that Collins brings to much to the table to keep her on the bench.

To jump in late with a comment and a question. First, While Whitney Carter is never going to win any skills competitions or WOW any college scouts, if you take her from her soph. year to now no girl on that team has improved more than Carter. Secondly, the question, speaking of being weak at the at the 3 spot. What happened to Lauren Anderson? She was the best athlete on the team, a above average shooter from 3, and the 1st or 2nd best defensive player. Don't know why she chose not to play her senior year but she is missed and that hole will show in the post season.

As for the coaches, Greeneville has 2 of the best assistants around and I think Coach Crumbley is better than the Lady Devil faithful give her credit for. She took them further in her first year than Blair did in 30.

[

As for the coaches, Greeneville has 2 of the best assistants around and I think Coach Crumbley is better than the Lady Devil faithful give her credit for. She took them further in her first year than Blair did in 30.

In all fairness to Blair, I don't think he had the talent that Coach Crumbley had or had the groundwork laid for him like Coach Burkey had established either. I am not trying to knock anyone that is just an assessment in my opinion.

QUOTE(devilfan11 @ Jan 16 2007 - 10:38 PM) 826334286[/snapback]

To jump in late with a comment and a question. First, While Whitney Carter is never going to win any skills competitions or WOW any college scouts, if you take her from her soph. year to now no girl on that team has improved more than Carter. Secondly, the question, speaking of being weak at the at the 3 spot. What happened to Lauren Anderson? She was the best athlete on the team, a above average shooter from 3, and the 1st or 2nd best defensive player. Don't know why she chose not to play her senior year but she is missed and that hole will show in the post season.

Lets try not to let this degenerate into a trash Jack Blair thread. Crumley does an excellent job coaching. Collins was incredible again last night and the reserves got to play almost an entire half. Noone seemed to be able to shoot foul shots...except Rachel. Alcoa seemed to have a lot of talent...talk about poor coaching. They were outpaced and uncontrolled all night...no discipline.

QUOTE(volunteerfan23 @ Jan 17 2007 - 07:34 AM) 826334661[/snapback]

[

In all fairness to Blair, I don't think he had the talent that Coach Crumbley had or had the groundwork laid for him like Coach Burkey had established either. I am not trying to knock anyone that is just an assessment in my opinion.

I would have to disagree on the part that Blair never had the talent that Crumbley does. He had more talent than Coach Crumbley and Coach Burkey. I won't go into bashing Blair, He seems to do enough of that about others. I will agree that Burkey was a good coach, but you don't win as many games as these three coaches have without knowing what you are doing. They have only three losses this year and have competed in 2 out of 3 of those losses.

Collins played good again last night. I think overall this team is headed in the right direction. You don't see any unselfishness on this team. Good luck lady devils for the rest of the season.

Barb, what was the score last night? I haven't seen anything posted.

2nd - you made a comment about Devan (trying to get this thread back on an even keel) that I would like to address.

Devan is a great little player that has come from being at the end of the bench last year to a starter. She is a good ball handler, which helps against the press, she can shoot when allowed to, and is usually a good free thrower shooter. She struggled early this year I think partly with learning to play the 2, when she has been a point guard most of her life and is likely Greeneville point guard next year, and partly from coming off of the soccer field and trying to get her basketball skills back in line. If she continues to shoot well, she will cause defenses to think twice about doubling the post. An added plus is that she has played with Nicole forever, and seems to be able to get the ball to Nicole in the right spots.

I think Devan needs to continue to get positive feedback on her play, and she will continue to grow.

I believe that right now, Rachel Collins does exactly what she needs to do for Greeneville, as does Lamons. Yeah, Greeneville would be stronger if Lauren Anderson had not decided to concentrate on track, but Lamons does all the unselfish things that every team needs at least one player to do, especially a team with two big scores like Deans and Dickson. Collins role is to come of the bench and either relieve Deans or Dickson in the post, or relieve Lamons, moving Dickson to the 3, and creating a different look for the opponent. She would be a starter at just about any other school in the area. If you reverse the roles, I don't think Lamons off the bench gives you the same change up that Collins does.

For gosh sake people, they have lost what 3 games, all to great opponents, they are undefeated in the I-MAC, ranked 5th in the state. You sound like someone who bought a Lincoln Town Car, and complains about the gas mileage!

QUOTE(greenevillefan @ Jan 17 2007 - 09:08 AM) 826334718[/snapback]

I would have to disagree on the part that Blair never had the talent that Crumbley does. He had more talent than Coach Crumbley and Coach Burkey. I won't go into bashing Blair, He seems to do enough of that about others. I will agree that Burkey was a good coach, but you don't win as many games as these three coaches have without knowing what you are doing. They have only three losses this year and have competed in 2 out of 3 of those losses.

Collins played good again last night. I think overall this team is headed in the right direction. You don't see any unselfishness on this team. Good luck lady devils for the rest of the season.

Blair had incredible talent but ,like Burkey,could not control the attitudes. Crumley impressed me last night in the way she coached the younger girls in the second half. Using lopsided games as teaching venues is the hallmark of good coaching. Nothing drives a lesson home like a game situation in front of a large crowd.

These girls come into the high school program with sound fundamentals and skills thanks to the incredible Coach Muhlhahn at GMS. Maybe Crumley has the advantage over Blair and Burkey because she is a woman and is way better equipped to deal with the little dramas that are part of the girl's game. Whatever it is , it appears to be working...let's just enjoy it.