3 Riverdale (20-2)

4 Upperman (21-1)

5 Wilson Central (15-4)

6 Smyrna (15-3)

7 Clarkrange (18-2)

8 Livingston Acad. (17-4)

9 Red Boiling Springs (20-1)

10 Antioch (19-3)

They prefice this with the following statement: "The "Top 10" is an unscientific poll in which our prep writers, with input from area coaches, select the best teams in our coverage area regardless of classification".

Unscientific or not, I think it is very misleading to include all classifications in one poll. For example, below is a comparison of schedules of four of the top ten teams and Cookeville against common opponents and just to be clear, Cookeville is not a top ten team:

Numbers posted are margin of victory or defeat

Upperman/ Cookeville

Franklin Co. +11/ +4

Howard +43/ +29

Jackson Co. +10,+22/ +4,+28

Oliver Sp. +14/ +14

Shelbyville -24/ -18

Clarkrange/ Cookeville

Oliver Sp. +8/ +14

Jackson Co. +18/ +4,+28

Cumberland Co+15/ +35,+24

Lebanon +2/ +3

Pickett Co. +22/ +35

Livingston Acad./ Cookeville

Head to Head -13/ +13

Pickett Co. +18,+3/ +35

Jackson co. +5/ +28,+4

Red Boiling/ Cookeville

Pickett Co. +14/ +35

Jackson Co. +4,+4/ +28,+4

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(trueline @ Jan 15 2007 - 07:07 AM) 826332295[/snapback]

1 Mt. Juliet (18-1)

2 Shelbyville (17-1)

3 Riverdale (20-2)

4 Upperman (18-0)

5 Wilson Central (12-4)

6 Smyrna (15-3)

7 Clarkrange (16-2)

8 Livingston Acad. (14-3)

10 Antioch (19-3)

They prefice this with the following statement: "The "Top 10" is an unscientific poll in which our prep writers, with input from area coaches, select the best teams in our coverage area regardless of classification".

Unscientific or not, I think it is very misleading to include all classifications in one poll. For example, below is a comparison of schedules of four of the top ten teams and Cookeville against common opponents and just to be clear, Cookeville is not a top ten team:

Upperman/ Cookeville

Franklin Co. +11/ +4

Howard +43/ +29

Oliver Sp. +14/ +14

Shelbyville -24/ -18

Clarkrange/ Cookeville

Oliver Sp. +8/ +14

Jackson Co. +18/ +4,+28

Lebanon +2/ +3

Pickett Co. +22/ +35

Head to Head -13/ +13

Pickett Co. +18,+3/ +35

Jackson co. +5/ +28,+4

Red Boiling/ Cookeville

Pickett Co. +14/ +35

Upperman girls have a loss.

QUOTE(85warrior @ Jan 15 2007 - 07:39 AM) 826332302[/snapback]

Upperman girls have a loss.

True, this looks very good for Cookeville and while not quite as scientific as one would like, certainly makes a good case and wonder why the Cavs had no respect in this poll. They are the most overlooked team in the poll. Should be in the 7th spot at least.

1 Mt. Juliet (18-1)

2 Shelbyville (19-2)

3 Riverdale (20-2)

4 Upperman (21-1)

5 Wilson Central (15-4)

6 Smyrna (15-3)

7 Clarkrange (18-2)

10 Antioch (19-3)

Upperman/ Cookeville

Franklin Co. +11/ +4

Howard +43/ +29

Oliver Sp. +14/ +14

Shelbyville -24/ -18

Clarkrange/ Cookeville

Oliver Sp. +8/ +14

Jackson Co. +18/ +4,+28

Lebanon +2/ +3

Pickett Co. +22/ +35

Head to Head -13/ +13

Pickett Co. +18,+3/ +35

Jackson co. +5/ +28,+4

Red Boiling/ Cookeville

Pickett Co. +14/ +35

Pope John Paul II Girls are 14-2. I think they should be in the top ten

1 Mt. Juliet (18-1)

2 Shelbyville (19-2)

3 Riverdale (20-2)

4 Upperman (21-1)

5 Wilson Central (15-4)

6 Smyrna (15-3)

7 Clarkrange (18-2)

10 Antioch (19-3)

Upperman/ Cookeville

Franklin Co. +11/ +4

Howard +43/ +29

Oliver Sp. +14/ +14

Shelbyville -24/ -18

Clarkrange/ Cookeville

Oliver Sp. +8/ +14

Jackson Co. +18/ +4,+28

Lebanon +2/ +3

Pickett Co. +22/ +35

Head to Head -13/ +13

Pickett Co. +18,+3/ +35

Jackson co. +5/ +28,+4

Red Boiling/ Cookeville

Pickett Co. +14/ +35

Did you notice that all these teams you are comparing Cookeville to are AA an A teams? You should beat them by a larger margin because you are a AAA team.

Livingston Academy played Cookeville real early in the season and LA has gotten a lot better since then. LA beat a really good David Lipscomb team and at the time ranked #2 in AAA Cleavland team in the past two weeks. I think the Lady Cats deserves to be in this top ten list.

QUOTE(Wildcats#1 @ Jan 15 2007 - 04:47 PM) 826332855[/snapback]

Did you notice that all these teams you are comparing Cookeville to are AA an A teams? You should beat them by a larger margin because you are a AAA team.

Livingston Academy played Cookeville real early in the season and LA has gotten a lot better since then. LA beat a really good David Lipscomb team and at the time ranked #2 in AAA Cleavland team in the past two weeks. I think the Lady Cats deserves to be in this top ten list.

I appreciate you pointing out the obvious. I am well aware of the classifications of the teams in this poll. I am also aware that Livingston is a solid team that has improved greatly since they played Cookeville, but would you not agree that most teams have improved as the season has progressed? My intent is not to diminish any teams placement in the poll, but to point out that it is misleading to include teams from all three classifications.

Using your logic that AAA should beat AA and A teams by larger margins, then why would Cookeville not be considered as a top ten team when they have beaten all common opponents with the four teams of lower classification by equal or larger margins and lost by less in the one game to Shelbyville.

As I said in my original post, Cookeville is not a top ten team. There is alot of potential and they are improving every week. Their only losses have come from the #2 and #3 team in this poll and a good Beech team. They lost two games in Pheonix as indicated in their schedule. I'll leave it to you to determine the quality of those teams.

If you listed all the teams in the midstate in all three classes, maybe this is the top ten, but I don't see how you can compare the three. It's like saying that Forest can compete with Shelbyville or Wilson Central.

About your win against Cleveland, I find the absence of Kerri Simpson from the box score interesting. Did she play? If not, I would not be chest thumping about the win. That's like Livingston playing without Ashley Matthews.

QUOTE(WildcatsBasketball_3 @ Jan 15 2007 - 06:00 PM) 826332928[/snapback]

I'm not sure if I agree with Shelbyville being so high.They haven't looked that great this year except in some games.

They have played #1 schedule in state. Shelbyville has Losses to Wilson Central, Knox Webb. MJ only one loss should be No. 1. WC has 4 losses and Shelbyville blew out Riverdale earlier. Also Most of the other teams there are AA or A (ie SCHS easily defeated Upperman and Clarkrange) I rest my case/

QUOTE(jrm2x @ Jan 15 2007 - 11:17 PM) 826333352[/snapback]

They have played #1 schedule in state. Losses to Wilson Central, Knox Webb. MJ only one loss should be No. 1. WC has 4 losses and blew out Riverdale earlier. Most of the other teams there are AA or A (ie easily defeated Upperman and Clarkrange) I rest my case/

what are you talking about? riverdale beat wc 56-52 (nov. 14). riverdales only loses are to shelbyville 71-57 (nov. 20) and to smyrna 57-49 (dec. 30). riverdale had beaten smyrna earlier in the year and they will also get a chance to avenge the loss to shelbyville on feb. 12

QUOTE(tdntn @ Jan 16 2007 - 12:18 AM) 826333391[/snapback]

what are you talking about? riverdale beat wc 56-52 (nov. 14). riverdales only loses are to shelbyville 71-57 (nov. 20) and to smyrna 57-49 (dec. 30). riverdale had beaten smyrna earlier in the year and they will also get a chance to avenge the loss to shelbyville on feb. 12

If you read the 1st post I was responding to I was talking about Shelbyville and making their case for being that high. Wildcat said they didnt deserve to be that high. Sorry for the confusion.